Baseball Signs Three to NLIs for 2019 Season

Two junior college transfers and one high school senior to join GU next season

June 21, 2018

SPOKANE, Wash. – Gonzaga baseball head coach Mark Machtolf announced the signing of three players to National Letter of Intent Thursday afternoon. Josh Bristyan, Guthrie Morrison and Sebastian Morrow will join the Bulldogs for the 2019 season.

Josh Bristyan | Infielder | Paradise Valley CC | Scottsdale, Ariz.

Bristyan arrives in Spokane after two seasons at Paradise Valley Community College in Phoenix, Ariz. As a sophomore, he helped the Pumas to a 37-23 overall record including an appearance in the NJCAA DII Southwest District Championship semifinals. At the plate, Bristyan finished with 84 hits and 32 RBIs in 217 appearances, posting a program-record .387 batting average to rank sixth in the Arizona Community College Athletic Conference (ACCAC). He was also a threat on the basepaths, swiping 22 bags in 24 attempts.

The shortstop carried a .976 fielding percentage, finishing with 112 putouts and 178 assists with just seven errors in 297 total chances. His 178 assists ranked first in the league, and he also finished with a league-leading 45 double plays. Bristyan was named NJCAA Division II First Team All-American in addition to being named to the 2018 ABCA/Rawlings NJCAA Div. II Gold Glove Team, making him a two-time recipient of the award. Bristyan also earned First Team All-Region and First Team All-Conference accolades for the 2018 season.

Bristyan leaves PVCC with program records in career hits (139), career doubles (27), runs scored (86) and on-base percentage (.441). He also holds the single-season program records for hits (84) and batting average (.387).

Why Bristyan chose Gonzaga: “I chose Gonzaga because I felt like there was a need for me; I was wanted by all the coaches. Not only that, but after the next two years, I’ll have a diploma from Gonzaga that’ll mean more than anything.”

Coach Machtolf on Bristyan: “Josh is an elite defender at shortstop and arguably one of the best in junior college baseball. Josh has tremendous instincts for the game and will look to impact our lineup immediately.”

Guthrie Morrison | Outfielder | Edmonds CC | Seattle, Wash.

Morrison joins the Bulldogs after two years at Edmonds Community College in Lynnwood, Wash. The center fielder helped the Tritons to a 40-9 overall record including a 20-7 mark in the Northwest Athletic Conference (NWAC). Morrison saw action in 42 games on the season, recording 79 putouts and three assists with just one error for a .988 fielding percentage. At the plate, he led the Tritons in hits with 64 and ranked second in RBIs with 37. Morrison posted a .370 batting average to lead Edmonds CC, and he also led the Tritons is stolen bases with 26.

Morrison collected multiple awards for the 2018 season, highlighted by Pacific Association All-America Second Team honors. He was also named to the 2018 ABCA/Rawlings Pacific Association Northwest All-Region First Team, First-Team All-NWAC and the 2018 All-NWAC Gold Glove Team.

Why Morrison chose Gonzaga: “I’m very excited to be part of the Gonzaga family and the baseball program. It’s a school and baseball program I have always been interested in, ever since I was young. The winning atmosphere along with very good academics that will allow me to be successful in life are the main reasons I have chosen this great university.”

Coach Machtolf on Morrison: “Guthrie is an outstanding athlete with a run tool that can change the game on offense and defense. Guthrie will look to compete for the centerfield spot in 2019 and add to the front of our lineup.”

Sebastian Morrow | Right-Handed Pitcher | Miles City, Mont.

Morrow, a 2018 Rawlings-Perfect Game Pre-Season All-American Honorable Mention, played for the Outlaw Baseball Club and 406 Baseball out of Miles City, Mont. He finished the 2017 summer season for the Outlaws with a 1.645 ERA to go along with 81 strikeouts in 55.1 innings pitched. The right-handed pitcher was also named the Rawlings-Perfect Game No. 1-ranked pitcher in Montana.

Why Morrow chose Gonzaga: “I chose GU because they have a winning culture and the coaches and tools to help me succeed as a person and a player.”

Coach Machtolf on Morrow: Sebastian is one of the top power arms in the Northwest and has one of the best competitive mindsets on the mound than we have seen in a long time. He is a complete package on the mound that will help bolster our pitching staff.”

For the latest information on Gonzaga baseball, visit www.GoZags.com or follow the team on Twitter at @GonzagaBaseball.

Gonzaga Article Link