Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Johnathan Williams III in Summer League for the Lakers

Default Johnathan Williams III in Summer League for the Lakers

Johnathan's laker Game vs. Sacramento on now on NBA TV. Anybody got a box score?

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    ZN scores!!! Some very good 1st and 2nd yr players tonight. J3 3 for 3 ..6 pts , 8 rebs.
    Looked
    Good in his 20 minutes.

Wow, I missed a post/posts somewhere saying that NBASL games are now being broadcast...

Heck, he got to play 20 minutes! They must have an interest in him...

Did anyone watch the game...I wonder against whom JWIII guarded...did he play against Bagley?

They play on ESPN on Saturday at 1130pm/830pm against the Sixers and ESPN2 on Sunday at the same time against the Bulls...

I know Jock is also playing but don't remember the team...are there any other WCC players in the NBASL?

The Lakers could not find a better human being to have on the team than JW3. We were so lucky to have him at GU for 3 years.

If he can do that consistently, there may be a really opportunity to make a roster. Nice work J3!

The fact that they may need to fill some roster spots with minimum $$$ now that they have LeBron could bode well for J3. I really hope he can stick, hes a remarkable young man.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsmoove View Post
    The fact that they may need to fill some roster spots with minimum $$$ now that they have LeBron could bode well for J3. I really hope he can stick, hes a remarkable young man.
    +1 JWIII has the athleticism to defend & rebound in the league. Needs to show he can score vs NBA talent too. Draymond Green style player would be good one for him to strive for. Hope he earns a spot w the Lakers.
    “I don’t expect us to be perfect anytime soon,” guard Silas Melson said, “but one thing I do expect is trying to get better every day and playing tougher, harder and more physical than the opponent.”

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    +1 JWIII has the athleticism to defend & rebound in the league. Needs to show he can score vs NBA talent too. Draymond Green style player would be good one for him to strive for. Hope he earns a spot w the Lakers.
    JW3 will never be Draymond because he's not the ball handler/play maker. But if he can defend and able to switch screens onto smaller players, he will stick around in the league. He's a capable rebounder and can finish lobs/easy ones around the rim. Like what was said earlier, the Lakers will have to fill a couple minimum slots this year so hopefully that means JW3 will get a real shot at a roster spot.

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    The Lakers could not find a better human being to have on the team than JW3. We were so lucky to have him at GU for 3 years.
    Wonderfully said and spot on.

Lakers seem to recognize that Zags are worth looking at bc no matter whether they can physically make NBA roster, they will always be low maintenance, high quality, mature beyond young years type of young men, and so they seem to be more willing to check out a GU player, at least they sure consistently do.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

With the Warriors signing Cousins now I don't know if LeBron and JWIII is going to be enough, but perhaps if they draft Rui and make a big 3 of their own it could happen next year.

Hopefully we see a few more Lakers go out the door soon in a trade for a big talent like Kawhi. Might just make the math work better for JWIII. By my count they've added LeBron, McGee, Stephenson, and Rondo while only losing Randle.

The one thing about it is this: he played solidly and looked
    like he belonged in the league. Not flashy but solid. Shot well, played good defense, rebounded very well, and his athleticism was , as usual, superior. If he keeps it up, a team will find him.
    Last edited by MDABE80; 07-03-2018 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    The one thing about it is this: he played solidly and looked
    Like he belonged in the league. Not flashy. Shot well, played good defense, rebounded very well, and his athleticism was , as usual, superior. If he keeps it up, a team will find him.
    With the way some teams are embracing undersized 5's, and moving away from significant post production, the only thing I can see having any negative effect is his shooting...but Capela isn't exactly a world beater from deep, either. Clint *IS* meeting with the Lakers, though. So, we'll see how that pans out. I think J3 would be a great fit for a team like Houston.

Coming up at 6:00 on ESPN2, Lakers vs. Heat. Here's to a good outing for JW3!

no one can say he isn't getting a fair shake and/or terrific opportunity.

20 & 24 mins of PT in your first 2 summer league games as an undrafted FA is unheard of.

they like him, see something in him, or giving him the best chance to succeed somewhere else.

he's lead the team in rebounding both games thus far. missed a lot of shots today, but 9 rebs, 3 blks, etc doesnt go unnoticed.

J3 could sneak onto a team and that gives me chills. Love the guy.
    "Rob plays with a high level of intensity when it's time, has a good time when it's not ... I love his enthusiasm and his zest for life. He picks us all up when he enters the gym."

-- Coach Few

I agree. 4/11 shooting must improve but 8 pts is good. Played good defense. They like him. He's getting a long look. Total shooting for both games is 7/14. I hope sticks somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post

20 & 24 mins of PT in your first 2 summer league games as an undrafted FA is unheard of.

they like him, see something in him, or giving him the best chance to succeed somewhere else.

he's lead the team in rebounding both games thus far. missed a lot of shots today, but 9 rebs, 3 blks, etc doesnt go unnoticed.

J3 could sneak onto a team and that gives me chills. Love the guy.
    I love J3 too. Looks like he's been hard at work and it's paying off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm4ENMu2JmQ
    How can you not want this guy on your team?

He went 0/2 from the charity stripe and air-balled a three point attempt. He shot 1-7 on his first 8 field goals.

J3 is an all-time favorite zag and has tons of professional basketball ahead of him, but it won't be in the NBA (regular season).

JWIII has played 44 minutes over two games...

He is 7 for 14 from the floor and has 17 rebounds over his two games...still can't shoot FT's but that's on him, his HS Coach, Staff at UM and GU...

I think he has a shot...he plays excellent defence and can score inside...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post

He is 7 for 14 from the floor and has 17 rebounds over his two games...still can't shoot FT's but that's on him, his HS Coach, Staff at UM and GU...

He doesn't need to be an exceptional shooter. Look at Clint Capela's line from last year. As was mentioned earlier, he has to be able to switch and stick on ball screens, where he might get matched up with the guard. As well, he needs to be able to crash on PnR's where a slip off the defending forward is possible. He's got the power moves in the lane to score, and he has the speed and athleticism on the aforementioned crash situation to finish.

He's definitely got a shot, even if it isn't with the Lakers. Donny Daniels strikes again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post

Crazy thing is...if he could shoot FT's at 70% and 3pt at even 30%, he'd be a shoe in.

His awkward and cringe worthy FT shot is what holds him back imo.

Ever notice scouts ALWAYS mention FT form?

Case in point: Rui Hachimura.

Several scouting reports mention his beautiful form on FT's and good %. They even equate his FT % as translating to a good 3pt shooter someday. Rui's FT shot, along with many other bigs, help their stock at the next level.

J3's FT form should have been scrapped years ago. The flick of the wrist at the top of the release, while shooting slowly has zero room for error. Flat, no arc, no flow, etc. The Coaching staff didn't want to tinker with it as it 'worked in practice'.

Ironically enough, I believe it's the one area that scouts don't trust or translate for him. Can't shoot 50% FT unless you are 7' tall...or Shaq.
    "Rob plays with a high level of intensity when it's time, has a good time when it's not ... I love his enthusiasm and his zest for life. He picks us all up when he enters the gym."

-- Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    Crazy thing is...if he could shoot FT's at 70% and 3pt at even 30%, he'd be a shoe in.

His awkward and cringe worthy FT shot is what holds him back imo.

Ever notice scouts ALWAYS mention FT form?

Case in point: Rui Hachimura.

Several scouting reports mention his beautiful form on FT's and good %. They even equate his FT % as translating to a good 3pt shooter someday. Rui's FT shot, along with many other bigs, help their stock at the next level.

J3's FT form should have been scrapped years ago. The flick of the wrist at the top of the release, while shooting slowly has zero room for error. Flat, no arc, no flow, etc. The Coaching staff didn't want to tinker with it as it 'worked in practice'.

Ironically enough, I believe it's the one area that scouts don't trust or translate for him. Can't shoot 50% FT unless you are 7' tall...or Shaq.
    For the life of me, I just don't understand why his coaches did get him to shoot properly...this could well cost him millions over his life time...I don't think it is too late to change his form but he will have to take "lessons" and then have "perfect practice" to develop a proper shooting stroke...he doesn't use legs in any of his non-layup shots...

I remember Wilt trying anything to improve his FT shooting and think his best success came under-handed ala Calvin Murphy and Rich Barry...He has to try something...IMO

One more thought...Rui has to find a stroke with the proper arc in shooting his jump shoots...One of my college professors wrote he thesis on the proper angle for shooting jump shoots...39-54 degrees...I hope he also finds the stroke...

Bogo, my friend, if millions of dollars were hanging in the balance, I'd get someone to show me how to shoot free throws and spend 8 hrs per day in the gym till I was shooting 70-80%. Something went wrong!!! J3 can learn and he should focus.
    Rui, on the other hand practices everything till he's a master. FT's included.