Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Things I have Not Been Doing

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    15,921

    Default Things I have Not Been Doing

    Been a while since I visited the Foo, couple weeks anyway. Thought I would catch everyone up on what I haven't been doing.

    Publishing
    Reproducing
    Recording a new hit
    Scoring a new movie
    Scoring
    Dieting
    Attending Mandatory Mini-Camp
    Pinch Hitting
    Breaking Par
    Breaking Bad
    Baking
    Crocheting
    Caddying
    Nuclear Weapons diplomacy
    diplomacy (general)


    How 'bout y'all? What have you not been doing?
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Pub
    Posts
    6,299

    Default

    -Lawyering
    -Camping
    -Shooting
    -Playing football, flag football, full court basketball, ultimate frisbee, ultimate football, or any other sport that requires acceleration or cutting.
    "The Foo is the most extraordinary collection of talent, of human knowledge, that has ever been gathered together on one message board with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson blogged alone." JFK -4.29.62-

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    15,921

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    -Lawyering
    -Camping
    -Shooting
    -Playing football, flag football, full court basketball, ultimate frisbee, ultimate football, or any other sport that requires acceleration or cutting.
    Me, neither. Except for a couple of them.

    Shooting for instance, I shot baskets with my daughter, but I haven't shot anything dead, which is what I'm sure you meant.

    Other things I haven't done:

    Autopsied anything
    hijacked anything
    Bagged anything big
    foraged for anything except keys
    crammed for anything
    prosecuted anything
    legislated anything

    I've had a couple good cheeseburgers, though.

    Anyone else not doing anything fun?
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Pub
    Posts
    6,299

    Default

    High speed go-kart racing. Those injuries take too long to heal after 40.
    "The Foo is the most extraordinary collection of talent, of human knowledge, that has ever been gathered together on one message board with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson blogged alone." JFK -4.29.62-

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Pub
    Posts
    6,299

    Default

    Running.

    I used to run a lot. Almost every day. Twenty-thirty miles per week. Then I blew my knees out.

    Did I do it rock climbing? Nope. Parachute jumping? Nope. Playing any of the high risk competitive sports that I did when I was in my teens, twenties, and thirties? Nada. Was the injury sustained in combat or during one of the myriad of Army training events that I participated in? No.

    I blew my knees pushing two babies in a jogging stroller.
    "The Foo is the most extraordinary collection of talent, of human knowledge, that has ever been gathered together on one message board with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson blogged alone." JFK -4.29.62-

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Pub
    Posts
    6,299

    Default

    I just found out that I won a drawing for entry in a highly selective 10K road race - one that I was never lucky enough to compete in when I could really run. I haven’t completed a 10K in ten years.

    I’d better start running.
    "The Foo is the most extraordinary collection of talent, of human knowledge, that has ever been gathered together on one message board with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson blogged alone." JFK -4.29.62-

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    South Hill, Spokane
    Posts
    19,597

    Default

    Going to the office
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    15,921

    Default

    Back after another break (I have had weird summer filled with stuff I am not doing)

    Didn't eat anything that had been alive minutes earlier
    Haven't harvested anything from the ground in 4 days
    Seen my girls lately. (DAMNIT)
    Seen any girls lately.
    Written a sonnet
    Written anything not technically true, which is too bad bc I am much better at making things up
    Seen any live music (that really sux)
    Been on the foo for last 2 weeks
    Been on smack for the last 2 weeks (again, have not)
    Or crack, ditto
    I did crackback, though, a couple times. Ever a smartass
    Still haven't written a bit hit single
    Haven't given a graduation address yet (ever, not just this summer) (and honestly, that bothers me more than it should)
    unfollowed anyone on the Twitter machine


    C'mon guys, there must be more interesting things that y'all haven't done.

    BTW - a study of the south and use of y'all. We no longer get to make fun of them, bc no one in the north uses the plural "you" anymore either. IN the north, we all say "you guys" (even girls), am I right? So what is the difference? "You guys" is both not gender neutral, longer, and just as redundant.

    Just an observation
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Back after another break (I have had weird summer filled with stuff I am not doing)

    Didn't eat anything that had been alive minutes earlier
    Haven't harvested anything from the ground in 4 days
    Seen my girls lately. (DAMNIT)
    Seen any girls lately.
    Written a sonnet
    Written anything not technically true, which is too bad bc I am much better at making things up
    Seen any live music (that really sux)
    Been on the foo for last 2 weeks
    Been on smack for the last 2 weeks (again, have not)
    Or crack, ditto
    I did crackback, though, a couple times. Ever a smartass
    Still haven't written a bit hit single
    Haven't given a graduation address yet (ever, not just this summer) (and honestly, that bothers me more than it should)
    unfollowed anyone on the Twitter machine


    C'mon guys, there must be more interesting things that y'all haven't done.

    BTW - a study of the south and use of y'all. We no longer get to make fun of them, bc no one in the north uses the plural "you" anymore either. IN the north, we all say "you guys" (even girls), am I right? So what is the difference? "You guys" is both not gender neutral, longer, and just as redundant.

    Just an observation
    Yinz- short and gender neutral.

    Have you taken to saying "well bless your heart?" living in the South?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Pub
    Posts
    6,299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    Running.

    I used to run a lot. Almost every day. Twenty-thirty miles per week. Then I blew my knees out.

    Did I do it rock climbing? Nope. Parachute jumping? Nope. Playing any of the high risk competitive sports that I did when I was in my teens, twenties, and thirties? Nada. Was the injury sustained in combat or during one of the myriad of Army training events that I participated in? No.

    I blew my knees pushing two babies in a jogging stroller.
    I started working my way back into a running routine in early May. I had signed up for a road race that happens in late September. I was planning to use the full five months to get ready. In mid-June, I learned that I had won the lottery to run a big road race in early August. I accelerated my training program to get ready. By late June, I was trail-running five miles with minimal knee pain. I haven’t been able to do that a long, long time.

    On Saturday, I felt a sudden stabbing pain while finishing a gentle slope on the last 1/4 mile of my run. I injured something in my Achilles. I am off the trail for a few days. I have an appointment to see an orthopedic specialist on Friday.

    I hope I can run by August.
    "The Foo is the most extraordinary collection of talent, of human knowledge, that has ever been gathered together on one message board with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson blogged alone." JFK -4.29.62-

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Pub
    Posts
    6,299

    Default

    Tweeting.
    "The Foo is the most extraordinary collection of talent, of human knowledge, that has ever been gathered together on one message board with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson blogged alone." JFK -4.29.62-

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Pub
    Posts
    6,299

    Default

    Twerking.
    "The Foo is the most extraordinary collection of talent, of human knowledge, that has ever been gathered together on one message board with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson blogged alone." JFK -4.29.62-

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,169

    Default

    I haven't been dancing (since February). I'm not sure if I posted this previously, but last September I started taking bellydance... Yes, I realize that bellydancing while pregnant sounds like the premise of some ridiculous SNL skit, but it kept me in shape. My knees have been sore lately, I think I need to start it up again. I'm going to start setting time aside each day for stretching so I don't have as hard of a time getting back into it as I did starting out.
    I may give Tahitian another try as well.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    15,921

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    I started working my way back into a running routine in early May. I had signed up for a road race that happens in late September. I was planning to use the full five months to get ready. In mid-June, I learned that I had won the lottery to run a big road race in early August. I accelerated my training program to get ready. By late June, I was trail-running five miles with minimal knee pain. I haven’t been able to do that a long, long time.

    On Saturday, I felt a sudden stabbing pain while finishing a gentle slope on the last 1/4 mile of my run. I injured something in my Achilles. I am off the trail for a few days. I have an appointment to see an orthopedic specialist on Friday.

    I hope I can run by August.
    I am sorry to hear that. I know you are/were so looking forward to that run. Hopefully they can inject it or something and get the inflammation down or something. Fingers crossed for you.

    I haven't broken any part of my body this summer, with possible exception of small parts in the brain they say I have.
    Haven't kept a cat.
    Haven't grown any cilantro, don't know what I'm doing wrong
    Haven't watched any channel except msnbc, espn and science channel (I assume there are other channels)
    Haven't served and volleyed
    Haven't driven a stick
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    15,921

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzgirl_127 View Post
    I haven't been dancing (since February). I'm not sure if I posted this previously, but last September I started taking bellydance... Yes, I realize that bellydancing while pregnant sounds like the premise of some ridiculous SNL skit, but it kept me in shape. My knees have been sore lately, I think I need to start it up again. I'm going to start setting time aside each day for stretching so I don't have as hard of a time getting back into it as I did starting out.
    I may give Tahitian another try as well.
    I haven't belly danced.

