• ZagNative
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Box Score

Comment

• raise the zag
      Zag for Life
      • May 2011

no one can say he isn't getting a fair shake and/or terrific opportunity.

20 & 24 mins of PT in your first 2 summer league games as an undrafted FA is unheard of.

they like him, see something in him, or giving him the best chance to succeed somewhere else.

he's lead the team in rebounding both games thus far. missed a lot of shots today, but 9 rebs, 3 blks, etc doesnt go unnoticed.

J3 could sneak onto a team and that gives me chills. Love the guy.

Comment

• MDABE80
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

I agree. 4/11 shooting must improve but 8 pts is good. Played good defense. They like him. He's getting a long look. Total shooting for both games is 7/14. I hope sticks somewhere.

Comment

• West Side Lady
          Kennel Club Material
          • Apr 2017

Originally posted by raise the zag View Post

20 & 24 mins of PT in your first 2 summer league games as an undrafted FA is unheard of.

they like him, see something in him, or giving him the best chance to succeed somewhere else.

he's lead the team in rebounding both games thus far. missed a lot of shots today, but 9 rebs, 3 blks, etc doesnt go unnoticed.

J3 could sneak onto a team and that gives me chills. Love the guy.
          I love J3 too. Looks like he's been hard at work and it's paying off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm4ENMu2JmQ
          How can you not want this guy on your team?

Comment

• LTownZag
            Banned
            • Mar 2017

He went 0/2 from the charity stripe and air-balled a three point attempt. He shot 1-7 on his first 8 field goals.

J3 is an all-time favorite zag and has tons of professional basketball ahead of him, but it won't be in the NBA (regular season).

Comment

• Bogozags
              Zag for Life
              • Jan 2008

JWIII has played 44 minutes over two games...

He is 7 for 14 from the floor and has 17 rebounds over his two games...still can't shoot FT's but that's on him, his HS Coach, Staff at UM and GU...

I think he has a shot...he plays excellent defence and can score inside...

Comment

• ZagaholicPodcast
                Kennel Club Material
                • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Bogozags View Post

He is 7 for 14 from the floor and has 17 rebounds over his two games...still can't shoot FT's but that's on him, his HS Coach, Staff at UM and GU...

He doesn't need to be an exceptional shooter. Look at Clint Capela's line from last year. As was mentioned earlier, he has to be able to switch and stick on ball screens, where he might get matched up with the guard. As well, he needs to be able to crash on PnR's where a slip off the defending forward is possible. He's got the power moves in the lane to score, and he has the speed and athleticism on the aforementioned crash situation to finish.

He's definitely got a shot, even if it isn't with the Lakers. Donny Daniels strikes again.

Comment

• raise the zag
                  Zag for Life
                  • May 2011

Crazy thing is...if he could shoot FT's at 70% and 3pt at even 30%, he'd be a shoe in.

His awkward and cringe worthy FT shot is what holds him back imo.

Ever notice scouts ALWAYS mention FT form?

Case in point: Rui Hachimura.

Several scouting reports mention his beautiful form on FT's and good %. They even equate his FT % as translating to a good 3pt shooter someday. Rui's FT shot, along with many other bigs, help their stock at the next level.

J3's FT form should have been scrapped years ago. The flick of the wrist at the top of the release, while shooting slowly has zero room for error. Flat, no arc, no flow, etc. The Coaching staff didn't want to tinker with it as it 'worked in practice'.

Ironically enough, I believe it's the one area that scouts don't trust or translate for him. Can't shoot 50% FT unless you are 7' tall...or Shaq.

Comment

• Bogozags
                    Zag for Life
                    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by raise the zag View Post
                    Crazy thing is...if he could shoot FT's at 70% and 3pt at even 30%, he'd be a shoe in.

His awkward and cringe worthy FT shot is what holds him back imo.

Ever notice scouts ALWAYS mention FT form?

Case in point: Rui Hachimura.

Several scouting reports mention his beautiful form on FT's and good %. They even equate his FT % as translating to a good 3pt shooter someday. Rui's FT shot, along with many other bigs, help their stock at the next level.

J3's FT form should have been scrapped years ago. The flick of the wrist at the top of the release, while shooting slowly has zero room for error. Flat, no arc, no flow, etc. The Coaching staff didn't want to tinker with it as it 'worked in practice'.

Ironically enough, I believe it's the one area that scouts don't trust or translate for him. Can't shoot 50% FT unless you are 7' tall...or Shaq.
                    For the life of me, I just don't understand why his coaches did get him to shoot properly...this could well cost him millions over his life time...I don't think it is too late to change his form but he will have to take "lessons" and then have "perfect practice" to develop a proper shooting stroke...he doesn't use legs in any of his non-layup shots...

I remember Wilt trying anything to improve his FT shooting and think his best success came under-handed ala Calvin Murphy and Rich Barry...He has to try something...IMO

One more thought...Rui has to find a stroke with the proper arc in shooting his jump shoots...One of my college professors wrote he thesis on the proper angle for shooting jump shoots...39-54 degrees...I hope he also finds the stroke...

Comment

• MDABE80
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Bogo, my friend, if millions of dollars were hanging in the balance, I'd get someone to show me how to shoot free throws and spend 8 hrs per day in the gym till I was shooting 70-80%. Something went wrong!!! J3 can learn and he should focus.
                      Rui, on the other hand practices everything till he's a master. FT's included.

Comment

• Zagceo
                        Zag for Life
                        • Nov 2013

For the life of me, I just don't understand why his coaches did get him to shoot properly...this could well cost him millions over his life time...I don't think it is too late to change his form but he will have to take "lessons" and then have "perfect practice" to develop a proper shooting stroke...he doesn't use legs in any of his non-layup shots...

I remember Wilt trying anything to improve his FT shooting and think his best success came under-handed ala Calvin Murphy and Rich Barry...He has to try something...IMO

One more thought...Rui has to find a stroke with the proper arc in shooting his jump shoots...One of my college professors wrote he thesis on the proper angle for shooting jump shoots...39-54 degrees...I hope he also finds the stroke...
                        agree 100%

like it or not....Zags program takes a hit for allowing a 3 year player to exit the program with such a glaring deficiency for whatever reason/excuse IMO

Comment

• Nevada Don
                          Professional Zag Fan
                          • Apr 2012

I know Jock is also playing but don't remember the team...are there any other WCC players in the NBASL?
                          Jock is with the Hawks and Naar is with the Suns.

Comment

• Bogozags
                            Zag for Life
                            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Nevada Don View Post
                            Jock is with the Hawks and Naar is with the Suns.
                            Thanks!

Comment

• Radbooks
                              Zag for Life
                              • Jun 2007

Jonathan with the start today!
                              “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Comment

• ZagNative
                                Zag for Life
                                • Feb 2007

JW3 starting for the Lakers vs. Golden State. Good Luck, JW3!

Box Score

Comment

Working...
                                X