Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Brock Ravet

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Me...as you and others have pointed out....his size...... the fact that he plays in a B league ......questions about his defense....his step back shot...I am under the impression that he is not a highly rated recruit nor have many..... if any.... D! schools expressed a interest in him....those are reasons...….. if you don't think they are reasonable....that is your opinion...
    With ya, Bart.

I'm not sure if Jazz was talking about Ravet when he said that his coachbelieved he would not play much at Gonzaga. The post talks about two people, Petrusiv and Brock. Which one's coach said that? Brock's dad is his coach, and I know him, and I doubt he would have let his son go to Gonzaga if he did not believe his son would play at GU. Honestly, I understand why you would use Jazz for a reference because he thinks like you. He has seldom, if ever, someone like Brock Ravet could EVER play at GU. Brock agreed to play for Mark Few a long, long time ago. Was it in his Sophomore year? Why would any other D1 schools try to recruit Brock after he signed with Gonzaga? Also Pendo played in a B league, and I believed signed with Gonzaga his Sophomore year too. I would say he played for GU and played pretty damn well. Stephen Gray was playing for a team in the A league when I believed he signed with Gonzaga too. I know that he did transfer to a 4A school his last two years, but I think he had already signed. Stephen is one of my All-Time favorite Zags, and I believe Ravet is better offensively. i'm not sure about defensively yet. Two things they are equal in are a) they hate to lose, and b) they are tough. GU tough.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

When did Ravet's coach say he wouldn't play much at GU? I've been reading pretty much every off season post, and I missed that. Would appreciate seeing the quote.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    When did Ravet's coach say he wouldn't play much at GU? I've been reading pretty much every off season post, and I missed that. Would appreciate seeing the quote.
    Kevin Boyle, Montverde coach, about Filip.

That is why I had that "?" in my post...it wasn't clear to me if Jazz was talking about Brock...in any case, I think it is reasonable to have concerns about Brock's impact at Gonzaga.....time will tell...

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Kevin Boyle, Montverde coach, about Filip.
    Thanks. I would assume he meant as a freshman.

nor have many..... if any.... D! schools expressed a interest in him
    Why would they? He already committed.
    I doubt Kittitas is the first place D1 coaches are looking.

And an acknowledgment of the Zags brilliant returning trio of bigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Robzagnut View Post
    Sheesh, what a slow week... Here's what I got out of all this discussion:

I'm right = Critical thinking
    You're wrong = Your opinion
    You can be factually wrong and still have engaged in critical thought.

As far as Brock goes. Only time will tell. If someone sees something concerning, and they can articulate why, and defend it....then that's productive. Criticisms without a reasonable defense are not necessary. Nor is praise with the same lack of foundation. Brock can shoot, and he fixed his shot. He deserves recognition for that. He has yet to show he can play defense, and he is a shorter player with less length than Pendo. Shorter players are inherently less versatile. A 6-5/6-6 player like Pendo could defend just about 3 positions, and could be utilized in offensive sets with more breadth of responsibility.

If Brock comes out and is some poor man's-poor man's Steph Curry, then this team will be really hard to beat, next season. If all he ends up being able to do is shoot, and can't play D...he'll be on the bench quite a bit working on his sideline celebrations.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaholicPodcast View Post
    You can be factually wrong and still have engaged in critical thought.

So at this point in time does "Felix sucks" meet either of those criteria?
    "I think we're all Bozos on this bus."

Me...as you and others have pointed out....his size...... the fact that he plays in a B league ......questions about his defense....his step back shot...I am under the impression that he is not a highly rated recruit nor have many..... if any.... D! schools expressed a interest in him...in post #133 Jazz says his coach (?) has doubts he will play much at Gonzaga.... .those are reasons...….. if you don't think they are reasonable....that is your opinion...
    Not sure what coach you are talking about in regards to Ravet as his Dad coaches him and I doubt he'd say that. He is #77 overall in 247Sports and #24 Combo Guard on ESPN (80 rating). As for having no D1 schools interest is one of the most absurd things I've ever read on here. His lack of offers is probably due to the fact that he has been committed since June of last year before his HS junior season. Teams knowing he is a solid commit is going to make them much less likely to offer.

That is why I had that "?" in my post...it wasn't clear to me if Jazz was talking about Brock...in any case, I think it is reasonable to have concerns about Brock's impact at Gonzaga.....time will tell...
    Well if its not clear don't post it. And common sense would tell you his own father would not have said it. As for the B-league competition,he was second highest scorer and shot 41.5% from 3 and best Asst to turnover ratio on Washington Supreme aau team this summer. Easily their best player.

I apologize, I made a assumption and it was wrong....

Quote Originally Posted by doctorzag View Post
    Well if its not clear don't post it. And common sense would tell you his own father would not have said it. As for the B-league competition,he was second highest scorer and shot 41.5% from 3 and best Asst to turnover ratio on Washington Supreme aau team this summer. Easily their best player.
    I think most would say that Emmitt Mathews was the best player on that Washington Supreme team. He is a 2018 kid that played in the spring as an unsigned senior. Was leading scorer for Supreme and signed with West Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post
    I think most would say that Emmitt Mathews was the best player on that Washington Supreme team. He is a 2018 kid that played in the spring as an unsigned senior. Was leading scorer for Supreme and signed with West Virginia
    He did edge out Ravet in scoring 16.3 to 14.7 but Mattews was a terrible shooter. .343 overall and .293 from 3. Ravet .414 overall and .413 from 3.

He did edge out Ravet in scoring 16.3 to 14.7 but Mattews was a terrible shooter. .343 overall and .293 from 3. Ravet .414 overall and .413 from 3.
    Sounds like Matthews will fit right in at West Virginia
    “I don’t expect us to be perfect anytime soon,” guard Silas Melson said, “but one thing I do expect is trying to get better every day and playing tougher, harder and more physical than the opponent.”

Matthews also edged Brock in minutes played, but trailed him in assists/game by a full assist and trailed him in steals by .7/game, plus had 2.5 TO /game to Brock's 1.

Matthews may have led the team in scoring, but I wouldn't say that he was the best player on that team. He was the leading scorer and rebounder.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    So at this point in time does "Felix sucks" meet either of those criteria?
    Felix does suck, he is sinking the M's right now. And he is in my top all time favorite M (well tied with Griffey).

I am pretty sure the comment was made in regards to as a freshman. Honestly, if you look at our top 7/8/9 there are not many freshman in the country that would crack our top 7, most not our top 8 or 9. If you look at our top 6 I am not sure out much playing time any of Montverde's players not named Barrett would have received. We are truly loaded this year and that is what their coach was getting at with that comment.

And I have faith that Ravet will turn out to be a good Zag in the future. He plays against elite competition in the summer and holds his own. I find it funny at times that we dismiss what Brock does during the summer and give Anton all the credit in the world for playing local AAU ball and not playing against the elite talent. Anton is going to be a star, but just making a point that we criticize Brock for playing in B level for his dad during the school year, but don't criticize Anton for playing local AAU ball. Brock plays better talent all spring/summer than Anton plays during school ball and from all reports he is doing pretty dang well. His defense has never been on display during the spring/summer as most the shoe circuit games do not future defense. I think those who have been overly critical of him will be in for a treat when he shows up.

Thanks for the Ravet's stats over the summer. I'd say they are really good. It appears he plays some D, as he about 1 steal per game. smiling. I think the only negative things that I've read about Brock are the ones written and posted here. The national press seems to think Brock is a really good player.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Since ive kinda been less than optimistic, figure I'll try to make the turn here... I loved Wade in highschool, and I think Ravet is a really intriguing player. I knew it was a long shot with Jesse and hope that Brock will have a better chance as the cards kind of just didn't fall for Jesse with the time off and the injury adding to the athletic shortcomings. So physicality aside, what I really do like and think will get Brock as far as anything is the little bit of attitude he seems to have. Jesse had an opportunistic killer instinct, Brock seems a little more in your face about it. D 1 programs need players that push the issue, put the pedal down, stare you in the eye and sink a shot they know they can make. Brock seems to have that.

In addition to his basketball skills (#189 Nation, 3 star), the young man is bright, thoughtful and articulate....certainly mature for his age. In a interview at 247 he talks about his favorite team and his decision to commit to Gonzaga.

When asked what his expectations are....he replied....something like …." we will see "...… pretty good advice..

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaholicPodcast View Post
    You're attempting to make two things mutually exclusive that aren't, inherently. Critical thinking is a process. An opinion can be a derivative of critical thought. Your view of the expressed result is not necessarily the determinate for whether or not someone has applied critical thought. Perhaps you meant something different?
    meant exactly what I said, and still do.

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    I am pretty sure the comment was made in regards to as a freshman. Honestly, if you look at our top 7/8/9 there are not many freshman in the country that would crack our top 7, most not our top 8 or 9. If you look at our top 6 I am not sure out much playing time any of Montverde's players not named Barrett would have received. We are truly loaded this year and that is what their coach was getting at with that comment.
    Having seen Andrew Nembhard in person playing for Canada's senior men national team, he definitely would've seen time this season. That dude is a stone cold killer. So composed and skilled. Still bitter he never made the trip out to Spokane but Florida got themselves a good one.

But agreed on your point. Very few freshmen wouldve cracked this lineup.