Thread: OT - What Women's Sports do You Support??

Default OT - What Women's Sports do You Support??

Since this is the slow season I thought I might try and get some movement on this board by asking some poll type questions to get to know more about one another. Most of us are well aware that women's sports in the good ol' USA (as well as most places in the world) are not typically supported (financially, on television and in the stands) nearly to the extent of male sports. In many cases, the women's version of the sport is significantly different (maybe better??) than the male version of the same sport. For example, in Mbb dunking is a major part of the game, while in Wbb dunking (with a few exceptions) does not exist. Similarly, in tennis, the first serve plays a much bigger role in Men's tennis than in Women's tennis. I personally find that I enjoy women's softball more than men's baseball, women's tennis to men's tennis.

I am personally quite a sports (and history) junkie and I will watch just about any sport on TV as long as there is some action. When I am out of town, I try to attend at least one sporting event in whatever city I am in. This could be a baseball game, soccer game, indoor football game, WNBA game, etc. Just in the past couple of weeks, I have watched the college softball world series with FSU being crowned as the champs (UW Huskies finished second). I have watched several of the matches (men and women) at the French Open. I also have watched much of the college track and field finals which are being held in Eugene this weekend. NHRA drag racing where several women are more than competitive with several women being either reigning champs or past champions. Of course, I support our local teams, the Seahawks, Mariners, and Sounders.

Are we on this board, typical of the rest of America? Do you support college women's basketball because that is where the Lady Zags participate or are you a fan of women's sports in general (not necessarily to the exclusion of men's sports)?

If you are a supporter of women's sports what other women's sports do you support either in person or by watching on TV?

ZagDad

I don't watch every sport on tv, but there are several women's sports I'm a fan of. I used to go to almost all of UW's home volleyball matches. Now it's more like 1 per year but I watch most of the matches on TV. Go to a few UW women's bball games. Watch a ton of Pac 12 women's hoops on tv and a handful of non Pac 12 games. I used to get pretty into the softball World Series, then lost interest for a number of years, but was definitely drawn in again this year (Regionals and Super Regionals as well). I've tried to get into the WNBA but have had a hard time, but in general I don't follow professional sports nearly as much as college. A little tennis here and there, a bit of various events during the Olympics.

Am a big track & field fan, so will make sure that I'm watching the women (and the men) whenever it's on the tube.

NCAA Championships going on in Eugene this weekend.
    "I think we're all Bozos on this bus."

None...I caddied on the LPGA Tour for a few years after I retired, so I knew the players and I watched...until I didn't know the players....

I will give them this though...... they hit it pure..... right in the sweet spot on the club....not at all unusual for them to drive the ball twice their weight ….not many.... if any.... PGA Pros can do that....

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Am a big track & field fan, so will make sure that I'm watching the women (and the men) whenever it's on the tube.

NCAA Championships going on in Eugene this weekend.
    I just happened to be flipping by and caught the last event. Epic comeback in the final 100 m of the 4x400 relay gives USC a National Championship. And a protest over some contact. Some serious drama to end the day.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    I just happened to be flipping by and caught the last event. Epic comeback in the final 100 m of the 4x400 relay gives USC a National Championship. And a protest over some contact. Some serious drama to end the day.
    One of the most epic stretch runs I ever seen on the track!

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    One of the most epic stretch runs I've ever seen!! Check it out:

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/

(scroll down just a bit)

Yes indeed, an epic stretch run.

You got to feel for Georgia. USC had to win the 4x400 relay to win the title over Georgia and they did. Last year Oregon did the same thing to Georgia, by winning the last event, the 4x400 relay to deny the Bulldogs a National Championship.

2 years in a row denied by a Pac-12 team.

ZagDad

Any time a SEC team loses and Pac 12 team wins is fine in my book, in any sport.

Aside from my season tickets to watch the Gonzaga women play basketball, which I'm proud to say is now over ten years, I follow a lot of high school sports. I find myself more and more watching the girls as much, if not more, than their male counterparts. I've seen their skills develop a hundredfold since they were finally able to take to the playing fields in the 1970's. I've personally followed them in basketball, volleyball, soccer and softball, both slow and fast pitch. They just keep getting more skilled. Anyone who discounts women's sports is truly missing out on watching some very skilled athletes.

generally like a lot of sports..not so much golf,mens nor womens...don't watch the wnba or the nba for the most part...womens tennis if I can catch it live....love track and field....I'd watch a lot more womens bb if there was a way to watch the European leagues or the Australian leagues...

Quote Originally Posted by Cavebear33 View Post
    Aside from my season tickets to watch the Gonzaga women play basketball, which I'm proud to say is now over ten years, I follow a lot of high school sports. I find myself more and more watching the girls as much, if not more, than their male counterparts. I've seen their skills develop a hundredfold since they were finally able to take to the playing fields in the 1970's. I've personally followed them in basketball, volleyball, soccer and softball, both slow and fast pitch. They just keep getting more skilled. Anyone who discounts women's sports is truly missing out on watching some very skilled athletes.
    Here, Here, Cavebear.

In those sports where the regular season becomes a simple matter of seeding (NBA, NHL, and so on) so that the regular season games have little meaning, that is exactly how much attention I give them. Did not watch hardly any NBA games until the 2nd round of the playoffs. A few more NHL games but not many. When half the league makes the playoffs, it reduces the viability of the regular season. Throw in the teams that are intentionally tanking (NBA, MLB, NHL, etc.). I simply refuse to waste my time with such crap.

WNBA has it's own problems. When players can simply refuse to play, force a trade to the team of their choice even when they have years remaining on their contract. Forcing teams to trade their best players to contending teams does nothing to build fan support. There is a reason there are only 12 teams in the WNBA and if the NBA did not underwrite the league, they would be history.

Some great women's performance's this week. as noted above, Ladies D-1 Track and Field was exciting and down to the wire even given the poor weather on Saturday. Simona Halep won the French open this week with her 4th try at winning a major. She won it the exact way she lost it last year. Up a set and a break last year, Halep lost the game, 2nd set and the match. This year, she was down a set, down a break in the 2nd set and down 40-0 to secure the break and she fought back to eventually break back, win the 2nd set and dominate the 3rd set. Great job. Courtney Force (NHRA Drag Racing-Top Fuel Funny Car) won her 6th pole of the year and her 4th race of the year from the pole today. First person to win 4 races from the pole position since her dad did it 16 years ago. She is currently leading the funny car points race.

The women are coming. Buckle up.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    generally like a lot of sports..not so much golf,mens nor womens...don't watch the wnba or the nba for the most part...womens tennis if I can catch it live....love track and field....I'd watch a lot more womens bb if there was a way to watch the European leagues or the Australian leagues...
    Sylean,

The Euroleague is off until August or September. I personally do not know how to watch a lot of the Euroleague games but I do know someone who does.

At Chicagoskytalk.net there is a member with the nick of P51D who lives in the State of Washington and is a huge Courtney Vandersloot fan since she was at Gonzaga. She watches most of CV's Euroleague games. I am sure if you PM'd her, she would be happy to tell you how you can watch the Euroleague games.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    There are a lot of so called "slow" sports that for the average person could be deemed very boring to watch. Generally, I find baseball, for the most part, not particularly enjoyable to watch. Yet, if I am in town, I make a point of going to a local baseball game. I probably have been to almost half of the MLB parks, but rarely will I turn on a baseball game on TV (other than the Mariners). If I do have a baseball game on it Is usually because their is nothing better on and I use it for background noise. I find softball (men's or women's, college or pro) much more enjoyable to watch than baseball. That being said, the UW Huskies vs Cal St Fullerton baseball game last night for a chance to go to the college world series was an extremely enjoyable game. Nice job Huskies. First trip to the college world series. Well Done.

For me personally, I find that if I have participated in the sport, I tend to have a much greater interest in watching that sport than if I have not ever played the sport. Maybe it is knowing the nuances and skill required for a particular sport which makes some sports enjoyable to watch despite that sport frequently being boring to many people. For example, I enjoy watching tennis and bowling (which I have played competitively or in leagues) but golf (which I have played only once or twice) I have very little interest. I can get into watching the last 2 or 3 holes if the score is close, but watching 18 holes is not going to happen despite knowing the skill required to compete at the PGA/LPGA level.

Particularly in today's need for instant gratification, many sports that are slower in action and/or lengthy in completion, are having a hard time with both attendance and TV ratings.

What sports, that many people would consider slow or boring to watch, do you find enjoyable and why?

ZagDad

As a father of two boys, I followed boys sports for years. Now I have three granddaughters that are heavy into sports and it has been great following them. This last month...youngest granddaughter, middle school track, competitive basketball and soccer (was in Yakima last weekend for a soccer tournament). Middle granddaughter, fast pitch softball (lettered as a FR this year) now summer basketball. And our oldest granddaughter... qualified for state finals in 3A track in 3 events as a SO. 400m, 4X400, and 4X200... First state track finals I have attended this year and was very impressed with the student athletes.
    As sports goes, I love watching kids compete.... through college. As for the pros... only the one that respect the sport.

Have watched the Lady Zags for 10 years and really enjoy watch great kids working hard and having fun.

Go Zags!!

well, I'm going to throw this out here....you have three grandtrs...I have one.....last week , two biological males, one who ran boys track the year before, won in girls track events back in Conneticutt...

are we seeing the end of girls sports?

Well, there is curling....and cornhole...

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    Well, there is curling....and cornhole...
    At least there is some strategy in curling. Cornhole, not so much. See hole, put beanbag in the hole.

ZagDad

If you believe that, you need to watch the national cornhole championships. You can stream on demand on comcast. That's like saying basketball has no strategy, see basket, put ball in basket

Quote Originally Posted by tummydoc View Post
    If you believe that, you need to watch the national cornhole championships. You can stream on demand on comcast. That's like saying basketball has no strategy, see basket, put ball in basket
    Really, I must have missed where defense is played in cornhole, necessitating various strategies by the offensive team to counter. But if defense is played in cornhole, sign me up, I'm all in.

ZagDad