Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rui Summer Games

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    If Boldin was an athletic freak maybe
    Rui personifies Bouldins game...he is strong to the basket, rebounds, plays "D"...yes, I know Bouldin was not 6'8"/230 pounds but he was physically dominant and other guards had difficulty defending him, especially when Few would have him post up...

interesting.....having watched Matt B play from the time he was 12 years old all the way through college I don't see any similarity at all between he and Rui. Matt is a big combo guard who was successful due to a high bball IQ and guile. He made other guys on the court better, but was very limited in what he could do off the bounce and in 1 on 1 situations against guys his size.
    Rui is kind of the opposite. Still learning the game, bballl IQ and intangibles are definitely his weakness at this point, but he is a freakishly athletic 3/4 who relies almost 100% on his athleticism and size to dominate his opponents in 1 on 1 situations

Matt was a total stud, and he was certainly very strong, but he didn't have the incredible level of athleticism that Rui has as far as explosiveness and ability to simply blow by people or sky them for a rebound or come out of nowhere for an unexpected block. Matt on the other hand was so incredibly high on basketball IQ - you don't see many with that kind of understanding of the game.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by Skimhvn View Post
    I wanna teach English speakers how hachimura is pronounced in this good opportunity... Stress is ha-CHI-mu-ra, not ha-chi-MU-ra.
    Weird, I've always been taught that there is no syllable emphasis in Japanese. So....ha-chi-mu-ra. No emphasis on any one syllable.

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    ankle tweak looked like it didn't tickle, can mess up anyone's game, tough to play basketball with a bum wheel.
    having seen him shoot the ball when healthy and confident last summer in that tournament, I'm looking forward to seeing him in a Zag uni doing that as an upperclassman.
    And as was mentioned in what I think was the Few interview a while back, Rui as a underclassmen sort of had a cultured respect for the upperclassmen, like he deferred to them...something like that, remember? I wonder if, being his first go in the men's team, if there is some of that psychology in his expression right now, too.
    Great point. Perhaps his ankle is the cause of his shooting woes but if not the mental aspect may well be the reason. As any player knows, game time performance is more mental than physical assuming no injury issues. Rui’s apparent struggle with the deep ball this summer may well have everything to do with having a shadow of a doubt in his mind when he lets it fly if he should be so bold in taking the shots, what may his older veteran teammates think etc.

I think he will have full confidence that his Zag coaches and teammates want and need him to be an alpha for the squad this upcoming season. He sure seemed to embrace the role in the tourney last season...maybe the win or go home situation allowed him to give himself permission to embrace his inner alpha!!?
    “I don’t expect us to be perfect anytime soon,” guard Silas Melson said, “but one thing I do expect is trying to get better every day and playing tougher, harder and more physical than the opponent.”

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Weird, I've always been taught that there is no syllable emphasis in Japanese. So....ha-chi-mu-ra. No emphasis on any one syllable.
    Yeah, it's more pitch-based, but depending on where you stress it may sound really "foreign" to a native. (e.g. JP "ya-ku-za" vs ENG "ya-KOO-za"). I hear the Japanese TV pronunciations as either ha-chi-mu-ra or HA-chi-mu-ra. All of the incorrect hearings I've heard on American TV were just completely off: Hashimura, Hachimyura, Hat-chimura, Hachinura.
    SOUND VOLTEX IV HEAVENLY HAVEN

伝説になんてならなくていい。It does not need to become a legend.
    常に新たな礎を作っていけばいい。It should always make new foundations.
    これからもずっと。Always.

IMO…

Yes, Matt Bouldin was a very smart player, he had physical gifts and understood the game of basketball, especially the way Coach Few wanted it played. There is no doubting that Matt doesn’t have the God given physical gifts that Rui possesses, this we can all agree on…

Even today, I can still visualize Matt getting the ball on the wing at mid post and taking his smaller opponent to the basket and scoring and I see him coming off a screens and shooting jumpers. I am reminded of him, when I watch Rui's mannerisms on the court of how he moves with and without the ball, taking advantage of his smaller defenders just the same way Matt would. I just see the similarities and beauty of their games.

No one else has to agree but I do find it interesting that in my comparison of the two players, some of you are trying to point out the physical differences between the two players and that Rui hasn't yet developed his Bball acumen…again, that is a given but I am focusing on the way they would work in Coach Few’s offence – how they move to get open and take advantage of what the defence allows. That IMO is where the comparison ends.

Matt didn’t play in the NBA and in my opinion, it was because he was a tweener, which Rui isn’t. Rui, if he is able to stay clear of any major injuries, will be a lottery pick and play the SF or SG positions in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    IMO…

Yes, Matt Bouldin was a very smart player, he had physical gifts and understood the game of basketball, especially the way Coach Few wanted it played. There is no doubting that Matt doesn’t have the God given physical gifts that Rui possesses, this we can all agree on…

Even today, I can still visualize Matt getting the ball on the wing at mid post and taking his smaller opponent to the basket and scoring and I see him coming off a screens and shooting jumpers. I am reminded of him, when I watch Rui's mannerisms on the court of how he moves with and without the ball, taking advantage of his smaller defenders just the same way Matt would. I just see the similarities and beauty of their games.

No one else has to agree but I do find it interesting that in my comparison of the two players, some of you are trying to point out the physical differences between the two players and that Rui hasn't yet developed his Bball acumen…again, that is a given but I am focusing on the way they would work in Coach Few’s offence – how they move to get open and take advantage of what the defence allows. That IMO is where the comparison ends.

Matt didn’t play in the NBA and in my opinion, it was because he was a tweener, which Rui isn’t. Rui, if he is able to stay clear of any major injuries, will be a lottery pick and play the SF or SG positions in the NBA.
    Agreed, if he starts hitting the 3 ball.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

One thing that was puzzling this past year was how Rui's shooting fell off as the season progressed, especially at the line. He was clipping along steadily in the 90+% range and then fell off a bit. His longer range shots took the same route it seems. Did I see that correctly? Lost some confidence in his shot?
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    One thing that was puzzling this past year was how Rui's shooting fell off as the season progressed, especially at the line. He was clipping along steadily in the 90+% range and then fell off a bit. His longer range shots took the same route it seems. Did I see that correctly? Lost some confidence in his shot?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas.../rui-hachimura
    "I think we're all Bozos on this bus."

can any of our players defeat this Toyota robot in a Free Throw Shooting Contest?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15Y4xe9CoIM

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    can any of our players defeat this Toyota robot in a Free Throw Shooting Contest?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15Y4xe9CoIM
    Absolutely. His form is terrible -- he's across the foul line on every shot
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy