Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 62

Thread: Anton Watson at the USA U-18 National Team Tryouts

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane South Side
    Posts
    17,097

    Default Anton Watson at the USA U-18 National Team Tryouts

    The final selections for the team are scheduled to be announced today. Hope our guy Anton makes the cut!

    Story from Inside the Kennel: https://247sports.com/college/gonzag...Team-118098340

    The past 12 months have seen 2019 Gonzaga commit, Anton Watson, blossom from a local star in Spokane, to one of the top 60 recruits in his class. Along the way, Watson has committed to his dream school, earned Washington 4A State POY, and won a State Championship on an undefeated team.

    All of this hard work and improvement has earned Watson numerous accolades along the way. However, his recent selection to the USA Basketball U-18 Trials, as well as a spot at the NBPA Top 100 camp, might be the most impressive yet.

    “Coach Few told me about a month ago that I was going to be selected,” the Gonzaga commit said. “He came by and we had a talk with him, my family, and my travel team coach, John Stockton. He told me that I was going to be selected for the team.”
    Pic from the USA U-18 website:


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    348

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    The final selections for the team are scheduled to be announced today. Hope our guy Anton makes the cut!

    Story from Inside the Kennel: https://247sports.com/college/gonzag...Team-118098340



    Pic from the USA U-18 website:

    Congratulations and good luck Anton!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane South Side
    Posts
    17,097

    Default

    No word yet, but here's some nice quick video:


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    553

    Default

    Here's a link to the camps' official measurements:

    https://twitter.com/Andrew__Slater/s...45151772364800

    Anton is 6'8" without shoes, 6'9.5" with shoes. 6'10.5" wingspan. 206 lbs. His standing reach is 8'9.5" with a max vertical of 33.5" and standing vertical of 28'5".

    Good to see he is a legitimate 6'8 already. Reasonable chance he can play both the 3 & 4 when he gets to Gonzaga. His verticals aren't the greatest - particularly at a camp like this - but solid nevertheless.

    Hoping he fared well overall in camp and makes the squad. Was planning to watch the gold medal game (probably CAN/US) and it'd be great to get a first hand look of him.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Tri-Cities
    Posts
    2,145

    Default

    He made the top 18 cut! Final 12 decided on June 7th

    https://www.usab.com/news-events/new...finalists.aspx
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

    ~ Desiderius Erasmus

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Laguna
    Posts
    7,215

    Default

    congrats to AW

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,594

    Default

    Quite an achievement. Precursor to McD?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Glad to hear of his height. Certainly think he can play some at the 4. He has big sturdy legs. Like a lot of high school kids he has an undeveloped upper body. I would guess he can easily play at 225.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Zag Country
    Posts
    3,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hogan View Post
    Glad to hear of his height. Certainly think he can play some at the 4. He has big sturdy legs. Like a lot of high school kids he has an undeveloped upper body. I would guess he can easily play at 225.

    The outdated height measurement for Anton is still on the roster. Currently eight forwards are listed including Kamaka Hepa.

    https://www.usab.com/mens/u18/roster.aspx
    Parlez-vous français?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,594

    Default

    Two from DeMatha.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    553

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Quite an achievement. Precursor to McD?
    It's possible but not sure he gets enough national exposure in Spokane. I suspect GPrep would have to enter some serious tourneys and truly contend for a Nationals spot for him to get consideration.

    And while he made the top-18, there are a large number of very highly ranked guys who didn't come to U.S. camp at all who will contend for MCD spots. (including virtual AA locks like Wiseman & Carey and foreign guys like Bassey & Achiuwa)

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,085

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OntZags View Post
    It's possible but not sure he gets enough national exposure in Spokane. I suspect GPrep would have to enter some serious tourneys and truly contend for a Nationals spot for him to get consideration.

    And while he made the top-18, there are a large number of very highly ranked guys who didn't come to U.S. camp at all who will contend for MCD spots. (including virtual AA locks like Wiseman & Carey and foreign guys like Bassey & Achiuwa)
    Spokane might not get the exposure, but G-Prep was ranked #18 at the end of their undefeated season and is definitely on the radar.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OntZags View Post
    It's possible but not sure he gets enough national exposure in Spokane. I suspect GPrep would have to enter some serious tourneys and truly contend for a Nationals spot for him to get consideration.

    And while he made the top-18, there are a large number of very highly ranked guys who didn't come to U.S. camp at all who will contend for MCD spots. (including virtual AA locks like Wiseman & Carey and foreign guys like Bassey & Achiuwa)
    These rankings are generally based on AAU seasons not high school seasons.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,463

    Default

    Wow.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane Valley
    Posts
    8,552

    Default

    Jim Meehan


    @SRJimm
    56s57 seconds ago
    More Jim Meehan Retweeted USA Basketball
    Gonzaga Prep's Anton Watson, GU class of 2019, made first cut to 18 but apparently not the final cut to 12. Impressive showing by talented 6-8 forward

    https://twitter.com/usabasketball/st...94526645030918

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Posts
    1,222

    Default

    Kameka Hepa made the cut.
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLOZag View Post
    Kameka Hepa made the cut.
    The unkindest cut of all.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,292

    Default

    Bring out the Bard.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    9,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLOZag View Post
    Kameka Hepa made the cut.
    Keep in mind, he's a year ahead of AW. KH is gonna be a freshman this year at Texas, AW is gonna be a senior in high school.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Bring out the Bard.
    And send in the clowns.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Zag Country
    Posts
    3,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Keep in mind, he's a year ahead of AW. KH is gonna be a freshman this year at Texas, AW is gonna be a senior in high school.
    Do we know Anton’s age? He looks young.
    Parlez-vous français?

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,920

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    Do we know Anton’s age? He looks young.
    Googled it for you. He turns 18 on October 6.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Googled it for you. He turns 18 on October 6.
    In case anybody was wondering, Ravet turned 18 at the end of February.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    In case anybody was wondering, Ravet turned 18 at the end of February.
    So he is a year older than everyone in his class. How did that happen? Athletic hold back?

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    17,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post
    So he is a year older than everyone in his class. How did that happen? Athletic hold back?
    So he’s going to graduate HS at 19? And will turn 20 during his freshman year?......that discounts performance to some extent. Watson is about right, but certainly no ingenue. Texas HS football stuff.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •