Default Dunks, Only: GU All-Dunk Team

Will Maupin from the @WillsWCCblog posted this on Twitter:

G: Jeremy Pargo
    G: Ira Brown
    F: Elias Harris
    F: Casey Calvary
    C: Ronny Turiaf

Dunks, only
    It's hard to argue with this list. Any better ideas? Micah Downs was pretty good. Although I wouldn't bump anyone off the list because of it, this one of Josh Heytvelt's is a favorite of mine-- in part because it is a rare dunk on an in-bounds play:

I'd take off Elias and put on Micah. He was really good at dunking and was even in some contests - like at the Final Four.
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by Radbooks View Post
    I'd take off Elias and put on Micah. He was really good at dunking and was even in some contests - like at the Final Four.
    Agreed. Micah is one of the best dunkers we've ever had.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Anthony Reason. Matt Santangelo was a great dunker as well.

I love Micah and Harris....but I gotta keep Harris....I can still see this ally-op pass to him and his hand was higher then anything I had ever seen..could've grabbed a quarter off the top of the backboard. He was by far my favorite dunker we have had.

I think you could make a decent case for Downs over Brown as well, good as Ira is, and Micah can play the 2.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Pargo and some others....

This guy over Harris.

"The Foo is the most extraordinary collection of talent, of human knowledge, that has ever been gathered together on one message board with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson blogged alone." JFK -4.29.62-

My alltime favorite single dunk was Heytveldt off the opening tip.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Jeremy Pargo in the WSU game but called for the charge. Crap call but a great slam!

Erroll Knight had at least a few of the all-time dunks at GU. He may not as been as emphatic as some, but his dunks came from the craziest angles and insane height on his throw downs i.e. behind the backboard, along the baseline, out of nowhere oops, etc.

Anthony Reason had some emotional slamma jamma's during his time too.

Heytvelt's out-of-bounds dunk plays were signature, unstoppable, and memorable.

Silas Melson SHOULD have dunked more, he had the ability, maybe highest verticals of all-time, but seemed almost shy in games, unless on a breakaway.

Killian Tillie has had a couple of good ones.
    "Rob plays with a high level of intensity when it's time, has a good time when it's not ... I love his enthusiasm and his zest for life. He picks us all up when he enters the gym."

-- Coach Few

JWIII didn't have the "poster" types, but he had some vicious "underneath in traffic" one-handers that always made me think helped us look the part of a top 5 team.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

heytvelt's put back or "tip" jams off misses were 2nd to none. Always one handed and with authority.

rui quickly rising up the list. I thought he had some crazy dunks last season, esp in transition, or around guys.

Tillie's dunk vs Creighton was etched in my mind last year too. Killian finished off some nice high low alley-oops as well, has a lil Heytvelt in him.
    "Rob plays with a high level of intensity when it's time, has a good time when it's not ... I love his enthusiasm and his zest for life. He picks us all up when he enters the gym."

-- Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    This is my favorite as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If at first you don't succeed, try to solve the situation with a spud gun. ~Dwight Schrute~

Quote Originally Posted by Radbooks View Post
    My argument here is that Micah was an athletic jumper and a great dunker, but he wasn't a great in-game dunker. This was something he admitted (comparing himself to Pargo) when he and Jeremy Pargo were being interviewed at the NCAA dunk contest.

Think about how many highlight dunks Micah had during Gonzaga games, and then think about how many Elias had. I can't think of a single amazing Downs dunk, but I can think of multiple Harris dunks (just like I can for Pargo, Brown, and Heytvelt). The one at St. Mary's over Dellevadova, the one at home where he one handed the alley-oop from a Pangos pass against BYU.

If you can't do it in a game...
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Wayne Gretzky

1 more vote for Heytvelt, especially during our 2006 game against UNC.

Quote Originally Posted by zagapotomus View Post
    1 more vote for Heytvelt, especially during our 2006 game against UNC.
    Nice find.

One of my Top 5 games of all time. Remember that game like it was yesterday.

As good as we played that game it wasn't the best of seasons...

-- Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    Nice find.

One of my Top 5 games of all time. Remember that game like it was yesterday.

As good as we played that game it wasn't the best of seasons...
    Me too, at least for non-tournament games.

Josh H, Casey C, Pargo, Micah, Ira......in no particular order. But Micah was SO underused!

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Josh H, Casey C, Pargo, Micah, Ira......in no particular order. But Micah was SO underused!
    Pargo was a guard for crying out loud ....I agree about Micah...but those teams were so talented....he did win the MVP of the WCC Tourney his senior year...

Pargo
    Cavalry
    Turiaf
    Harris
    Heyfelt

My list is based on dunks in games not based on contests or non games.
    Go Zags!!!

He isn't really remembered for it but Frahm could throw down too. Especially his Sr. year when he was working on his resume and was taking it to the rack more and spotting up less for treys. He had some highlight reel hammers in K1 that never made it on film.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!