Thread: CBS Eye On College Basketball Podcast: Geno addition, How About The Zags For #1

Default CBS Eye On College Basketball Podcast: Geno addition, How About The Zags For #1

You can listen to the podcast for free right here.....

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/cbs...etball-podcast

I am sure Matt Norlander will once again call Hachimura an awful defender when no other college basketball analyst I know of believes that (like, dude, did you watch the Ohio State game last March?):

If you have iTunes:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...268800565?mt=2

The podcast is available here, Gonzaga discussion starts at 31:09. https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...reseason-no-1/

I don't know why, but I can never get the CBS link to work on my PC. It just spins and spins. I always listen to the podcast on the Stitcher site.

I like Nevada's team, but Norlander is overrating Nevada. Nevada isn't strong at PG and center when it comes to playing against elite teams. And I could turn Norlander's argument around.....if Cincinnati had been to a sweet 16 or two in the past 5 years, they wouldn't have choked that huge lead against the Wolfpack last March. Do you really want to place that much trust in a team who had to stage huge comebacks to get to the elite 8, and then lost to Loyola Chicago in the elite 8 when they had a better roster? Nevada is a top 10 team. They are not a top 5 team.

But they are going to win an outrageous amount of games because the MWC has no one to challenge them. It will be interesting to follow their non-league schedule. I'd love to see them play against a Kansas or Kentucky. Not saying I don't like their team. They are final four good. But having them at #3 and over Gonzaga is a bit much. He also underestimates what Geno's impact is going to be. Gonzaga didn't even possess a backup PG before getting Geno, and that's just the beginning.

Tillie is the key to me and the guy I wonder about. He's outrageously talented but pulls the Casper act too often.
    when the better teams attack him and he's forced to defend 1v1 play after play, especially on the perimeter, and when teams get physical with him, he's responded with inconsistency at best. Remember UNCG? Ohio St.? The UNCG game plan could not have been more obvious.
    To me, if he adjusts to the physical play inside that teams appear to have scouted, and the isolartion perimeter D which also seemed to me what opponents wanted to force out of the switching Zag D, he can be the consistent force needed. To date, he has not adjusted well to that tho imo.
    I'm rooting for him to make that leap this year, believe he can totally do it. we'll see

Great, and Welcome! Now, let’s add a foreign big who can defend the rim, get a decent opponent (SEC?) to fill the schedule, and focus on next season!

Go Zags!

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    Tillie is the key to me and the guy I wonder about. He's outrageously talented but pulls the Casper act too often.
    when the better teams attack him and he's forced to defend 1v1 play after play, especially on the perimeter, and when teams get physical with him, he's responded with inconsistency at best. Remember UNCG? Ohio St.? The UNCG game plan could not have been more obvious.
    To me, if he adjusts to the physical play inside that teams appear to have scouted, and the isolartion perimeter D which also seemed to me what opponents wanted to force out of the switching Zag D, he can be the consistent force needed. To date, he has not adjusted well to that tho imo.
    I'm rooting for him to make that leap this year, believe he can totally do it. we'll see
    The great part of having so much versatility and depth this year is that we can pull him if needed. Put him on the bench and go with clarke and rui at c/pf. We have enough options this year that an opposing team shouldnt be able to beat us by focusing their game plan around one person.

Tillie's biggest issue continues to be his lack of consistency. Some games he is a complete no show. Not sure why. It's not an issue of playing hard, because he always plays hard. But there is zero reason why he shouldn't be putting up consistent numbers every night. I also really hope to see more improvement in his back to the basket, low post offensive game this year. I know what he can do when he's facing the hoop against a high major defender or when he tosses in a hook shot against a 6-7 WCC defender. I just want to see more aggression out of him when they throw the ball into him with his back to the hoop. I just feel he tries to finesse things too much at times. Whereas Zach Collins would take a guy to the woodshed with an attitude of "I am backing you down with a low post move that will involve a turnaround shot in your face and there is nothing you can do to stop it." It would just bring Tillie's game to a new level.