Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Welcome Geno Crandall !

Boy was I wrong-o. Color me ecstatic now. The missing piece.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    I think he’ll be a sub who gets 20+ minutes a game.
    If he starts, all the better. Let completion bring out the best in everyone.
    Welcome Geno!
    This is what I see as well. He will get plenty of minutes that's no qs. Unless Perks is delayed to start the season I see Crandall coming off the bench. I just dont see how he will uproot Perks, ZN or Rui, not happening. Clarke will start as well, Tillie will start, so I cant think of a place he starts if everyone is healthy.
    America's Team!

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyzag View Post
    If Geno starts that means Rui wouldn't, and that ain't gonna happen y'all.

Geno isn't starting over Perk, he isn't starting over Norvell, and if he's playing alongside those two that means either Rui, Tillie, or Clarke would have to come off the bench. Those are three of our strongest players (if what we've heard about Clarke in practice is true).

Few finds a way to get Rui to start. If it's at the 4 then Tillie starts at the 5 and Clarke comes off the bench. I just don't see that happening though.

Starting lineup:

Josh Perkins
    Zach Norvell
    Rui Hachimura
    Brandon Clarke
    Killian Tille

First off the bench:

Kispert
    Crandall
    Larsen
    Petrusev
    This is exactly how I saw it too, but apparently many posters think otherwise. Either way we are freakin' loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Boy was I wrong-o. Color me ecstatic now. The missing piece.
    I don’t quite understand your staunch negativity at times, but there is no denying your loyalty.

Great pickup for Gonzaga.

FTR, I had no idea on where he’d go. Just like BW. I only invest emotion once they ZagUp!

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    This is exactly how I saw it too, but apparently many posters think otherwise. Either way we are freakin' loaded.
    True! But I agree, I want to hear from these posters about who's spot he's taking in the starting lineup.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyzag View Post
    If Geno starts that means Rui wouldn't, and that ain't gonna happen y'all.

Geno isn't starting over Perk, he isn't starting over Norvell, and if he's playing alongside those two that means either Rui, Tillie, or Clarke would have to come off the bench. Those are three of our strongest players (if what we've heard about Clarke in practice is true).

Few finds a way to get Rui to start. If it's at the 4 then Tillie starts at the 5 and Clarke comes off the bench. I just don't see that happening though.

Starting lineup:

Josh Perkins
    Zach Norvell
    Rui Hachimura
    Brandon Clarke
    Killian Tille

First off the bench:

Kispert
    Crandall
    Larsen
    Petrusev
    Switch kispert with Crandall and Ayayi in place of Petrusev (rs candidate?).

Either way, the coaches will figure it out. The goal of the entire team, regardless of role, will be a championship.

From Twitter:
    Reid Travis
    ‏ @2ReidTravis2

Reid Travis Retweeted G-Muhneyy

Couldn’t be happier for my brother @genocrandall !!

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    disagree....writer took cheap shots at Josh.
    Yup. Dauster sounds like a moron. Still talking about Josh's largely fictional turnovers, ignoring his outstanding 2.5/1 a/to ratio.

I'm very excited to have Crandall, though.

“Liked”

Me thinks:

Geno
    Perkins
    Norvell
    Hachimura
    Clarke

I think GU has to start Geno at the point guard to see if they can get improvement out of the position, and if Josh feels more comfortable at the shooting guard which is where he had his best season as a Zag with Nigel at his side. They can always switch back.

Few will never bench Perkins to allow Rui to play small forward, so I expect Rui to start at PF with Clarke as the other starter.

That being said, I see Few using all sorts of lineups, and not always finishing with the same one. This might be his most versatile bunch ever.

Is Larsen really going to take the next step? I personally think Petrusev ends up ahead of Larsen but would love to be wrong. In a perfect world, I'd like to see both Petrusev and Foster RS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post
    starting 5 to start the year (assuming all healthy)

JP, GC, ZN, RH, KT....Clarke with 25 minutes a game off bench spelling KT, RH at forward spots. Kispert gets his minutes spelling the wings.
    Few has always preferred 3 guard lineups and now he has that 3rd guard to make it work next season
    Been saying this for months mile. (Well with whichever guard committed or transferred in)

Somewhat agree CDC. Think Josh is still the point and I’d be surprised if Tillie didn’t start. That being said, the top 6 may all see over 25mpg.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    Is Larsen really going to take the next step? I personally think Petrusev ends up ahead of Larsen but would love to be wrong. In a perfect world, I'd like to see both Petrusev and Foster RS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I think he does. I’d be surprised if we saw the true freshmen this year. Would be mighty hard to break into this 10.

Perkins
    Crandall
    Norvell
    Rui
    Tillie
    Clarke
    Kispert
    Jones
    Larsen
    Ayayi

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    I think he does. I’d be surprised if we saw the true freshmen this year. Would be mighty hard to break into this 10.

