Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kai Sotto's dad says GU has offered

Default Kai Sotto's dad says GU has offered

So I'm killing some time reading some international basketball forums and I came across this kid. Apparently he is the talk of the entire nation because Philippines is basketball crazy and he's the first legit seven footer at only 15 years old and is dominating youth competitions apparently, but when you are 7 foot 15-year-old and Asian you should be. LOL He's very athletic and agile and his body is almost identical to Zach Collins. Apparently he's been training in Vegas the past two summers but has yet to come over for time and finish his last two years of high school in the states. There is a little blurb about Gonzaga on page 28 of the thread about him but nothing else. And the videos it's hard to glean anything because just like Ruis videos he is so much bigger than everyone else on the court. Anyway I just thought it was worth mentioning because Tommy is world-famous for scouring entire globe for international talent and this kid seems to be the next pics information, plus he speaks English in the Philippines is the largest Catholic country in the world.

http://www.interbasket.net/forums/sh...-Thread/page33

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wGSnF6Qim3o

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6GkMcrl0xJc

Picking up Kamaka Hepa could pay huge dividends here as well if he decides to play for their national team. I haven't heard anything about interest on his end but I know the basketball community over there was pretty excited about the possibility.

I want a 7 ft 1 in 290 lb kid. Know of any??

I've never seen a kid that tall and that young, be that coordinated. Impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Crazy View Post
    I've never seen a kid that tall and that young, be that coordinated. Impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, good call. That's what stood out to me is that he is not gangly or awkward at all, he runs up and down the court like a normal kid and they said he's probably going to top out at about 7'2. Supposedly he's trying to pattern his game after Porzingis, the kid has huge upside. I'm sure Tommy knows about him. Just out of curiosity does anyone know if it would be an NCAA violation to bring them over and play for G prep with the intent of having him segue right into GU when he graduates? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    I want a 7 ft 1 in 290 lb kid. Know of any??
    He doesn't look like he weighs 290.
    "I'm telling you Tillie knows how to play." - Mark Few

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Yeah, good call. That's what stood out to me is that he is not gangly or awkward at all, he runs up and down the court like a normal kid and they said he's probably going to top out at about 7'2. Supposedly he's trying to pattern his game after Porzingis, the kid has huge upside. I'm sure Tommy knows about him. Just out of curiosity does anyone know if it would be an NCAA violation to bring them over and play for G prep with the intent of having him segue right into GU when he graduates? Thanks
    No penalty I know of.

No penalty I know of.
    Cool, thanks. I wonder why we have yet to do that; bring some top-notch Euro kids over to complete their high school at prep and smoothly transition right into GU.

Seems to me that most of the Euro junior players are playing better comp than they would be in the GSL. Sabonis was playing v Spain's pros,for example.

Using G Prep as a place for player development might work if they got a kid like Ravet (sp?) to transfer in, but he plays for his dad.

Metro league is the only place in Wa. that kids move to for basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Seems to me that most of the Euro junior players are playing better comp than they would be in the GSL. Sabonis was playing v Spain's pros,for example.

Using G Prep as a place for player development might work if they got a kid like Ravet (sp?) to transfer in, but he plays for his dad.

Metro league is the only place in Wa. that kids move to for basketball.
    This kid is in the Philippines though where the junior competition is not nearly as good as that in Europe. He's been coming over the last two years during the summer training in Vegas for a few weeks and in the thread that I posted there's talk of him coming over to the states and finishing up high school like Kobe Paras did in Los Angeles.

If I remember correctly, Tommy was involved in getting Greivis Vasquez to Montrose Christian with that same intent.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    If I remember correctly, Tommy was involved in getting Greivis Vasquez to Montrose Christian with that same intent.
    Yeah, good call. Unfortunately he put him right in Marylands backyard. LOL not sure why he wouldn't just bring him right to Gonzaga prep.

This kid is in the Philippines though where the junior competition is not nearly as good as that in Europe. He's been coming over the last two years during the summer training in Vegas for a few weeks and in the thread that I posted there's talk of him coming over to the states and finishing up high school like Kobe Paras did in Los Angeles.
    Good point as far as coming to the states to prep. That could have helped Rui. Just that the GSL is an ok but not great hs league. Most internationals that come over for bb go to the hs factory schools.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Good point as far as coming to the states to prep. That could have helped Rui. Just that the GSL is an ok but not great hs league. Most internationals that come over for bb go to the hs factory schools.
    True. But he's playing high school ball in the Philippines so the GSL would be a pretty big step up for him.

You know the biggest thing I pick out of this?

They said it in the first video, "hes enjoying the game."

So many tall kids play ball because everyone they meet says, "hey, youre tall, you must be a basketball player."
    Without naming names, how many times have we seen tall kids here at GU just not have that fire, or never play again after college. And thats fine, but playing for the right reasons, because they enjoy it, that does make a big difference.

True. But he's playing high school ball in the Philippines so the GSL would be a pretty big step up for him.
    I wonder what the NCAA rules are with regards to directing a high school student to a prep school with intent to influence the student's decision?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Why would the NCAA have a say so on a high school kid about anything unless he/she doesn't meet NC (Collegiate)AA entrance standards? Wouldn't that be overreach??? HS kids can go anywhere they want whether they go to college, play basketball or not or decide not to go to college at all. NCAA mission regulates what happens when a kid is IN college but not before. NCAA may try to regulate college entrance. In odd cases they do look into a HS kid's background as they have with our own players.. What the kid does in HS is case by case. They have no province over what school a kid choses.

Why would the NCAA have a say so on a high school kid about anything unless he/she doesn't meet NC (Collegiate)AA entrance standards? Wouldn't that be overreach??? HS kids can go anywhere they want whether they go to college, play basketball or not or decide not to go to college at all. NCAA mission regulates what happens when a kid is IN college but not before. NCAA may try to regulate college entrance. In odd cases they do look into a HS kid's background as they have with our own players.. What the kid does in HS is case by case. They have no province over what school a kid choses.
    Plus the NCAA allows colleges to hire a kids dad as an assistant, *cough, Micheal Porter, cough*

I think the issue here would be a college coach facilitating that transition to a US prep school, especially one that is somewhat affiliated with the University. I could see that being construed as some sort of benefit to the student, or inducement. While the student may not necessarily be subject to NCAA oversight and regulations at that time, the University-level coach is, and you may not be able to provide such benefits to students and potential future commitments...or at least if you did, they'd have to be declared. Now on the other hand, if the prep school reached out to the student without University direction or influence and offered the foreign student a position, methinks that would be kosher. I don't know the in's and outs of the University and NCAA compliance and regulatory environment. This is more of a hypothetical/guess on my part.
    GU Class of '10, MUSC Class of '14

Quote Originally Posted by Zagnificent View Post
    I think the issue here would be a college coach facilitating that transition to a US prep school, especially one that is somewhat affiliated with the University. I could see that being construed as some sort of benefit to the student, or inducement. While the student may not necessarily be subject to NCAA oversight and regulations at that time, the University-level coach is, and you may not be able to provide such benefits to students and potential future commitments...or at least if you did, they'd have to be declared. Now on the other hand, if the prep school reached out to the student without University direction or influence and offered the foreign student a position, methinks that would be kosher. I don't know the in's and outs of the University and NCAA compliance and regulatory environment. This is more of a hypothetical/guess on my part.
    Exactly. I have no idea what view the NCAA has, if any. But I would think that if a college program worked to direct a student to a high school program with the intent to steer that student to their college program, there would be some potential issue. I don't know though, hence the question.
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Nothing covers it. Nothing.

Well then, maybe Spy is on to something there.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    He doesn't look like he weighs 290.
    Karnowski did. I think that was the reference.

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Exactly. I have no idea what view the NCAA has, if any. But I would think that if a college program worked to direct a student to a high school program with the intent to steer that student to their college program, there would be some potential issue. I don't know though, hence the question.
    I don't know all of the details, but this was one of the violations St. Mary's was nailed for a few years ago.

Those violations involved the placement of a transfer student from France at an area high school with the intent, according to the NCAA, that the student would play for Saint Mary's after graduation.
    http://https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/westcoast/2013/03/01/saint-marys-ncaa-sanctions-randy-bennett-suspension/1956809/

Sometimes nothing is good! I really like beer, but nothing beats a Bud (their own words). So when faced with the dilemma of having to drink nothing, or Bud, I choose to believe that the people at Budweiser know their business. I choose nothing!
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!