Thread: Ticket Price Increase

Default Ticket Price Increase

From SkipZag:

Okay ZagDad... your thoughts on this topic. Ticket pricing... 25% increase. Still a bargain. Will it impact filling the MAC?
    Since I buy ten (10) season tickets, we sit up in the cheap seats. Our ticket prices went from $85/seat to $99/Seat. We would like to move to better seats but when you need 10 seats in a group, probably not going to happen unless we want to break up our little gang.

I went back and looked and over the past 5 years we have had a low of 14 home games (this past year) and a high of 19 home games when we hosted the pre-season tournament in the kennel. Our average number of home games works out to be about 16 home games a year.

At $85/Seat that works out to be about $5.31/Game and at the new price of $99/seat it works out to be about $6.19/game. Obviously if you pay for the higher priced tickets your cost per game will be higher. As you said, it is a bargain, particularly when you compare it to the cost of eating out or going to a movie, etc. Even the cost of concessions are not really that far out of line at the kennel.

I think we had something over 5,400 season ticket holders last year. I think the price increase could result in a few less season ticket sales, but I would be greatly surprised if GU does not sell at least 5,200 Wbb season tickets with the price increase.

Great topic Skip. I thought it deserved its own thread. Thanks for taking up the challenge.

ZagDad

I actually think I heard CLF state that the number of STH's is 4400 and that it is topped off at that number for some reason...maybe they have to keep so many open for walkins or students...I might have heard it all wrong so if someone knows differently, please chime in.

still even at 4400 that is pretty outstanding....my pet peeve is those generous enough to buy ST's but not coming to games...grrrr.....

I WISH I had bought a couple more tickets back when we first purchased...we really have perfectly positioned seats but I wouldn't mind being a bit lower....we've paid a donation where we sit but not sure now if it was required....

still a great bargain....

Agree that the women's season tickets are a great bargain for so much entertainment and a really fun environment. The men's ticket prices didn't go up this year, but our donation requirement went up quite a bit, plus with the higher standard deduction under the new federal tax plan, we can't take a deduction for the donation. Even so, I also think the men's tickets are a great deal, too - top quality competition in an electric atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaglaw View Post
    with the higher standard deduction under the new federal tax plan, we can't take a deduction for the donation. Even so, I also think the men's tickets are a great deal, too - top quality competition in an electric atmosphere.
    I just read on the St Mary's site that if you can only get tickets if you make a mandatory donation, 100% of the donation is non-deductible under the new tax plan. So, regardless of ability to deduct, the donation is non-deductible.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaglaw View Post
    I just read on the St Mary's site that if you can only get tickets if you make a mandatory donation, 100% of the donation is non-deductible under the new tax plan. So, regardless of ability to deduct, the donation is non-deductible.
    So, if I understand you, at St. Mary's the true price of the season tickets is (season price + mandatory donation) and since the mandatory donation is no longer deductible, they could just raise the season ticket prices to the equivalent amount and call it good.

In reality, in all arenas other than GU, forget the season tickets and mandatory donation and simply buy game day tickets and save the donation fee. It is not as if good seats are not available in every arena except the kennel.

ZagDad

It sounds like they are trying to make it look unbundled, i.e., make your donation now and its "voluntary." Then later you buy your tickets. That was how I was reading it anyway.