    I know people would likely pay me to stop me from belly dancing.

    I'm sure it's good exercise, it's just ...not my thing.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    287

    Default

    Still avoiding vegetables.




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Pub
    Posts
    6,299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    I am sorry to hear that. I know you are/were so looking forward to that run. Hopefully they can inject it or something and get the inflammation down or something. Fingers crossed for you.
    I saw an ortho specialist on Friday. He diagnosed a severe strain. The best remedy is rest with frequent heat and stretching. He did give me the green light to run a 10K in four weeks. He advised me to train on an eliptical trainer for a couple of weeks. In week three, I will transition to a run/walk program on a treadmill. My first outdoor running will be the road race on August 4th.

    Fingers crossed.
    "The Foo is the most extraordinary collection of talent, of human knowledge, that has ever been gathered together on one message board with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson blogged alone." JFK -4.29.62-

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    15,921

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    I saw an ortho specialist on Friday. He diagnosed a severe strain. The best remedy is rest with frequent heat and stretching. He did give me the green light to run a 10K in four weeks. He advised me to train on an eliptical trainer for a couple of weeks. In week three, I will transition to a run/walk program on a treadmill. My first outdoor running will be the road race on August 4th.

    Fingers crossed.
    Relatively speaking that is excellent news and was excited to read your reply. I know how much this means to you. Keep us updated?

    I haven't trained on an elliptical.
    Haven't snow shoe'd.
    Jet skied
    Skied
    Have been on a jet, unfortunately
    haven't jettisoned anything
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Pub
    Posts
    6,299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    I am sorry to hear that. I know you are/were so looking forward to that run. Hopefully they can inject it or something and get the inflammation down or something. Fingers crossed for you.
    Thanks. It is feeling somewhat better. I spent quite a bit of time icing and stretching over the weekend. I will know a lot more when I get back on the treadmill in a couple of weeks.
    "The Foo is the most extraordinary collection of talent, of human knowledge, that has ever been gathered together on one message board with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson blogged alone." JFK -4.29.62-

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    17,250 miles East of Spokane
    Posts
    16,457

    Default

    Hang Gliding.

    I took lessons last summer but haven't been able to invest the time to pick it back up.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    South Hill, Spokane
    Posts
    19,597

    Default

    Cooking fancy f'ing meals.

    It's a real passion but taking a backseat to newer, more engaging interests.

    That said, I'm still kicking out some badass sh!t these days -- albeit less frequently. I am no Corky. That guy is my hero.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    11,381

    Default

    Brewing a beer in over a month. Next brew day 7/22... Hate big gaps like that.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    7,094

    Default

    Working hard
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.
    Steven Wright

    Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2012
    Foo Fantasy Football Last Place Champ 2013

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    15,921

    Default

    Eating healthy
    Not playing a single sport professionally, not one.
    Not sold any rights to Steven Spielberg, none.
    Not had one date with Jennifer Garner, not one, and not just because my wife said "no."
    Not paid $130,000 to anyone to not talk about sex I didn't have.
    Have not been subpoenad by Congress, not once.
    Not seen the Zags play.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Pub
    Posts
    6,299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    I saw an ortho specialist on Friday. He diagnosed a severe strain. The best remedy is rest with frequent heat and stretching. He did give me the green light to run a 10K in four weeks. He advised me to train on an eliptical trainer for a couple of weeks. In week three, I will transition to a run/walk program on a treadmill. My first outdoor running will be the road race on August 4th.

    Fingers crossed.
    I finished the Beach to Beacon 10K this morning. My strained Achilles tendon held on for about five miles, but the last mile was miserable. It took fifteen minutes to limp/run the last mile, but I crossed the finish line.

    I will take a few days off and see how it feels. This might have been my last road race.
    "The Foo is the most extraordinary collection of talent, of human knowledge, that has ever been gathered together on one message board with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson blogged alone." JFK -4.29.62-

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •