Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: FIBA U 17 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS; WATCH KILLIAN HAYES AND KAI SOTO HERE

France (Hayes) vs Philippines (Soto) can be seen here live in an hour:

http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u17...ippines-France

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post

Hayes, who won't turn 17 until late July, was the MVP of the FIBA U16 European Championship 2017 as he averaged 16.6 points, 7.0 rebounds, 5.1 assists and 2.7 steals and has already signed a three-year professional contract with French ProA side Cholet.

If he's signed a pro contract already, how does he come over?

Quote Originally Posted by GorgeZag View Post
    If he's signed a pro contract already, how does he come over?
    I believe that it's a contract with a pro team as an amateur. Sabonis did as have many euros.

In what I was sure would be a 40 point blowout, Philippines is hanging tough, only down by 6 to France at the half. Soto is such a skilled big man for someone so young, he does something that is so important for a big man, he always keeps the ball above his head, never bringing it town negating his height advantage. Hayes had 2 impressive dunks and has 6 points at the half, Soto has 5/5 on only 4 shots, Philippines has to get him more touches as he can't be defended one on one, but France is doing a good job doubling him as soon as he gets the ball, forcing him to give it up.

I watched the entire France/Philippines game and my eyes will never forgive me. As I predicted at halftime, this wound up being a 40 point blowout. The Philippines must turn the ball over more than any team ever and handle it like it's a buttered pineapple. Soto is so much better than everyone on his team, it's not even fair. He was in foul trouble the entire game, but made some sick post up moves and his passing is Shem like, but again, his guards would just fumble the passes out of bounds. He made a sick reverse fake post up move at the 6.30 or so mark when it looked like he was perfectly defended, but his team is flat out awful. He finished with 7/6 on only 3/5 shooting before fouling out.

Regarding Hayes and France, the team is so deep, that their coach rotates guards like a hockey line, but he was so good in the minutes that he played; 14 points in 18 minutes, but only 1 rebound and 0 assists, but again, France was so much better than Philippines. Not much to take away from this game except Soto is head and shoulders better than anyone else on his team and France is really, really good, 3rd best to USA and Canada.

Brawl in Philippines vs Australia game

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mor...8BN?li=BBnb7Kz

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mor...8BN?li=BBnb7Kz
    Different game. That one is the world cup qualifiers, the senior men's national team. Disgraceful

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Started by Daniel Kickert. Classy bunch those Gaels...

Watch again. Kickert was defending his teammate who was cold-cocked. If you watch the game it’s pretty clear that the Philippines team was the problem. They posed for selfies after the game like they were proud of what they did in a game where they were clearly outmatched. I’d appreciate a teammate like Kicks. To each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by sideshow06 View Post
    Watch again. Kickert was defending his teammate who was cold-cocked. If you watch the game it’s pretty clear that the Philippines team was the problem. They posed for selfies after the game like they were proud of what they did in a game where they were clearly outmatched. I’d appreciate a teammate like Kicks. To each his own.
    Agree. The post above yours got it 100 percent wrong.

I guess I stand corrected. The videos I watched showed nothing before Kickert threw the elbow and the article Zagdawg linked even stated that Kickert started it. To say I am 100% wrong is a bit harsh...

Quote Originally Posted by U Zig, I Zag View Post
    Not following the recruiting too much. We #1 for these kids?
    No. 100% of the Gonzaga-Kai Sotto mentions come from this thread which was started as a sort of fan fiction by Spy, nothing actually linking us or Tommy to him in any way. In regards to Killian Hayes, hes never going to play college ball, hes almost an NBA lottery lock at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by ZigZagger View Post
    I guess I stand corrected. The videos I watched showed nothing before Kickert threw the elbow and the article Zagdawg linked even stated that Kickert started it. To say I am 100% wrong is a bit harsh...
    Look, it’s fair to say that if Kickert doesn’t throw that elbow, it doesn’t turn into an all out bench clearing brawl. But the tension in the game leading up to it was real. It was chippy all game. The hard foul doesn’t excuse Kickert’s actions but it was a “last straw” kind of moment. So you’re not 100% wrong at all. But the stories and comments that implicate Kickert in a vacuum are seriously lacking context. It wasn’t a classless move by a dirty player. It was frustration boiling over. Either way, shouldn’t have happened but was almost inevitable the way the game was going.

Didn't get to see either the Philippines or France game but Soto had 13/15 and 5 blocks in a close loss to Argentina and Hayes 16 points, 7 rebounds and 9 assists. Both of this guys are flat out studs!

http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u17...s#tab=boxscore

http://www.fiba.basketball/world/u17...e#tab=boxscore

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsmoove View Post
    No. 100% of the Gonzaga-Kai Sotto mentions come from this thread which was started as a sort of fan fiction by Spy, nothing actually linking us or Tommy to him in any way. In regards to Killian Hayes, hes never going to play college ball, hes almost an NBA lottery lock at this point.
    This.

While we were linked to Killian Hayes at one point with interest on both sides, that ship has sailed. He will be getting paid next season as a Pro. And the NBA shortly thereafter.

The Kai connection came out of thin air...and Twitterverse. Tall guy. Overseas. Under the radar. Someone said, "what IF he is Tommy's next big find?". It kinda went from there....
    "Rob plays with a high level of intensity when it's time, has a good time when it's not ... I love his enthusiasm and his zest for life. He picks us all up when he enters the gym."

-- Coach Few

The best 15 year old big in the U17 tournament is Oumar Ballo of Mali. He's a beast tearing up the Aussies right now.

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    The best 15 year old big in the U17 tournament is Oumar Ballo of Mali. He's a beast tearing up the Aussies right now.
    Yeah, he's amazing. I'd offer him in a heartbeat

The Philippines bowed out of the medal round of the tourney, getting crushed vs a very good Canadian squad, Soto had 16/8 and 2 blocks. They face Mali in the consolation round and that will be a great test for Kai as Mali has a stud big man that is built like a tank, Oumar Ballo. France destroyed New Zealand by 40, Hayes had 17/3/2. USA, France and Canada are clearly the 3 best teams here. France gets a day of rest and plays Turkey in the qt's.

Quote Originally Posted by sideshow06 View Post
    Look, it’s fair to say that if Kickert doesn’t throw that elbow, it doesn’t turn into an all out bench clearing brawl. But the tension in the game leading up to it was real. It was chippy all game. The hard foul doesn’t excuse Kickert’s actions but it was a “last straw” kind of moment. So you’re not 100% wrong at all. But the stories and comments that implicate Kickert in a vacuum are seriously lacking context. It wasn’t a classless move by a dirty player. It was frustration boiling over. Either way, shouldn’t have happened but was almost inevitable the way the game was going.
    I didn't see the ref coming in to call the first elbow thrown on the drive, or the second away from the ball, by the same Philippines player. Had they gotten there and called the first, the second wouldn't have happened. If they had gotten there and called the second, Kickert would not have felt the need to retaliate. Blaming the whole thing On Kickert is ludicrous. The Philippines should be banned from international play until they learn the game. If they feel the need, ban Kickert as well, and the refs in the game should be banned for life as well as the announcers.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    They're facing one another right now and Ballo is destroying Soto. Ballo has 20/14 mid way through the 3rd qtr and Soto has 6/3 and 3 fouls trying to guard Ballo. This is a complete mismatch.

Ballo had 28/19!!!! This kid is the next great African big in the mold of Embiid and Bamba, he utterly dominated Soto.

Hayes with 23/6/5 vs Turkey

Kai played exceptionally the last two games against Egypt and New Zealand. He caught the attention of some NBA scouts.

His game highlights against Egypt where scored 28 points against a 6'10 center. Fast forward to 2:50 you can see, how good his footwork is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAP6K83hRys

The game against New Zealand he showcased his perimeter game. He scored 22 points againts the tall blacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cSFuZWOI-g

Ballo dominate by strength but Kai's skillset is more advance than the big guy from Mali.

What was so funny about the brawl were the announcers. They almost called it as a play by play event that was no different than a guy who blocks a shot, gets the rebound, and outlets it to his PG for a dunk. I am always reminded of the terrible brawl between the Pacers and Pistons in which Walton and the other announcer spent 75% of the time "moralizing" about the event instead of actually telling viewers what was happening on the floor....especially away from the camera. The FIBA announcers treated the brawl differently that any announcing crew would in this country. Not saying it's right or wrong or worse or better....it was just odd.