Thread: Hoopfest Weekend Thread

Default Hoopfest Weekend Thread

Be Safe!!!

Weather forecast Friday 75 degrees Saturday and Sunday forecast at 77 degrees

Trooper Brian Moore

@wspd6pio
    21m21 minutes ago
    More
    EXPECT HEAVY TRAFFIC OVER @SnoqualmiePass this weekend. @SpokaneHoopfest & 4th of July traffic could cause major delays. Plan your trip accordingly. @wastatepatrol will focus on collision causing violations such as speed, DUI & aggressive drivers. #BeSafe - (file photo)

Miami Heat guard Tyler Johnson remembers Hoopfest and childhood in Spokane

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...ers-hoopfest-/

I think they should start putting pods of games in other parts of Spokane.

Hillyard and Garland districts would be good spots. They have done upgrades and those areas could use some economic support. Maybe teams are assigned there for one of the days and then have one day downtown...just a thought
    I am working on being a more all around square.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagsker View Post

Hillyard and Garland districts would be good spots. They have done upgrades and those areas could use some economic support. Maybe teams are assigned there for one of the days and then have one day downtown...just a thought
    +1000, I concur, would be great for Hillyard and Garland districts...

Go!! Zags!!!

Spreading out creates safety and security staffing issues not too mention EMS coverage issues as there is limited resources for these critical support functions

Then

At the risk of violent crime and property crime to participants. hottest sectors for crime in spokane....creates a difficult task even harder to maintain safety and security as well as potential long term harm to hoopfest brand.....

Not sure at this time that would be in best interest of participants, vendors or those attending

But my view tends to be skewed toward safety issues
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    Spreading out creates safety and security staffing issues not too mention EMS coverage issues as there is limited resources for these critical support functions

Then

At the risk of violent crime and property crime to participants. hottest sectors for crime in spokane....creates a difficult task even harder to maintain safety and security as well as potential long term harm to hoopfest brand.....

Not sure at this time that would be in best interest of participants, vendors or those attending

But my view tends to be skewed toward safety issues
    The logistics of traveling between pods would be difficult, at best. Parents/fans/siblings with 2 or more pods would be hard pressed to see the games, even if a shuttle system were in place.

Why mess with something that is so successful?
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    The logistics of traveling between pods would be difficult, at best. Parents/fans/siblings with 2 or more pods would be hard pressed to see the games, even if a shuttle system were in place.

Why mess with something that is so successful?
    i think the goal is to spread the benefits of hoopfest around. but i'd suggest that attempting to do so is far more likely to kill the golden goose than actually accomplish that noble goal.

I kind of like the concept, but as I think about this, I would not be happy if my kids were assigned to a pod in those areas. For me, it's not a safety issue. I pay an obscene amount of money to stay at a downtown hotel so that we can be close to the action and have a place to go to cool off between games, etc. The last thing I want to do is have to commute to another neighborhood.

Many sponsors/businesses love the captive audiences downtown-- the spreading out of the event would "share the wealth" with many businesses but also cut into many businesses profits.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Many sponsors/businesses love the captive audiences downtown-- the spreading out of the event would "share the wealth" with many businesses but also cut into many businesses profits.
    True but my old boss had his Jewelry Store in the Downtown Skywalk. He was being forced to pay X per square foot (I don't remember the amount but think it was something like $15-25/sq foot. Several thousand for him and it is why he moved out of downtown). He was far enough away that he saw no additional traffic and, because of parking etc, traffic was substantially diminished. PLUS, who comes to Hoopfest and wants to buy high end jewelry?
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Let me clarify-- hotels, restaurants, and other businesses associated with the sports event downtown.

The Garland District would be easy to accommodate.... and there are businesses there to support it too....

Just my opinion

Go!! Zags!!!

Gonzaga Guru and 8 others liked

Przemek Karnowski

Verified account

@PKarnowski
    19h19 hours ago
    More
    Spokane ✈️��

Gonzaga basketball sets dates for Kraziness in the Kennel, FanFest and players’ appearances at Hoopfest

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...est-and-playe/

How to do Hoopfest right, whether you're a player or spectator

https://www.inlander.com/spokane/how...t?oid=10600916

Nigel running a camp at Hoopfest for the kiddoes......

https://twitter.com/Lukens_At_Large/...69467179253760

On eve of Hoopfest, former Gonzaga great Nigel Williams-Goss leads skills camp for kids, talks about his future plans
    http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...at-nigel-will/
    Last edited by Zagdawg; 06-30-2018 at 10:07 AM.

Any insight into the weekend, Elite winners? Old Dawgs representing? Saw in the Hoopfest app that my basketball Jedi Shann Ferch cruised through his bracket. KD show up again this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If at first you don't succeed, try to solve the situation with a spud gun. ~Dwight Schrute~

Quote Originally Posted by NontradZag View Post
    Any insight into the weekend, Elite winners? Old Dawgs representing? Saw in the Hoopfest app that my basketball Jedi Shann Ferch cruised through his bracket. KD show up again this year?

Mike Hart won the elite 6’+ bracket for the second year in a row.