Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga adds home games vs. No. Dakota State, North Alabama, and CSU Bakersfield

Default Gonzaga adds home games vs. No. Dakota State, North Alabama, and CSU Bakersfield

SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

Very very disappointing. Fans and season ticket holders deserve better than this.

Totally agree on disappointing. I don't understand if we are going to play these home games against cupcakes why not play Eastern, WSU, and Idaho?? Unless they don't want to play us?

Last year's RPI's:

ND St.: 214
    North Alab: Unranked (Division 2- though looks like they might be D-1 this year?)
    CSUB: 225

I’m feel so sorry for you poor season ticket holders

Just for fun, for hegotit's post:

Eastern: 123
    WSU: 177
    Idaho: 128

Overall a good schedule. Always will be a "few" who we play won't be top 20 or so. It's not a big deal. I do agree that WSU or EWU would be a lot more fun.

Agreed Abe - have to factor in the rest of the schedule too & they've already got some 'big boys' on the slate.

Students back from Turkey Day for the 1st one, selling their seats for the last 2.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

I just don't understand why we wouldn't schedule regional teams/games that would spark more interest?? The Eastern games were always entertaining. Are we scared of being upset? Doesn't make sense!

Ugly ... programs and RPIs........

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Ugly ... programs and RPIs........
    Our schedule is freaking stacked this coming season... you have to have some easy tune up games in the schedule peeps

Quote Originally Posted by hegotit! View Post
    I just don't understand why we wouldn't schedule regional teams/games that would spark more interest?? The Eastern games were always entertaining. Are we scared of being upset? Doesn't make sense!
    I feel like I shout this from the rooftops multiple times a year. Don't get it, never will. Local cupcakes are fresher
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Gonzaga Guru tweeted the whole non-conference schedule, and it's more appetizing looking ...

Gonzaga Guru
    ‏ @GonzagaGuru

Gonzaga adds more to 2018-19 schedule:
    Nov 15 Texas A&M
    Nov 19-21 Maui Invitational
    Nov 26 North Dakota St
    Nov 28 North Alabama
    Dec 1 @ Creighton
    Dec 5 Washington
    Dec 9 vs Tennessee (in Phoenix)
    Dec 15 @ North Carolina
    Dec 31 Cal St Bakersfield
    TBD Denver

Nice looking schedule!!

Quote Originally Posted by hegotit! View Post
    Totally agree on disappointing. I don't understand if we are going to play these home games against cupcakes why not play Eastern, WSU, and Idaho?? Unless they don't want to play us?
    Eastern or Idaho, yes. But WSU isn't gonna come to the Kennel w/ no return game. They have enough trouble being competitive in their league, and don't need to play a body bag game on the road at this point w/ no return game. They need to schedule home games against Arkansas Pine Bluff and the like in their nonconference season.

I think there would be great interest in playing local teams and the money would stay in the community....

I think Few is afraid to play them....I do not see how you can complain about the WCC and schedule teams like these....

I have heard all the excuses....

The Spokesman article says that there is room for one more non-conference game. Any guesses on who that might be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Eastern or Idaho, yes. But WSU isn't gonna come to the Kennel w/ no return game. They have enough trouble being competitive in their league, and don't need to play a body bag game on the road at this point w/ no return game. They need to schedule home games against Arkansas Pine Bluff and the like in their nonconference season.
    New AD...........very new. They might. It was a good series. Fun I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by GuZag2012 View Post
    The Spokesman article says that there is room for one more non-conference game. Any guesses on who that might be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nevada

Quote Originally Posted by jchocolate99 View Post
    Our schedule is freaking stacked this coming season... you have to have some easy tune up games in the schedule peeps
    Two things can be true at same time. Sked is stacked and these minnows kill RPI.

Another option is to play academic blue chip schools from east — Ivies, Patriot, William and Mary, even Fordham — which bring at least prestige if not top half RPIs. Directional schools bring nothing, bupkis.

I'd love it if we played Idaho and EWU every other year at home, if they were up for it.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Even with the revised WCC slate, add an additional 8-10 games against below average +175 RPI teams, and half of the Zags’ games will be against losing teams. This adds huge pressure to win all but three games versus above average opponents. Begin improving the 2019-20 schedule now. NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Two things can be true at same time. Sked is stacked and these minnows kill RPI.
    the minnows killed our RPI last year -- when we scheduled 2 330+ teams, 4 more 200+, and had three more league games (2 during regular season, 1 during WCC tournament) against lower-level WCC competition.

next year we have scheduled 1 unknown (North Alabama-- probably 300+), and 3 that were 200+ this season. this is a huge swing. we've dropped MORE bad games from our schedule (5) than we have OOC cupcakes left on it (4)-- and mostly replaced these games with the most top-heavy OOC i can remember. reasonable observers had to be expecting some cupcakes to land on the schedule soon (and i'm sorry that several of you are disappointed that your cupcakes of choice have been left out)... but there's no question that if maui breaks kindly, this will be a top-20 type OOC schedule nationally (probably just a bit below UNC and a bunch of SWAC teams that get their first home game in-conference) and very likely our best ever.

we could reasonably end up playing as many or more games against top-20 RPI teams (2 guaranteed, 3 more possible in Maui) than sub-200 teams in the OOC. fewer cupcakes, better cupcakes, and more marquee (top-25ish) games is what we needed -- and exactly what we got.

at this point, any damage done by playing 3-4 "minnows" in the low-200s once is completely dwarfed by playing roughly 2x as many games against the bottom of the WCC (which had 4 teams with lower RPI last season than the worst OOC game we have scheduled for next season -- leaving out North Alabama for obvious reasons).

so, yeah, fret not about this scheduling news, imo
    Last edited by soccerdud; 06-28-2018 at 05:46 PM.