Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Withers' Blog: Most improbable: Zags or Beavers?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    13,937

    Default Withers' Blog: Most improbable: Zags or Beavers?

    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Federal Way, WA
    Posts
    600

    Default

    I don’t feel that Oregon is that improbable. They have always been well funded with a reasonable population base.
    I will never forgive Whithers for picking OSU over Gonzaga, but it was an interesting article. Just kidding Bill.
    “People have an uncanny ability to make me think I am smarter than I really am. Human Beings bring me back to reality.” S.T.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,949

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stevet75 View Post
    I don’t feel that Oregon is that improbable. They have always been well funded with a reasonable population base.
    Bud wrote for the Eugene Register-Guard from 1970 to 1987. He knows of what he speaks. They have not "always been well funded". Far from it. Knight didn't start giving them money until after the Kenny Wheaton miracle which led to the Rose Bowl of "94.

    When I moved to Eugene after college in '78, the UO was a small market bottom feeder on the order of WSU. 3-8 seasons were the norm, as were 40 point drubbings by UW. When the Ducks played the Huskies at home, Autzen would be half full of Husky fans. Anybody who lived in Eugene in the 70's and 80's agree it's a minor miracle that they became the dominant program in the pac for as long as they were. Even becoming average would have been a surprise to those who were around Eugene for the "Toilet Bowl", the infamous 0-0 tie with OSU in the battle for last place.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Federal Way, WA
    Posts
    600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Bud wrote for the Eugene Register-Guard from 1970 to 1987. He knows of what he speaks. They have not "always been well funded". Far from it. Knight didn't start giving them money until after the Kenny Wheaton miracle which led to the Rose Bowl of "94.

    When I moved to Eugene after college in '78, the UO was a small market bottom feeder on the order of WSU. 3-8 seasons were the norm, as were 40 point drubbings by UW. When the Ducks played the Huskies at home, Autzen would be half full of Husky fans. Anybody who lived in Eugene in the 70's and 80's agree it's a minor miracle that they became the dominant program in the pac for as long as they were. Even becoming average would have been a surprise to those who were around Eugene for the "Toilet Bowl", the infamous 0-0 tie with OSU in the battle for last place.
    Better funded than Gonzaga, WSU and OSU. In the 70s, Eugene metro area was about the same size as Spokane, with Portland nearby. Member of Pac8. What is amazing is that UO wasn’t more successful in the 70s and 80s.
    Compare that with Gonzaga, which had almost no funding for most of its existence. Spokane is the only metro area of any consequence within 200 miles. Conference affiliations - Big Sky and WCC.
    “People have an uncanny ability to make me think I am smarter than I really am. Human Beings bring me back to reality.” S.T.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,949

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stevet75 View Post
    Better funded than Gonzaga, WSU and OSU. In the 70s, Eugene metro area was about the same size as Spokane, with Portland nearby. Member of Pac8. What is amazing is that UO wasn’t more successful in the 70s and 80s.
    .
    Amazing? That's just silly. Along with WSU and OSU, Oregon in those days was at a huge disadvantage to the LA and Bay Area schools, and to UW. Those 5 were in major metro areas w/ substantial local recruiting bases and fan bases. In those days Autzen held 41000, and attendance was typically in the 30's at best, compared with UW's 60+ or USC's what, 90? The entire state of Oregon produces a handful of D1 fb recruits a year, so the small town schools mostly had to settle for second tier talent from Cali.

    There was talk in those days about the possibility of UO, OSU, and WSU going to a lower level conference in those days. The disadvantages of all 3 were monumental. It's a lot easier to do it in basketball than fb, simply due to the number of players involved, and the sheer cost of putting a team on the field. OSU's success in bb under Ralph Miller is a case in point; they dominated the league for much of the late 70's and 80's, while they were having 26 straight losing seasons in fb. And once Miller retired, nobody has had any success there whatsoever.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    University Place, WA (aka Chambers Bay)
    Posts
    4,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Amazing? That's just silly. Along with WSU and OSU, Oregon in those days was at a huge disadvantage to the LA and Bay Area schools, and to UW. Those 5 were in major metro areas w/ substantial local recruiting bases and fan bases. In those days Autzen held 41000, and attendance was typically in the 30's at best, compared with UW's 60+ or USC's what, 90? The entire state of Oregon produces a handful of D1 fb recruits a year, so the small town schools mostly had to settle for second tier talent from Cali.

    There was talk in those days about the possibility of UO, OSU, and WSU going to a lower level conference in those days. The disadvantages of all 3 were monumental. It's a lot easier to do it in basketball than fb, simply due to the number of players involved, and the sheer cost of putting a team on the field. OSU's success in bb under Ralph Miller is a case in point; they dominated the league for much of the late 70's and 80's, while they were having 26 straight losing seasons in fb. And once Miller retired, nobody has had any success there whatsoever.
    How do you explain Oregon's coach from 1951 - 1966 being in the College Football Hall of Fame? Or their conference championships in the 40's and 50's? Those facts alone should've kept the Zero's out of Bud's column. At least that's my opinion.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    6,432

    Default

    Just as an aside...wasn't the question the Beavers? Yes I see the Ducks there, but someone needed to talk about the Beavers.

    I would say the Oregon State has been somewhat of a baseball power house, so winning the college world series isn't very improbable. The Zags winning the NC is very possible, but in a single elimination tournament, anything can happen.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,949

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    How do you explain Oregon's coach from 1951 - 1966 being in the College Football Hall of Fame? Or their conference championships in the 40's and 50's? Those facts alone should've kept the Zero's out of Bud's column. At least that's my opinion.
    In ancient times, college sports weren't as dominated by big markets or big money. Harvard and Army used to be football powers in those days. Anybody could put together a team that was competitive on the national level. Look at the Beavers w/ Terry Baker in '62. The 40's and 50's are pretty irrelevant in terms of the modern landscape imo. A basketball analogy would be saying it's no surprise what Chi Loyola did last year in bb; given their "63 title it should be expected.

    Funny how Bud is beloved and brilliant when he writes about the Zags (I agree)but clueless when it comes to the Ducks, who he covered for 17 years when they were bottom feeders. Also funny to me how many Zag fans are Husky football fans, given the recent bb history and Romar's "national schedule".

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,949

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Just as an aside...wasn't the question the Beavers? Yes I see the Ducks there, but someone needed to talk about the Beavers.

    I would say the Oregon State has been somewhat of a baseball power house, so winning the college world series isn't very improbable. The Zags winning the NC is very possible, but in a single elimination tournament, anything can happen.

    OSU has only been a baseball powerhouse since hiring Pat Casey. A quick search shows that the only teams not from very warm climates to win the CWS since 1967 besides the Beavs' 3 are Wichita St in '89, and Virginia and Coastal Carolina in 2015/16.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •