Thread: Grand Canyon University gets non-profit status back

Default Grand Canyon University gets non-profit status back

I know this has been discussed numerous times on here but the biggest hang-up people had with GCU was it being for-profit. Now that it is non-profit again I think it should be discussed again about them being added to the WCC. Before people chime with recent RPI blah blah lets not get short sighted when looking at this program... So far it looks like we're in the WCC for the foreseeable future until something magical happens with conference realignments. GCU is a program that WANTS to get better and is willing to finance their program to be competitive. Add that program to the WCC they will be able to up their recruiting to be more competitive. With the uncertainty of their programs status with the whole for profit issue it was hampering their recruiting. They've been able to get some decent overseas recruits already. This is a program and a market the WCC shouldn't miss out on IMO

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...tus/747376002/

I like Grand Canyon and they are one of the teams I advocated for if they ever went with a National Big East concept. I'm not sure if they fit in the WCC from a school mission stand point, that's for those with a higher pay grade than me.

BYU really doesn't fit the mold of a WCC program either but we made the exception to help the conference. GCU is a religious institute like the other WCC programs so the same exception can be made for them... out of any program that's available out there they have the best chance to come into this conference and be competitve and also have the funding to remain relevant

Why did this have to be moved? Its the summer. This deserves front page discussion. GCU fits the WCC mold and would immediately be one of the top 5 teams in the conference annually. Definitely top 3 in fan support with BYU and Gonzaga.

I like the idea of adding GCU. They have been competitive in the WAC with NMSU. Out of selfish reasons I'd like to see NMSU join so I could drive from south of OKC to see Zags play.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsmoove View Post
    Why did this have to be moved? Its the summer. This deserves front page discussion. GCU fits the WCC mold and would immediately be one of the top 5 teams in the conference annually. Definitely top 3 in fan support with BYU and Gonzaga.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerZag View Post
    I like the idea of adding GCU. They have been competitive in the WAC with NMSU. Out of selfish reasons I'd like to see NMSU join so I could drive from south of OKC to see Zags play.
    NMSU is a better fit for the MWC, but i understand your motives. I think Grand Canyon and Seattle are the likely adds. Assuming Seattle makes a commitment to upgrade their facilities.

There are 3 regional schools that fit the WCC, and add new markets. In no order:

Grand Canyon (Phoenix)
    Denver
    Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by Tetonka Test View Post
    There are 3 regional schools that fit the WCC, and add new markets. In no order:

Grand Canyon (Phoenix)
    Denver
    Seattle
    why are people so intent on adding any schools to the WCC, especially Seattle, who IMO would be another LMU/PU/UP...and no benefit to the league's RPI...

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    why are people so intent on adding any schools to the WCC, especially Seattle, who IMO would be another LMU/PU/UP...and no benefit to the league's RPI...
    Your point is well taken. However, if current WCC members, especially those with bottomless pits of cash (Pepperdine?) have no interest in fielding competitive athletic teams, maybe we’ve been looking at this all wrong. The WCC should be looking to expel those presumed “neandrothal” institutions which want competition, as the elite have no need for publicity or cash. Perhaps the elite members should dismiss GU, BYU, ST. MARY’S, etc. to rid themselves of the stigma of competitiveness and the stench of sweat.