Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Geno Crandall

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaholicPodcast View Post
    Amazing to see how fast the sentiment of things has changed. Geno does a few things better than JP, that you don't want JP doing (because of the shoulder). GC's dribble-drive game is good, as is his finishing ability. Can't keep thinking about it as we would have in the past, in terms of offense. The point duties will "float" in the half court, as guards get more and more comfortable with Few's Motion offense. And as already been mentioned: JP played well as being primarily off-ball. Everything will work itself out. Starting 5's are going to be less and less relevant in certain circumstances (for college basketball). This is going to be one of those.

This team is deep, and athletic. Some fans are still going to go through some growing pains, as they watch this transformation occur in real time.

...And living through that settling down period for some fans will be an exercise in patience for the rest of us who don’t always agree on the nature of constructive criticism.

Time will tell who’s going to start. I think it’s safe to say that a few bench players will get some good minutes. We have a very good team!
    Parlez-vous français?

I think you may see more variance in starting lineups depending on matchups this year, given the level of flexibility our roster has. Plus, we're much better protected against potential injuries, which always crop up in one form or another. This makes me feel so much better about our overall depth. If he manages to beat out Zach, or plays so well that one of the bigs is pushed to the bench and we run three guards, what a great problem to have. Regardless of whether or not he starts, he should get plenty of minutes.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Welcome Geno! My favorite place on weekends at GU during 1971 - 1972 was Geno's Pizza Plant adjacent to University Foods on Hamilton. Doubt that you guys are related, but anybody named Geno deserves a high-five and a great pizza after the game!

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    disagree....writer took cheap shots at Josh.
    Agree. Josh being good enough isn't the question, he answered that in spades last season. The question is if Josh is healthy enough.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyzag View Post
    Who else do you see in the starting lineup with Geno?
    Perkins and Clarke for sure. Then two of these three, Rui, Killian or Zack

Everyone wants to play and everyone wants to start....he could start.... some others need to improve on their defense and be more consistent on offense.....I just saw him play that one game, but he was outstanding...….. and his career shooting numbers are notable...

Huge get for the Zags! Don’t care about who starts since the best Zag team to date had an NBA lottery pick coming off the bench as one of 8 reliable contributors! This team currently appears to have 7 bonafide contributors:

Perkins
    Geno
    Norvell
    Rui
    Kispert
    Clarke
    Tillie

It’d be really nice to see them add one more guy, or if one of the rest of the roster proves their ability to step up. Petrusev seems like he’s the most likely, but who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Me thinks:

Geno
    Perkins
    Norvell
    Hachimura
    Clarke

I think GU has to start Geno at the point guard to see if they can get improvement out of the position, and if Josh feels more comfortable at the shooting guard which is where he had his best season as a Zag with Nigel at his side. They can always switch back.

Few will never bench Perkins to allow Rui to play small forward, so I expect Rui to start at PF with Clarke as the other starter.

That being said, I see Few using all sorts of lineups, and not always finishing with the same one. This might be his most versatile bunch ever.
    I don't know if that is a starting lineup or not, but I think we will see lots of it. Few loves two PGs on the floor.

I am super excited to see this! The depth and versatility make this team exceptional!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    I think you may see more variance in starting lineups depending on matchups this year, given the level of flexibility our roster has. Plus, we're much better protected against potential injuries, which always crop up in one form or another. This makes me feel so much better about our overall depth. If he manages to beat out Zach, or plays so well that one of the bigs is pushed to the bench and we run three guards, what a great problem to have. Regardless of whether or not he starts, he should get plenty of minutes.
    When Karnowski signed in Europe, someone posted that European teams very seldom start the same 5 each game, they
    tailor a starting five depending on the opposition and the matchups. This seems to make a lot of sense and certainly could
    be a viable approach with all the fine players we have.

This also gets us away from all the who will/should start stuff and the implication that a starter is better than
    the first or second guy off the bench. With this group of Zags, at least with our best 8, there needs to be no stigma
    attached to a non starter or any second guessing. We need to adopt and adapt to that European model. Best of all concerned, players and fans alike.

Yay
    Welcome Geno
    Rewatching this game now, Geno's defense. Exciting

Geno played 40+min 5 times last season....45 in our game

welcome geno!
    glad to have your on board, time will show this was a great decision.

- as to posters, really do not care who starts, who gets so much playing time, key is more depth, more flexibility, more talent. we all want that.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    welcome geno!
    glad to have your on board, time will show this was a great decision.

- as to posters, really do not care who starts, who gets so much playing time, key is more depth, more flexibility, more talent. we all want that.
    This! Welcome Geno!

Dandy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do not care who starts. But what I would like to see is this team run other teams off the court. Every player plays as hard as they can for X minutes and then a replacement comes in and does the same. We have
    Point guard - Perkins, Geno, Ayayi, Foster
    Shooting - Zach, Geno,
    Small forward - Rui, and Kispert
    Power forward - Clarke and Tillie and Jones
    Center - Clarke, Larsen, and freshman

That group is going to cause many mismatches and could run them so they make mistakes near the end of games

Quote Originally Posted by zag67 View Post
    Do not care who starts. But what I would like to see is this team run other teams off the court. Every player plays as hard as they can for X minutes and then a replacement comes in and does the same. We have
    Point guard - Perkins, Geno, Ayayi, Foster
    Shooting - Zach, Geno,
    Small forward - Rui, and Kispert
    Power forward - Clarke and Tillie and Jones
    Center - Clarke, Larsen, and freshman

That group is going to cause many mismatches and could run them so they make mistakes near the end of games
    I think Crandall's arrival pretty much seals the deal that Foster redshirts barring injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    I think Crandall's arrival pretty much seals the deal that Foster redshirts barring injuries.
    Welcome Geno!!! Normally I'd agree but I think both Joel and Foster should see some time this year since they will have the ball next year.

"When it came time for me to make a decision, GU seemed like the natural fit for me that had everything I was looking for in my last year of college basketball: a winning program, great coaches with a proven track record for player development, a good group of guys and an excellent culture," Crandall said in a statement. "I'm excited to be a part of the Gonzaga family and look forward to leaving my mark by helping this team in whatever way I can to reach our goal of hanging a national championship banner in the Kennel."

https://www.gonzagabulletin.com/spor...a639da47a.html

Dan made the comment “Crandall has been talked about as a sleeper as to his pro potential” during broadcast....

Geno rejected Zach at the rim made multiple acrobatic shots and drained the 3 to send game to OT....played the last 10 min of the game with 4 fouls....he has quick feet and hands...wow

So much certainty he wasn’t coming.

Glad to have him.

Geno Crandall

Position: Guard
    6-2, 170lb (188cm, 77kg)
    Hometown: Minneapolis, MN
    High School: DeLaSalle HS
    School: North Dakota

Support us without the ads? Go Ad-Free.

SUMMARY

2017-18
    Career

G

PTS

TRB

AST

FG%

FG3%

FT%

eFG%

PER

WS

Season
    2015-16
    2016-17
    2017-18
    Career

Season School Conf G GS MP FG FGA FG% 2P 2PA 2P% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS SOS
    2015-16 North Dakota Big Sky 31 27 30.2 3.6 8.8 .415 2.8 6.0 .462 0.9 2.8 .314 2.6 3.6 .723 0.6 3.6 4.2 4.2 1.9 0.3 3.0 3.4 10.8 -4.91
    2016-17 North Dakota Big Sky 31 31 32.5 5.3 10.5 .503 4.0 7.0 .576 1.2 3.5 .355 3.8 5.0 .750 0.8 3.2 4.0 4.4 2.1 0.3 3.3 3.2 15.5 -5.45
    2017-18 North Dakota Big Sky 32 32 33.4 5.6 11.1 .503 4.0 7.4 .547 1.6 3.8 .417 3.8 5.3 .728 1.0 3.3 4.3 3.6 2.1 0.1 3.3 3.0 16.6 -0.20

Quote Originally Posted by El Zag View Post
    Geno Crandall

Position: Guard
    6-2, 170lb (188cm, 77kg)
    Hometown: Minneapolis, MN
    Definitely not 6'2" unless Perkins and Silas are actually 6'1".

In our game last Dec, Geno was as tall, if not taller than both Perkins & Silas...whom are listed at 6'3".

Matter of fact his natural length caused serious trouble as he had 3 steals and prolly tipped or deflected 5 passes along entry or perimeter.

Welcome Geno Crandall! You're going to like it here and fit right in.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post

I think GU has to start Geno at the point guard to see if they can get improvement out of the position, and if Josh feels more comfortable at the shooting guard which is where he had his best season as a Zag with Nigel at his side. They can always switch back.
    Not sure how you surmised that 16-17 was his best year when it was undeniably his worst season as a Zag. 8pts, 3ssists. and 1.5/1 TO ratio. He was better the year before AND much better last year when he averaged 13 pts 5 assists and had a 2.5/1 TO ratio.

And Josh always has been much more comfortable playing pg.

Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post
    Not sure how you surmised that 16-17 was his best year when it was undeniably his worst season as a Zag. 8pts, 3ssists. and 1.5/1 TO ratio. He was better the year before AND much better last year when he averaged 13 pts 5 assists and had a 2.5/1 TO ratio.

And Josh always has been much more comfortable playing pg.
    Agreed - Josh had a fantastic season last year; I see him taking the same role in the 2-pg system that NWG did back in 16-17.

Additionally, it struck just how much experience the top six potential starters have here:

Perkins - RS Senior
    Crandall - Senior
    Norvell - RS Sophomore
    Clarke - RS Junior
    Tillie - Junior
    Hachimura - Junior

That is a lot of varsity experience there.