Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brock Ravet

Default Brock Ravet

Brock and his high school team came to my town for a summer basketball tournament. I was extremely impressed by his passing abilities and his ability to make his teammates better. He helped his team overcome a 10 pt deficit to Selah who has a very good player in Elijah Pepper who is getting looks from some smaller D-1 schools. He has a tremendous step back as well but what was most impressive to me was his passing abilities. Very excited to see him wear a Zags uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by kortus3 View Post
    Brock and his high school team came to my town for a summer basketball tournament. I was extremely impressed by his passing abilities and his ability to make his teammates better. He helped his team overcome a 10 pt deficit to Selah who has a very good player in Elijah Pepper who is getting looks from some smaller D-1 schools. He has a tremendous step back as well but what was most impressive to me was his passing abilities. Very excited to see him wear a Zags uniform.
    Thanks for the info. It’s always nice to hear from someone who saw him play in person.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Thanks for the info. It’s always nice to hear from someone who saw him play in person.
    +1

Some video of Brock posted today ...

Quote Originally Posted by kortus3 View Post
    It's a beautiful thing to see. And how about his dribbling? Did you witness that too? I'm glad to hear that you saw him play Selah with Pepper. My grandson played for Selah. So I watched Selah play for like 4 years. I have always wanted to see the match up between Pepper and Ravet. Glad to hear Kittitas won. I'm not a Pepper fan at all. He's the most selfish player I've ever seen. Yes. He is talented and will play someplace in college. Probably at Central Washi like his dad. However, Ravet on the other hand is the real deal and I'm glad you were able to see them play on the same floor.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Great video of him ZN. Thanks. That's how he plays. Things to notice. He is a very good shooter as you all know. But I love his attacking style when he has the ball. I really like his dribbling and his cross over. Notice the speed of that cross-over and how low to the ground the ball is. And he can go both ways. GU is loaded at the guard positions, and it's going to tough to get playing time. Often, when there are so many guards, the determining factor, imo, is confidence. They will all have the tools, but who will be the one or two who are confident enough to display those talents, live, on a basketball floor with thousands of fans screaming. I admit, I like Ravet's confidence. And one thing everyone notice is his passing. Notice the speed of his passing. Notice how straight they are and when the receiver of his passes get the ball in the perfect place to be ready for a shot. Most of his passes are bullet passes. One thing you will notice about High School guards who will play in college is that they can pass.

What is his number?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    What is his number?
    he's #20 in that video.

What is UAA? Is that a new competitor to AAU ball?

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    What is UAA? Is that a new competitor to AAU ball?
    Pretty sure it's the circuit, Under Armour Association.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    Pretty sure it's the circuit, Under Armour Association.
    Oh, okay cool. Thanks

Some of the best defense that Stockton and Pangos ever played was their ability to see where to place themselves to take a charge. If he can do that, he will get a lot more college playing time.

The biggest takeaway from this video for me was that it looks like Brock has added some weight, which is good. He still has a lot of room to physically develop but it looks like he's been working. Otherwise, his offensive game and feel is very good, as usual. He will have a lot of work to do on his defense, which we already knew, to earn significant playing time early in his GU career.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    The biggest takeaway from this video for me was that it looks like Brock has added some weight, which is good. He still has a lot of room to physically develop but it looks like he's been working. Otherwise, his offensive game and feel is very good, as usual. He will have a lot of work to do on his defense, which we already knew, to earn significant playing time early in his GU career.
    An offensive star in the making, really natural feel, aggressive, smart, & a knack for hitting tough shots all over the court. excited for him as a scorer and playmaker and shooter...that said, his defense is very much a work in progress. And thats putting it mildly. Quite possibly the least effective on ball defender I've ever seen in a GU recruit. Pangos was light years ahead of him defensively at the same stage.

Ravet is good enough to play right out the gate, yet his defense will need to be hidden. I'm not talking about only ball screen issues rather any dribble drive, he is chasing and lost on pull up jumpers, shot fakes, & goodnight with any sort of screen.

We have an excellent coaching staff and will develop him, yet something doesn't click for Brock on that side of the court. It will hold him back until he's at least serviceable. Maybe taking charges will do it?

But again, I think he becomes a star at Gonzaga. I think he is just as good as Kevin Pangos, at least offensively. And really like his mindset with the ball, which can be uncoachable. An innate ability to find seams, and knock down amazing shots. his offensive potential is through the roof.
    "Rob plays with a high level of intensity when it's time, has a good time when it's not ... I love his enthusiasm and his zest for life. He picks us all up when he enters the gym."

-- Coach Few

thanks ZN, that was fun to watch. I think it was maynard who said he was a DD clone in another thread. he does kind of resemble him and how he looks out there

anyway, I saw the dribbling and passing Reborn
    he did a lot of drawing the d and passing to set up his teammates in those highlights, looked like the D was trying to maybe take away the perimeter, so he did other things besides shoot, and he set up his teammates all over, in rhythm set ups, nice passes in the pocket on the move. not sure if he got to the rim, maybe once, but effective in other ways off the bounce

psyched to watch him learn how to defend, like RTZ

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    I think it was maynard who said he was a DD clone in another thread. he does kind of resemble him and how he looks out there
    Not exactly. I pointed out some similarities in terms of how they were rated/evaluated as recruits, in response to people questioning the recruitment of Ravet due to perceived defensive liabilities. In highlights, I do think he's highly gifted offensively and that he has a chance to be a star.

But you never know. I was in Eugene a decade ago for the Oregon 6a title game, South Medford/Kyle Singler v Lake Oswego/Kevin Love. Singler fouled out either late in the 3rd or early in the 4th trying to guard Love in the post, and it looked like lights out for SM. But SM's Mike Harthun, playing with a heavily taped/stitched up shooting hand, made 3 or 4 tough contested 3's late to defeat Love's team. (Earlier in the year, he scored 30 against Oak Hill in the Les Schwab Invitational.) When he went to WSU to play for Tony Bennett, I thought he'd be close to as good there as Blake Stepp was for GU. He would up as a role player for Portland State.

One thing that hasn't been talked about yet about Ravet's game is his pull-up jump shot from any place on the court. In this way, he does remind me of Dickau. From all the tape I've watched, I have not found any recruit who can shoot that shot like Ravet. And the way he does it is so beautiful. He can shot that shot anywhere, and what makes it so beautiful is that he often does one or two crossover dribbles. I love his crossover dribble. He also passes really well when performing that move, so a defender doesn't have any idea whether Ravet will shoot the pull-up pumper out of that crossover move, or whether he's going to pass it to the corner for a wide open shot. His excellent ability to get inside the defense and draw the defenders into him, and than make that pass to the corner, is truly impressive.

He seems taller now than when I saw him a year ago. Maybe 2 or 3 inches taller.

i trust the coaching staff .....seems they went the NBA way...draft early on potential IMO

Quote Originally Posted by soccerdud View Post
    he's #20 in that video.
    Thanks!

I watched the video again and he is very much a patient and under-control type player...he has quickness and can take his defender to the hoop and also has a keen eye in finding the open man. I couldn't see the mechanics of his jumper but he made what he shot. Didn't see any individual play on defence but also didn't see him being scored upon either...It has been awhile since I evaluated talent based on one viewing but he appears to have the requisite skills to play for GU. We will have to see how he can adjust to the speed of D1 on both ends of the court.

I also like #1 on Brock's team as well, wonder what his age, grade, position and height might be...

ZN thanks for posting!

I am certainly no expert.... but am skeptical ….. obviously the staff has done a very good job of recruiting.... but they have also recruited a number of players who contributed very little and have transferred out to less competitive programs...

Potential is just that....potential...

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Not exactly. I pointed out some similarities in terms of how they were rated/evaluated as recruits, in response to people questioning the recruitment of Ravet due to perceived defensive liabilities. In highlights, I do think he's highly gifted offensively and that he has a chance to be a star.
    thanks for the clarification.
    anyway, he looks like DD to me, including the perceived defensive liabilities, or more accurate, the apparent defensive liabilities, at least at this point.
    agree with Reborn he looks like he's grown since the last videos of him I saw posted here, looks more cut too
    wish I could see him play live like many of you have, or at least a video of an entire game. thanks for the reports

I wonder if Brock, being his HS teams best offensive player, has been encouraged to not play as hard on defense, in order to save energy for offense?

I don't know, just a thought, and if so I am sure the Zag coaches will work hard on that.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I wonder if Brock, being his HS teams best offensive player, has been encouraged to not play as hard on defense, in order to save energy for offense?

I don't know, just a thought, and if so I am sure the Zag coaches will work hard on that.
    Hmmm... Can't think of any instance where a coach would ask a player to not play defense, so their offense wouldn't suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Robzagnut View Post
    Hmmm... Can't think of any instance where a coach would ask a player to not play defense, so their offense wouldn't suffer.
    one example: trae young this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Robzagnut View Post
    Morrison has admitted to it at times that he conserved energy on the defensive end for his offense.