Perkins
    Crandall
    Norvell
    Rui
    Tillie
    Clarke
    Kispert
    Jones
    Larsen
    Ayayi
    6 ft 9 in athletic guys is all you really need for bigs. We've been spoiled with the plethora of 6 ft 10 in kids or 7 footers. One thing is pretty obvious, few has assembled among the most versatile line ups in the country. Like nothing we've seen before really. Too bad Travis and his 'brother" didn't both come. Should make for a wild Maui I think me and the wife will get new "travelin" shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post
    starting 5 to start the year (assuming all healthy)

JP, GC, ZN, RH, KT....Clarke with 25 minutes a game off bench spelling KT, RH at forward spots. Kispert gets his minutes spelling the wings.
    Few has always preferred 3 guard lineups and now he has that 3rd guard to make it work next season
    Going to be hard to compare this team to past teams for Few's tendencies. We know that Rui and Tillie are probably going to start. Probably Zach and definitely Josh if healthy, so it's between Clarke who has a redshirt and Geno who doesn't. This will be interesting to say the least. These are Duke, UNC types of problems. Too much talent. Only one ball. Is Tillie fully healthy? How bout Josh?

Quote Originally Posted by EEzag View Post
    Going to be hard to compare this team to past teams for Few's tendencies. We know that Rui and Tillie are probably going to start. Probably Zach and definitely Josh if healthy, so it's between Clarke who has a redshirt and Geno who doesn't. This will be interesting to say the least. These are Duke, UNC types of problems. Too much talent. Only one ball. Is Tillie fully healthy? How bout Josh?
    Tillie is healthy and Josh is on schedule per Meehan

Good problem to have -- so much talent the opposing teams wont know who to prepare for.

Looks to me like a Perkins, Crandall, Norvell at the 1.2.3 to start, based on a long Zag/Few history. Rui hasn't demonstrated the perimeter game to play the 3 full time; plays like a classic college 4 at this point. I tend to think he and Tillie start in the frontcourt simply due to the fact that they're returners, and Clarke is the newcomer, as seniority in the system is usually the deciding factor when players are close in ability

Quote Originally Posted by EEzag View Post
    He used it to transfer in

Amazing to see how fast the sentiment of things has changed. Geno does a few things better than JP, that you don't want JP doing (because of the shoulder). GC's dribble-drive game is good, as is his finishing ability. Can't keep thinking about it as we would have in the past, in terms of offense. The point duties will "float" in the half court, as guards get more and more comfortable with Few's Motion offense. And as already been mentioned: JP played well as being primarily off-ball. Everything will work itself out. Starting 5's are going to be less and less relevant in certain circumstances (for college basketball). This is going to be one of those.

This team is deep, and athletic. Some fans are still going to go through some growing pains, as they watch this transformation occur in real time.

Why are we always so eager to name a starter? IMHO the player that deserves to start, will start. Competition breeds hunger to excel and succeed. I know we all like to be coach and speculate what will happen, but I for one don't care who starts or is the "Super 6th Man". Bottom line is that we are very talented and just got more talented and deeper. Excitement for this season just went up a notch! (if that's possible) Go Zags!

Zagnut 2012

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Me thinks:

Geno
    Perkins
    Norvell
    Hachimura
    Clarke

I think GU has to start Geno at the point guard to see if they can get improvement out of the position, and if Josh feels more comfortable at the shooting guard which is where he had his best season as a Zag with Nigel at his side. They can always switch back.

Few will never bench Perkins to allow Rui to play small forward, so I expect Rui to start at PF with Clarke as the other starter.

That being said, I see Few using all sorts of lineups, and not always finishing with the same one. This might be his most versatile bunch ever.
    Agree! Proven depth at the bigs is closest thing to a weakness this roster has. Tillie tends to disappear at times...being 6th man super sub may help him develop a consistent attack mode attitude. In Few We Trust.
    “I don’t expect us to be perfect anytime soon,” guard Silas Melson said, “but one thing I do expect is trying to get better every day and playing tougher, harder and more physical than the opponent.”

From twitter:
    Ken Pomeroy
    ✔@kenpomeroy

On one hand, Gonzaga is getting the best player from the 239th-ranked team. On the other, they are getting a guy who almost engineered the single-biggest upset of the year against them.
    11:00 AM - Jul 5, 2018 · Salt Lake City, UT

I see Perkins, Crandall, Norvell, Kispert, Hachimura, Clarke, and Tillie each getting between 20-30 mpg regardless of who starts. Hopefully 1 or 2 of Ayayi, Foster, Jones, Petrusev, or Larsen will be able to step up and earn more than spot minutes this year to round out the rotation.