Thread: Would the following team finish 2nd in the WCC this season?

Default Would the following team finish 2nd in the WCC this season?

PG: Ayayi
    SG: Crandall
    SF: Kispert
    PF: Petrusev
    C: Larsen

This team, imho is the second most talented team in the WCC. Obviously I'm being a bit facetious,but we are freakin' loaded!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post

This team, imho is the second most talented team in the WCC. Obviously I'm being a bit facetious,but we are freakin' loaded!!!
    I dislike threads like this Spy. It gives more ammo to every other fan base to hate us. I remember a wcc coach once made a disparaging comment about our Zag fans regarding a similar post a few years ago.

Also, my honest answer is no.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    I dislike threads like this Spy. It gives more ammo to every other fan base to hate us. I remember a wcc coach once made a disparaging comment about our Zag fans regarding a similar post a few years ago.

Also, my honest answer is no.
    What?!?!?! I'm posting this on our board, not a WCC board.

It gets out there. I think there are many lurkers on this board.
    JMHO. I appreciate your Zag zeal.

No way. Maybe 4th. Maybe. Pepperdine returns 5 of their Top scorers and some good recruits too.

That resserve team would finish behind SMC and BYU who both add really good transfers, incoming recruits, RS Frosh, and players returning from missionaries.

I posted this earlier yet BYU's entire starting 5 next season are ALL rated 4*, Top 100 recruits via ESPN. And two were Top 50 recruits from previous seasons.

So, not the 'most talented' team either if based off recruiting accolades. Appreciate the optimism but take off the rose colored shaded every so often.

Geno may not even be the best transfer either as SMC got a REALLY good combo fwd from South Florida who is now eligible.
    "Rob plays with a high level of intensity when it's time, has a good time when it's not ... I love his enthusiasm and his zest for life. He picks us all up when he enters the gym."

-- Coach Few

I hope it's okay with Zags11, but I joined the group that his given this thread 1 star.

no

It's only five guys. They'd finish last. They'd get gassed, somebody would commit five fouls, then they'd finish the game with fewer than five on the court. Most of the games would end like that. And if someone gets hurt . . .

SMC's roster is going to be a lot more talented than the previous group. More athletic by far; it's just a matter of how long it takes them to gel. Ford is ready to be a star. Fitts is going to give them a dimension they lacked last year, and Menzies is a game changer due to his size alone. Tass looks great in videos, and the talk on SMC's board suggests he may have a hard time getting major minutes this year. Thomas seems ready to step into a bigger role as well.

That's not even mentioning Fotu, Mudronja, Zoriks, Clinton or the other returners- Krebs, Hunter, Perry.

Might be their best recruiting class ever, incl the transfers/redshirts.

Others read "our" board. Provoking the non GU fans is a shortsighted adventure.

That team would finish no better than 3, and quite possibly 6th behind SMC, BYU, Pepperdine (fantastic recruiting class under Romar), San Diego and USF.
    Last edited by ZagsObserver; 07-05-2018 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Typo

Good grief. It’s a fun hypothetical to ask on a GU board. Who cares if “others” read this board? Fun question during a long offseason, Spy.

Many of the Zags' biggest detractors out there suggest that the winning the WCC is a cakewalk. The suggestion that our second unit would finish in second place doesn't just tout the depth of this coming year's roster (which is true), it actually supports the notion of a weak, easily dominated conference, thereby undercutting the otherwise ultra-impressive track record of conference titles and tourney appearances. There will be several tough teams in the WCC this year, and IMO, the second unit wouldn't finish in the top half of the WCC.

It's the annual "our bench could beat the WCC's 1st string lineups" thread. . .

Thought I had missed it.
    Last edited by RenoZag; 07-20-2018 at 07:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAGzag View Post
    Good grief. It’s a fun hypothetical to ask on a GU board. Who cares if “others” read this board? Fun question during a long offseason, Spy.
    Thank you. I even said that I was being facetious in the opening post and was really just so proud as a Zags fan about how deep and talented our team is. Kind of surprised by the seriousness of the responses but, oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan24 View Post
    Many of the Zags' biggest detractors out there suggest that the winning the WCC is a cakewalk. The suggestion that our second unit would finish in second place doesn't just tout the depth of this coming year's roster (which is true), it actually supports the notion of a weak, easily dominated conference, thereby undercutting the otherwise ultra-impressive track record of conference titles and tourney appearances. There will be several tough teams in the WCC this year, and IMO, the second unit wouldn't finish in the top half of the WCC.
    Not being facetious, I actually disagree with that. I obviously didn't include several players can come off the bench but I think for sure this team would finish in the upper half of the WCC.

I hope they would do well since most of them will be logging lots of minutes in the 19-20 season along with some new guys.

I wouldnt say zags are loaded, because their bench isnt as strong as you suggest. They are absolutely loaded 1-6, with every player having potential all conference (and some all-american) ability. They might have more talent, 1-6, than anyone not named Kentucky, Duke, or Kansas.

After that first 6 though, it is pretty thin with only Kispert being a proven commodity, and he was up and down his freshman year.

Quote Originally Posted by JAGzag View Post
    No kidding...some Zag fans are nauseating in the way they tell others to conduct themselves
    I would never be a sellout............unless of course I got a boat load of money to do it

Wait Zagster......are you telling Zag fans to conduct themselves differently-- careful as you will be labeled "nauseating".

I am going with "no" for OP team finishing 2nd in league.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Wait Zagster......are you telling Zag fans to conduct themselves differently-- careful as you will be labeled "nauseating".

I am going with "no" for OP team finishing 2nd in league.
    But my approach is fun and cheeky...whereas others are sad and tragic
    I would never be a sellout............unless of course I got a boat load of money to do it

Quote Originally Posted by Zagsker View Post
    No kidding...some Zag fans are nauseating in the way they tell others to conduct themselves
    I think a lot of the response may have to do with the poster who started the thread and not necessarily the thread itself. He rubs some people the wrong way.