Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Of course.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kettle Falls
    Posts
    671

    Default Of course.

    Lawrence Retweeted #DukeNation
    Duke hasn’t independently scheduled a road game on an actual college campus since 2008.


    https://www.12up.com/posts/6083114-i...partners/40920
    "Neck-ties are just maxi pads for your throat." - Ted Williams

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    8,526

    Default

    Syracuse gets killed for doing this, but Duke skates by. Duke is immune to any form of criticism by talking heads. 35% road games for ACC-Big 10 Challenge is obscene. It's supposed to alternate every other year road and home game.


    But...but...but they play at MSG all the time, that doesn't count?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,357

    Default

    Cool, that NC is playing @ Wofford and Elon

    I was going to say that Duke played at Portland couple years ago...realized that my "couple years ago" = 18 years..lol
    I would never be a sellout............unless of course I got a boat load of money to do it

  4. #4

    Default

    The Florida Gators football team has not played an out of state true ooc road game since 1992 when they went to Syracuse and lost. No that was not a typo.
    Last edited by thespywhozaggedme; 06-10-2018 at 08:59 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagsker View Post
    Cool, that NC is playing @ Wofford and Elon

    I was going to say that Duke played at Portland couple years ago...realized that my "couple years ago" = 18 years..lol


    Played at the Rose Garden if I recall

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Pleasanton, California
    Posts
    205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    The Florida Gators football team has not played a true ooc road game since 1992 when they went to Syracuse and lost. No that was not a typo.
    I believe King Saban and Bama football has played something like 2 true
    non conferenceroad games in the past 15 years...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagsker View Post
    Cool, that NC is playing @ Wofford and Elon

    I was going to say that Duke played at Portland couple years ago...realized that my "couple years ago" = 18 years..lol
    That was for Kyle Singler of Medford. Not quite 18 years, but close enough.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,075

    Default

    And they never will change their scheduling habits. I believe they are the most profitable college basketball program that there is, and the schedule doesn't hurt their recruiting and ability to win titles. I'd do the exact same thing if it were producing the same results.

    One of the things that Coach K does that people don't often notice is that he schedules really good mid major programs who normally wouldn't schedule a one off guarantee game but who are willing to with Duke because it gives their kids a chance to play at Cameron Indoor. He doesn't just pile up cupcakes. A lot of the teams that they beat at home have RPI's in the 40's and such.

    Another reason they won't change their non-con scheduling ways is that the ACC is adopting a 20 game league schedule soon.

    It should be noted that Coach K didn't always do this. I remember Duke playing at Michigan against the Fab 5. They played at UCLA. But at some point Coach K caught on to a formula that works and generates big time profit.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZAG 4 LIFE View Post
    I believe King Saban and Bama football has played something like 2 true
    non conferenceroad games in the past 15 years...
    That's bad, but nothing beats zero ooc road games in 26 years like Florida. That is shameful!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,431

    Default

    Why would you if you don't need to? Home team pays out a portion of the gate/concessions/etc., still get into the tournament. It always comes down to a 68 team tournament. Might be a less favorable seed, but if the team is really good enough to win 6 games, they'll win 6 games.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    673

    Default

    I’d love to see Gonzaga go play at Duke every 2-3 years!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5,068

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KStyles View Post
    Why would you if you don't need to? Home team pays out a portion of the gate/concessions/etc., still get into the tournament. It always comes down to a 68 team tournament. Might be a less favorable seed, but if the team is really good enough to win 6 games, they'll win 6 games.
    As long as all the foul calls are equitable, as well as the rest of the officiating.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    That's bad, but nothing beats zero ooc road games in 26 years like Florida. That is shameful!
    Maybe you meant to say out of state too, but Florida does play at Florida State every other year... if you got that wrong, wouldn’t be surprised if there are others too, but I don’t know.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoZag View Post
    Maybe you meant to say out of state too, but Florida does play at Florida State every other year... if you got that wrong, wouldn’t be surprised if there are others too, but I don’t know.
    yes, I did mean out of state, I thought that was understood, but apparently not, my bad. They have not left their state for a true out of conference road game since 1992 when they play and lost at Syracuse. That is a fact. That is also indefensible
    Last edited by thespywhozaggedme; 06-10-2018 at 09:07 AM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    405

    Default

    ....just shows that Duke is an elite program in an elite conference. No worries about RPI or being "tested" because that will happen within their conference every single year.
    Why go on the road, if you can play at home? No brainier really

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    That's mandated by the Florida state legislature. But yes, I did mean out of state, I thought that was understood, but apparently not, my bad. They have not left their state for a true out of conference road game since 1992 when they play and lost at Syracuse. That is a fact. That is also indefensible
    I’m not a Gator fan, but your “facts” aren’t as ironclad as you’d like them to sound. There is no mandate that UF and FSU play. A bill was introduced in the 1950s (at a time when FSU wasn’t very good), that would’ve required those two schools to compete against each other. It failed. The governor soon got involved and met with presidents from both schools behind closed doors. An agreement was subsequently reached. In other words, there is/was a contract. Let’s be intellectually honest here as this same scenario has played out over the last decade with Gonzaga being on both sides of the coin with UW and WSU.

    Objectively, your premise isn’t really applicable to a discussion on a basketball message board about OOC scheduling. Football and basketball scheduling are too dissimilar. UF schedules three OOC games a year, one of which is the home and home with FSU. Realistically, you’re talking about a traditional football power scheduling two games. There’s no reason for UF to play those games on the road when it can fill the swamp and reap the monetary benefit beyond whatever it pays the opposing team for a guarantee game. No shame in playing two cupcakes before venturing into SEC play. Gonzaga does it a half a dozen times a year on the hardwood. There is an alumni base to please and bills to pay. All of this is moot when UF brings Miami back to the schedule in 2019.

    As San Diego points out, UF does play a road game every other year in Tallahassee. Your initial message was scripted in a way that made it sound as if the Gators never left Gainesville after a loss to Syracuse in 1992. San Diego had the same reaction I did. No reason to be so snarky when he raised an obvious point you felt was obvious and beneath stating.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    That's mandated by the Florida state legislature. But yes, I did mean out of state, I thought that was understood, but apparently not, my bad. They have not left their state for a true out of conference road game since 1992 when they play and lost at Syracuse. That is a fact. That is also indefensible
    Spy, you nitpick every other posters statements on this site even when everyone knows exactly what they mean. You made a statement that Florida plays 0 road out of conference games a year which is actually false and a poster politely corrected you. Don’t get offended about it.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WyoZag View Post
    I’m not a Gator fan, but your “facts” aren’t as ironclad as you’d like them to sound. There is no mandate that UF and FSU play. A bill was introduced in the 1950s (at a time when FSU wasn’t very good), that would’ve required those two schools to compete against each other. It failed. The governor soon got involved and met with presidents from both schools behind closed doors. An agreement was subsequently reached. In other words, there is/was a contract. Let’s be intellectually honest here as this same scenario has played out over the last decade with Gonzaga being on both sides of the coin with UW and WSU.

    Objectively, your premise isn’t really applicable to a discussion on a basketball message board about OOC scheduling. Football and basketball scheduling are too dissimilar. UF schedules three OOC games a year, one of which is the home and home with FSU. Realistically, you’re talking about a traditional football power scheduling two games. There’s no reason for UF to play those games on the road when it can fill the swamp and reap the monetary benefit beyond whatever it pays the opposing team for a guarantee game. No shame in playing two cupcakes before venturing into SEC play. Gonzaga does it a half a dozen times a year on the hardwood. There is an alumni base to please and bills to pay. All of this is moot when UF brings Miami back to the schedule in 2019.

    As San Diego points out, UF does play a road game every other year in Tallahassee. Your initial message was scripted in a way that made it sound as if the Gators never left Gainesville after a loss to Syracuse in 1992. San Diego had the same reaction I did. No reason to be so snarky when he raised an obvious point you felt was obvious and beneath stating.
    Florida has not played an out of state road conference game since 1992 when they lost at Syracuse. Despite your efforts, that is indefensible.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bouldin4Prez View Post
    Spy, you nitpick every other posters statements on this site even when everyone knows exactly what they mean. You made a statement that Florida plays 0 road out of conference games a year which is actually false and a poster politely corrected you. Don’t get offended about it.
    Florida has not played an out of state road conference game since 1992 when they lost at Syracuse. This isn't polite, btw: if you got that wrong, wouldn’t be surprised if there are others too, but I don’t know

  20. #20

    Default

    I corrected my original post about the Florida Gators football teams ooc schedule. My apologies for getting it wrong, but it has now been corrected.

  21. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WyoZag View Post
    I’m not a Gator fan, but your “facts” aren’t as ironclad as you’d like them to sound. There is no mandate that UF and FSU play. A bill was introduced in the 1950s (at a time when FSU wasn’t very good), that would’ve required those two schools to compete against each other. It failed. The governor soon got involved and met with presidents from both schools behind closed doors. An agreement was subsequently reached. In other words, there is/was a contract. Let’s be intellectually honest here as this same scenario has played out over the last decade with Gonzaga being on both sides of the coin with UW and WSU.

    Objectively, your premise isn’t really applicable to a discussion on a basketball message board about OOC scheduling. Football and basketball scheduling are too dissimilar. UF schedules three OOC games a year, one of which is the home and home with FSU. Realistically, you’re talking about a traditional football power scheduling two games. There’s no reason for UF to play those games on the road when it can fill the swamp and reap the monetary benefit beyond whatever it pays the opposing team for a guarantee game. No shame in playing two cupcakes before venturing into SEC play. Gonzaga does it a half a dozen times a year on the hardwood. There is an alumni base to please and bills to pay. All of this is moot when UF brings Miami back to the schedule in 2019.

    As San Diego points out, UF does play a road game every other year in Tallahassee. Your initial message was scripted in a way that made it sound as if the Gators never left Gainesville after a loss to Syracuse in 1992. San Diego had the same reaction I did. No reason to be so snarky when he raised an obvious point you felt was obvious and beneath stating.
    I deleted that part, thanks for the correction.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Hilton Head (Bluffton), SC
    Posts
    3,536

    Default

    UK stopped playing road games against IU and ND for the same reasons UF, UA and other P5 schools don't play away OOC games...MONEY...UK gave the reason as losing money so they now schedule two more home games and keep all the money instead of having to split it with an opponent at a neutral site.

    It isn't like P5 conferences are hurting for money...I heard a figure of $50M each school in the SEC made from TV/Bowl revenue...it is astounding the money these conferences make...if it ain't broke don't fix it...

    The NCAA doesn't have the juice to demand P5 schools play OOC road games, if they did then my guess is you would see them breakaway from the NCAA altogether...it is all about MONEY!

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,357

    Default

    Make it this way to be eligible for the playoff you have to play an out-of-state ooc true road game once every two years...if you miss it in the 2 year window you are ineligible the next year. Doesn't have to be at a P5..could be any conference OR division....imagine Florida at Montana, AWESOME!!!!

    Have this requirement go into effect 2022
    I would never be a sellout............unless of course I got a boat load of money to do it

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Florida has not played an out of state road conference game since 1992 when they lost at Syracuse. Despite your efforts, that is indefensible.
    Would it still be indefensible if the Florida/Syracuse game actually happened in 1991 and not 1992 (yes, I realize this further proves your point)?

    Sorry, I don't mean to nitpick...but like Bouldin said, you nitpick at every possible opportunity. I love your passion for Zag hoops, and appreciate that there is regular conversation on GUBoards to read, but EVERY post that comes across does not need a point of contention or added commentary. It is sometimes okay to just observe and not post on a thread...like I do every day.

    In the age of the internet and google, if you put a factual type comment down, it is very easy for others to confirm via a search if they are interested. When you say something is "fact" or is "not a typo"...well, yeah, I could write anything I wanted down and say it was not a typo. That doesn't make it a fact or correct.

    Sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread. Like another poster said, college football scheduling is very different than college basketball scheduling.

    The Gators (and other SEC teams) actually play FOUR regular season non-conference opponents each year...so when they play Florida State each year, they are still playing at least three non-conference opponents on their home field, and at least two are cupcake city. So, yes, they hand themselves bowl eligibility each year, while other conferences like the Pac-12 and Big 10, play an additional in-conference game.

    So, overall, your point about Gators football scheduling is very true in the sense that they go out of their way to lighten their load. It frustrates me like none other that schools like this are able to pad their record so easily and still get so much praise...especially when you play in a 16 team conference where it is possible to miss the top teams in the league...like the Gators did last year when they didn't play Alabama, Auburn, Miss State, etc.

    The Zags could not get away with weak non-con scheduling at all though, since they reside in the WCC. As has been discussed ad nauseam, St. Mary's does that every year, and we see where that gets them. I am VERY excited that the Zags are playing such a competitive non-league schedule in 2018...it is hard to get too riled up to watch them play Incarnate Word. The Zags have done an unbelievable job of scheduling for the last 20 plus years, given their constraints.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    890

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Florida has not played an out of state road conference game since 1992 when they lost at Syracuse. Despite your efforts, that is indefensible.
    So what. Gonzaga hasn't played an out of state road conference football game since 1942.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •