Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Brock Ravet

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Making the all tournament team at FIBA eliminates much of the question mark IMO.
    Good point. Certainly a "question mark" in the sense that he hasn't played a minute of D-1 basketball. But if you look at the history of Zags doing well in this Tourney: Pangos, Karno, Sabonis ... I like our chances with this kid!

Petrusev, is an exclamation point not a question mark.... not even close.... sometimes I wonder what others see when they watch games, cause some of the opinions here are so off base about players, there are still some here who don't think Snacks can run the point.... basketball is not a perfect game, players are not perfect.... as for young Mr. Ravet.... he will make his mark at GU whether it is an exclamation point or skid mark, it's up to him and either way I'll cheer him on...he's a Zag. He'll play himself off the bench or onto the bench.... cause that's how it works.

Just my opinion

Go!! Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigblahla View Post
    Petrusev, is an exclamation point not a question mark.... not even close.... sometimes I wonder what others see when they watch games, cause some of the opinions here are so off base about players, there are still some here who don't think Snacks can run the point.... basketball is not a perfect game, players are not perfect.... as for young Mr. Ravet.... he will make his mark at GU whether it is an exclamation point or skid mark, it's up to him and either way I'll cheer him on...he's a Zag. He'll play himself off the bench or onto the bench.... cause that's how it works.

Just my opinion

Go!! Zags!!!
    Snacks can run the point, I just don't want him to. Maybe a point-forward, but I want him moving without the ball more.
    Petrusev is going to be great. Would like to see that outside shot some more.....maybe put on a few pounds...
    Ravet is not a miss, at least offensively. He will need to work on D. I've seen him play in person, he's athletic enough to at least be serviceable on D...just needs to show it on the D1 level. That step-back will work, and it works from anywhere....mid-range and from long distance. He's going to destroy anybody that cheats on a screen. I think of Ravio but who can elevate with his shot. He's got a little mean streak too. He could be the perfect compliment to Dom2020.

You don't become one of the all time winning NCAA coaches by not playing your best 5. In Few we trust.

Quote Originally Posted by EEzag View Post
    Snacks can run the point, I just don't want him to. Maybe a point-forward, but I want him moving without the ball more.
    Petrusev is going to be great. Would like to see that outside shot some more.....maybe put on a few pounds...
    Ravet is not a miss, at least offensively. He will need to work on D. I've seen him play in person, he's athletic enough to at least be serviceable on D...just needs to show it on the D1 level. That step-back will work, and it works from anywhere....mid-range and from long distance. He's going to destroy anybody that cheats on a screen. I think of Ravio but who can elevate with his shot. He's got a little mean streak too. He could be the perfect compliment to Dom2020.

You don't become one of the all time winning NCAA coaches by not playing your best 5. In Few we trust.
    I don't see him as an NBA prospect, at this point...but I don't know how anyone could watch his ball handling and footwork, while facing up in the post, and not *at least* be encouraged. If he maintains that aggressiveness he'll get blocked some, but he's also going to create a lot of fouls. And he can shoot from the stripe. He'll have a place right away.

Just my opinion

Go!! Zags!!!

Beautifully put
    Think Big. No think Bigger than that!

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    The competition as a whole Was not elite. And, it’s a different style of play than what he’ll see at a u.s. college.he could do quite well, as we all hope or believe, but there are enough variables to make him a question mark.
    That's actually completely incorrect. The competition actually was elite it, was the best of the best of European players. Many of whom will go on to play high major division one or Euroleague

Filip is going to be an outstanding player at GU and I believe he will follow the same route as Sabonis, and leave after his second season of playing at GU...He is fundamentally strong and just needs to develop physically...we will all be impressed with his play the next two years and hope he stays for his third season...

Spy I cannot agree that the competition was against elite competition as there were many players on those teams that could play D1 but those players were high school age players and NOT D1 players...there is a difference and his success will be determined on how quickly he adjusts to the speed, strength and skill level of his opponents. Maui will give us a good indication of where he is and can be in the coming months...l see him and Jacob getting similar moments that Tillie and Zack had...it will be a Glorious season...IMO

Just my opinion

Go!! Zags!!!
    Bingo. As recently as 2 weeks ago, his HS coach said he will not play much at GU. An acknowledgment of GU's talent rather than a rip on the kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Filip is going to be an outstanding player at GU and I believe he will follow the same route as Sabonis, and leave after his second season of playing at GU...He is fundamentally strong and just needs to develop physically...we will all be impressed with his play the next two years and hope he stays for his third season...

Spy I cannot agree that the competition was against elite competition as there were many players on those teams that could play D1 but those players were high school age players and NOT D1 players...there is a difference and his success will be determined on how quickly he adjusts to the speed, strength and skill level of his opponents. Maui will give us a good indication of where he is and can be in the coming months...l see him and Jacob getting similar moments that Tillie and Zack had...it will be a Glorious season...IMO
    The Bonus was light years from where F is....not close. And played at a higher level overseas.

Sigh. I kind of prefer the “old days” when we naively thought every recruit would become a super star as opposed to now when so many seem to demean our recruits’ potential and talent.

Quote Originally Posted by tyra View Post
    Sigh. I kind of prefer the “old days” when we naively thought every recruit would become a super star as opposed to now when so many seem to demean our recruits’ potential and talent.
    Naivete trumps critical thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post

Um....they were elite for their age group. Many of them will play D1A hoops or Euroleague and some will even make the NBA. Elite is relative, they're not elite if you put them against current NBA players, but it was a tournament of elite players in their age bracket.

Can you defend this statement? I see very little demeaning...if at all. Critique is important. If you walked outside your house, and it was sunny...and you said "Hey, it's sunny out, today, and that means the temperature may go up", you'd be making an evaluation, correct? If you saw a stove top on, and you said "Hey, that stove top is hot, and I shouldn't put my hand on it, because I will get burned"...you'd be evaluating a situation based on cause and effect that you understand, correct? Then why is it all of the sudden inappropriate to extrapolate based on perception, here? Isn't this board really high on education? Would any of those who went to GU find their professors agreeing with them endorsing naiveté, and dogmatic rhetoric that seeks to cut short critical thought/discourse?

Certainly, if it becomes ad hominem, shut it down. And you most certainly should have to defend your position, regardless the side you fall on. But those are different discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    The Bonus was light years from where F is....not close. And played at a higher level overseas.

Yeah, it would be great to be proven wrong...but Petrusev is nowhere near the talent Sabonis was coming in, let alone where they will end up.

Critical thinking trumps opinion

lots of opinion here, no problem with that, it's a message board and I share mine too, but opinion is not critical thinking, or is it now?

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    .... opinion is not critical thinking ....
    Thank you.

??? Opinions can be the products of critical thinking....they are not somehow mutually exclusive....the concerns about Brock are reasonable ….it doesn't matter what we think..... and I am confident he will get ample opportunities to demonstrate his skills...

Thank you, Tyra.
    "I'm telling you Tillie knows how to play." - Mark Few

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    Critical thinking trumps opinion

lots of opinion here, no problem with that, it's a message board and I share mine too, but opinion is not critical thinking, or is it now?
    You're attempting to make two things mutually exclusive that aren't, inherently. Critical thinking is a process. An opinion can be a derivative of critical thought. Your view of the expressed result is not necessarily the determinate for whether or not someone has applied critical thought. Perhaps you meant something different?

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaholicPodcast View Post
    You're attempting to make two things mutually exclusive that aren't, inherently. Critical thinking is a process. An opinion can be a derivative of critical thought. Your view of the expressed result is not necessarily the determinate for whether or not someone has applied critical thought. Perhaps you meant something different?
    Sheesh, what a slow week... Here's what I got out of all this discussion:

I'm right = Critical thinking
    You're wrong = Your opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Robzagnut View Post

Lol

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by Robzagnut View Post

Probably good to see the new kids play some D1 ball before we evaluate their suitability for the next
    Level. Kids, especially newcombers, need time to develop. As best I can tell, both Brock and Filip have bright college futures.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    ??? Opinions can be the products of critical thinking....they are not somehow mutually exclusive....the concerns about Brock are reasonable ….it doesn't matter what we think..... and I am confident he will get ample opportunities to demonstrate his skills...
    Who says they're reasonable?
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Who says they're reasonable?

Me...as you and others have pointed out....his size...... the fact that he plays in a B league ......questions about his defense....his step back shot...I am under the impression that he is not a highly rated recruit nor have many..... if any.... D! schools expressed a interest in him...in post #133 Jazz says his coach (?) has doubts he will play much at Gonzaga.... .those are reasons...….. if you don't think they are reasonable....that is your opinion...