Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Geno Crandall

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Gopher fans visibly upset, understandably so. Some pretty harsh comments:

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boa...randall/page38
    Yeeeesssh. That's rough.

I am happier for him than I am for the Zags. I think his time at Gonzaga will prove to be a great lifetime investment for him, on the court, in the classroom, the family feeling of a smaller school, the friends he’ll make and the spotlight that will shine on him (and the Zags) as the season progresses, setting him up for a possible pro career.

I think he’ll get lots of playing time and help our other guards keep fresh legs. A real deal as the season takes its physical and mental toll.

Welcome, Geno!

Ton of respect for GC, he knew that he would be a starter for his hometown team, but chose to most likely be a super sub 6th man for us.
    He will start.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    disagree....writer took cheap shots at Josh.
    Terrible article, plus already assumed he is a back-up. Not so fast and who really cares whether he starts or not...he will be playing significant PT. So will the other best players.

Geno lit us up for a reason. He is long, quick, can pass and shoot at high clip! Aggressive, agile, and will provide terrific versatility at the 1...and the 2.

Few likes Norvell at the 3, along with Rui, but given our rebounding woes at times, will need to play Rui at the 4 as well next season, even with Clarke mixing it up. Killian can't play the 5 for 30 mins per game, at least defensively. Of course we'll play Rui at the 3 on occasion, esp to exploit mis-matches, but will need him as a BIG for us too. I get the, "but his NBA position is this...". Well, as good as he is at the 3, and dominate, we still need him down low defensively with Norvell and Kispert rocking out rebounds, shooting, and slashing at the 3. Rui's best position is the 3, but our best TEAM is maybe not him there all game...

Also, we under-valued J3's ability to guard bigger dudes. His length, athleticism, and sneaky weight (235lbs) helped that. Remember, Clarke is 215lbs, Tillie is 220, and Rui is nearly 240lbs, so do the math defensively vs certain lineups. Norvell will still be playing a slashing wing role and spreading offense, along with more controlled perimeter at the 2, yet the 3 free's him up even more. Geno and Perkins will man the backcourt and shoot and distribute.
    "Rob plays with a high level of intensity when it's time, has a good time when it's not ... I love his enthusiasm and his zest for life. He picks us all up when he enters the gym."

-- Coach Few

disagree....writer took cheap shots at Josh.
    Yes he did! He apparently does little research and probably has no idea about Josh playing injured all last year.

I’m relieved and happy that Geno is not only going to contribute in a big way but also takes some pressure off the the rest of the team.
    "I'm telling you Tillie knows how to play." - Mark Few

Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    Yes he did! He apparently does little research and probably has no idea about Josh playing injured all last year.
    not to mention, all the TO issues were cleaned up by 2018...and had a 2:1 assist to TO avg in 3 NCAA games.
    "Rob plays with a high level of intensity when it's time, has a good time when it's not ... I love his enthusiasm and his zest for life. He picks us all up when he enters the gym."

-- Coach Few

"These guys are good"...….the coaches pull another rabbit out of their hat......the missing piece....

Now Foster and and Ayayi have time to adjust and Josh can continue to heal if he needs more time.
    "I'm telling you Tillie knows how to play." - Mark Few

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    "These guys are good"...….the coaches pull another rabbit out of their hat......the missing piece....
    One thing we can be pretty sure about: There are no false promises about starting and playing time. I wonder if this is an indication as to the state of Josh's shoulder rehab. I'll defer to others that have seen him play as to his ability to contribute.

Welcome Geno!

Hey, did you happen to catch Judge Judy the other night?

HUGE Congrats to Geno and Gonzaga! Match made in Spokane.

Had a feeling as Perkins and him became fast friends after battling all game in late December...he even had a picture of Perkins on his Twitter page this entire year. Fore shadow much?

As a Gopher season tix holder, was told MN was in 3rd place, which I posted here. No comments as most presumed the exact opposite. Also heard Xavier was the initial spot given his relationships, but we were neck and neck, and then meeting guys like NWG, McClellan, Sacre, and the current team last weekend put us over the top. Obviously our Top 5 status sold itself along with having a lifelong home in a 2nd City was appealing.

Returning to home to Minneapolis for the Final 4, perhaps?

Now...on to serious business. He still has a couple classes to finish before being eligible, he was more behind the the typical grad transfer. I believe he will complete the credits in time, more than motivated to do so.

Big get for us and for him. Adds the experience and depth needed esp come March and vs numerous Top-10 teams.

Geno is loose with the ball, as his 3.5 TO's per game are rather high, yet he has proven to be a good passer, shooter, defender when needed. He was also asked to score first for his team which lead to many forced TO's. Our system is very different than ND's ball control and shoot offense, so will take some time....

Big news today, plus we possibly got the best grad transfer defender of the entire group, not to go unmentioned.

Question

I’m going to take issue with NBC’s statement that Geno’s decision isn’t a “ season changer “ for the Zags, won’t be a WNGoss. Maybe not a Nigel, but when you consider what Geno’s addition does for the Zags as a team, I think it adds a blanket of security, a “ totality” to the team that it needed to
    really excel.

If not a “season changer,” a season securer.” .?

The only other player I’d like to see come on board would be one of those Florida State type guys who played maybe 8 minutes a game but scored a couple points and grabbed 4 rebounds.
    But maybe again we already have that guy?

Quote Originally Posted by doctorzag View Post
    He will start.
    Until Josh is healthy, sure. But if JP is 100% healthy he's not gonna start over Perks, Norvell or Rui.

“When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

I am so excited for this coming season...

Quote Originally Posted by doctorzag View Post
    He will start.
    Who else do you see in the starting lineup with Geno?
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Wayne Gretzky

Gonzaga could climb in top 25 with addition of grad transfer guard Geno Crandall

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...medium=twitter

That is an unusually, badly worded article title because TSN had the Zags at #6 before they landed Geno (it would've been better to say "they could rise in the top 10") and considered them a national title threat before they landed Geno. The Zags, without question, will rise with Geno's signing as TSN's main concern with last year's NCAA team in the west region were its point guard issues (depth and other things) when facing super elite perimeter defenses like Michigan had.

it seems like many of you guys/gals think he will start. I see him as a super sub ala Zach. But if he does start who do you guys seem him replacing?

it seems like many of you guys/gals think he will start. I see him as a super sub ala Zach. But if he does start who do you guys seem him replacing?
    its more about minutes played than being a starter in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaholicPodcast View Post
    Yeeeesssh. That's rough.
    it gets worse on pages 39 and 40. They're upset, understood, I suppose.

its more about minutes played than being a starter in my opinion.
    yes, I agree 100%. I saw him playing a ton as a super sub, but many are saying he will start. I was just wondering over who.

I think he’ll be a sub who gets 20+ minutes a game.
    If he starts, all the better. Let completion bring out the best in everyone.
    Welcome Geno!

starting 5 to start the year (assuming all healthy)

JP, GC, ZN, RH, KT....Clarke with 25 minutes a game off bench spelling KT, RH at forward spots. Kispert gets his minutes spelling the wings.
    Few has always preferred 3 guard lineups and now he has that 3rd guard to make it work next season

If Geno starts that means Rui wouldn't, and that ain't gonna happen y'all.

Geno isn't starting over Perk, he isn't starting over Norvell, and if he's playing alongside those two that means either Rui, Tillie, or Clarke would have to come off the bench. Those are three of our strongest players (if what we've heard about Clarke in practice is true).

Few finds a way to get Rui to start. If it's at the 4 then Tillie starts at the 5 and Clarke comes off the bench. I just don't see that happening though.

Starting lineup:

Josh Perkins
    Zach Norvell
    Rui Hachimura
    Brandon Clarke
    Killian Tille

First off the bench:

Kispert
    Crandall
    Larsen
    Petrusev
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."