Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Johnathan Williams III in Summer League for the Lakers

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    For the life of me, I just don't understand why his coaches did get him to shoot properly...this could well cost him millions over his life time...I don't think it is too late to change his form but he will have to take "lessons" and then have "perfect practice" to develop a proper shooting stroke...he doesn't use legs in any of his non-layup shots...

I remember Wilt trying anything to improve his FT shooting and think his best success came under-handed ala Calvin Murphy and Rich Barry...He has to try something...IMO

One more thought...Rui has to find a stroke with the proper arc in shooting his jump shoots...One of my college professors wrote he thesis on the proper angle for shooting jump shoots...39-54 degrees...I hope he also finds the stroke...
    agree 100%

like it or not....Zags program takes a hit for allowing a 3 year player to exit the program with such a glaring deficiency for whatever reason/excuse IMO

I know Jock is also playing but don't remember the team...are there any other WCC players in the NBASL?
    Jock is with the Hawks and Naar is with the Suns.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada Don View Post
    Jock is with the Hawks and Naar is with the Suns.
    Thanks!

Jonathan with the start today!
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

JW3 starting for the Lakers vs. Golden State. Good Luck, JW3!

Box Score

Not a great showing from Williams today. -10 with 7 rebounds, 1 block, 3 turnovers and 0 points

Quote Originally Posted by Ezag View Post
    Not a great showing from Williams today. -10 with 7 rebounds, 1 block, 3 turnovers and 0 points
    Great prospect in many ways yet just not quite good enough of a shooter ...

Has a chance but likely not, will be great in Europe

If Brandon Davies can make 2 million per yr in Europe, why not J3?

Great person and player. Fight on J3!
    "Rob plays with a high level of intensity when it's time, has a good time when it's not ... I love his enthusiasm and his zest for life. He picks us all up when he enters the gym."

-- Coach Few

Well he sure seems to be getting a lot of minutes for someone with a slim chance. 8 pts 8 rebounds against Clippers.

Jordan Mathews was on the Clips bench....

NBA G League

Verified account

@nbagleague
    Follow Follow @nbagleague
    More
    FINAL

@ATLHawks: 97
    @LAClippers: 81

#GLeagueAlum @JordanMathews22 posted 18 points and 4 rebounds for the Clippers.

https://twitter.com/nbagleague/statu...85929804435456

Quote Originally Posted by West Side Lady View Post
    Well he sure seems to be getting a lot of minutes for someone with a slim chance. 8 pts 8 rebounds against Clippers.
    Have to be realistic. Somebody has to be on the floor. The Summer League math for players is daunting. Mostly it's an opportunity for draft picks and second year players to get their feet wet or work on certain aspects of their game. Those are the players in which clubs are invested. The other players on the rosters are trying to catch lightning in a bottle. Odds are very slim for getting signed to an NBA contract based on Summer League play. Hopefully Jonathan makes an impression and gets a shot via G League or he takes the European route. But, you never know. Right place, Right time, work your ass off has happened before.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Have to be realistic
    Why? You are probably right, but it costs me nothing to be positive. I'm rooting for the guy!

57.1 FG% against Pistons today, 8 pts 5 reb 1 blk

https://twitter.com/NBA/status/1018596584144162816

Quote Originally Posted by West Side Lady View Post
    Why? You are probably right, but it costs me nothing to be positive. I'm rooting for the guy!

57.1 FG% against Pistons today, 8 pts 5 reb 1 blk

https://twitter.com/NBA/status/1018596584144162816
    I get it. I'm rooting for him as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Markburn1 View Post
    Have to be realistic. Somebody has to be on the floor. The Summer League math for players is daunting. Mostly it's an opportunity for draft picks and second year players to get their feet wet or work on certain aspects of their game. Those are the players in which clubs are invested. The other players on the rosters are trying to catch lightning in a bottle. Odds are very slim for getting signed to an NBA contract based on Summer League play. Hopefully Jonathan makes an impression and gets a shot via G League or he takes the European route. But, you never know. Right place, Right time, work your ass off has happened before.
    We all want him to be successful in everything he does in life but as you state, it is summer league and they need bodies on the court to play...He is getting a lot of time and individual coaching in the Summer League and maybe someone will teach him how to correct his shooting form. I believe his inability to shoot jump shots and FT's has limited his marketability and could cost him $$$! His strengths imo are his ability to defend the SF, PF and C positions; work ethic; and being a team player.

If one could combine KW and JWIII into one player, then that player would be All-World. KW has difficulty defending and JWIII cannot shoot consistently...strange how talent is distributed...

One more thought...maybe the Lakers and Trailblazers will play for the Summer League Championship...JWIII vs ZC!!!

We all want him to be successful in everything he does in life but as you state, it is summer league and they need bodies on the court to play...He is getting a lot of time and individual coaching in the Summer League and maybe someone will teach him how to correct his shooting form. I believe his inability to shoot jump shots and FT's has limited his marketability and could cost him $$$! His strengths imo are his ability to defend the SF, PF and C positions; work ethic; and being a team player.

If one could combine KW and JWIII into one player, then that player would be All-World. KW has difficulty defending and JWIII cannot shoot consistently...strange how talent is distributed...

One more thought...maybe the Lakers and Trailblazers will play for the Summer League Championship...JWIII vs ZC!!!
    So basically LeBron James? lol

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsmoove View Post
    So basically LeBron James? lol
    KD

I don't think JW3 has a realistic shot at the NBA; his jumper just doesn't look fixable imo. But so what? He's good enough to make a great income playing almost wherever he wants in the rest of the world (enough to be financially secure if he's sensible w/ his money), travel and experience different cultures, and have opportunities for a post-playing career in the game if he wants it.

Sounds like a great life to me.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    I don't think JW3 has a realistic shot at the NBA; his jumper just doesn't look fixable imo. But so what? He's good enough to make a great income playing almost wherever he wants in the rest of the world (enough to be financially secure if he's sensible w/ his money), travel and experience different cultures, and have opportunities for a post-playing career in the game if he wants it.

Sounds like a great life to me.
    Agree completely

dennis Rodman didn't do bad and couldn't shoot worth a lick.
    The hallmark of a second class person is the resentment of another's success-R.W. Emerson
    Whatever you focus your mind on grows, grow a rose garden and not a weed patch-Dr Paul

I've watch J3s games with this league. Not consistent enough to get a job with the bigs right now
    But he'll develop nicely in the Gleague. Soon he'll be brought up if he corrects deficiencies. If not he'll be a good one in the euro leagues . Hoping for the best.

J3 may well not make the team or the G league. If the Lakers are looking for an absolute minimum cost, hard working individual, he has shown that he can score, and especially rebound, against the summer league players. They aren't main stream NBA, but some will be.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Lotsa minutes but poor shooting. Seems to be the flaw in our guys game. Might be the turning point for J3.
    Championship tomorrow at 7 pm.
    Last edited by MDABE80; 07-17-2018 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    KD
    KD doesnt play defense, LBJ does.

Quote Originally Posted by zag buddy View Post
    dennis Rodman didn't do bad and couldn't shoot worth a lick.
    Completely different era. In the modern NBA if your power forward can't stretch the floor by hitting the three consistently he's completely worthless and will not even be on the roster. It's crazy to think that a first ballot Hall of Famer would not even make a current NBA roster but those are the times we live in.