Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: A Few Good Men - TBT Tournament --1st Round in Spokane

A mugging.
    Our guys just don't have the horses.
    79-34 beginning of the 4th

79-34 at the end of 3Q. Gaels not letting their foot off the gas.

Quote Originally Posted by sideshow06 View Post
    79-34 at the end of 3Q. Gaels not letting their foot off the gas.
    That's embarrassing. I just hate that its Gaels alum putting the whoop on us in our home town. Wouldnt be suprised to see this team go very deep.
    Last edited by HenneZag; 06-30-2018 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Spelling.
    America's Team!

Quote Originally Posted by soccerdud View Post
    my takeaway, too. sok, if we had an all-star team from the last decade (like they effectively do), it would be a very different game.
    I'm not sure a guy on tonight's Gael Force starts on our actual "all-decade" team. If you're going 2007-2008 to 2017-2018, I trot out:

PG - Mathew Dellavedova
    SG - Patty Mills
    SF - Clint Steindl
    PF - Diamon Simpson
    C - Jock Landale

Some of our guys from tonight would make the all decade team, but how can there be a legitimate RB era SMC all star team without a single Aussie? There might be an argument that Hermanson our even Holt starts over Steindl at the 3, but other than that everyone on tonight's team is coming off the bench at best.

Gaels win 95-48

TBT

Verified account

@thetournament
    25m25 minutes ago
    More
    Gael Force showed they are a force to be reckoned with in #TBT2018, winning the @SpokaneHoopfest Regional Pod in convincing fashion over @AFGM_TBT. Next stop for the @saintmaryshoops alumni? The Super 16 in Atlanta!

Zags took a beating. Bouldin said in the paper he hasn’t played in a year. They are just shooting from the hip with the plays, etc.

That was embarrassing! It's Brown almost leaped frogged Samham and had a sweet dunk, but that was about it.

Maybe the Gaels felt at home playing in a high school gym.
    America's Team!

Quote Originally Posted by roundup View Post
    I'm not sure a guy on tonight's Gael Force starts on our actual "all-decade" team. If you're going 2007-2008 to 2017-2018, I trot out:

PG - Mathew Dellavedova
    SG - Patty Mills
    SF - Clint Steindl
    PF - Diamon Simpson
    C - Jock Landale

Some of our guys from tonight would make the all decade team, but how can there be a legitimate RB era SMC all star team without a single Aussie? There might be an argument that Hermanson our even Holt starts over Steindl at the 3, but other than that everyone on tonight's team is coming off the bench at best.
    i'll explain my thinking here because i don't think you addressed the point i was trying to make. if you put together a 10-player roster of gaels from the last decade ("all-star team"), ~7 of them would have been on this roster (which includes diamon simpson and emmett naar, and previously included brad waldow [since removed] -- i didn't know they weren't going to play). in my head, the breakdown went like this:

(landale)/omar/waldow
    diamon/rob jones (o'leary is found gold here)
    holt/hermanson (sorry, i don't think as highly of steindl as you do)
    (patty)/rahon/holt
    (delly)/mickey/naar

of that list, only the players in parenthesis weren't listed as on the team. that's only 3 guys of the top ~12 unavailable, with 2 of the top 3 at every position on the roster. i understand that since then waldow dropped out and diamon and naar weren't available this weekend, but still. compare that to the zags team where, honestly, only gray or bouldin would even be in consideration to make the roster if we were trying to put together our ideal team. so, yeah, i'll stand by my original post. and i think you guys have as good a chance as anyone to knock off overseas elite-- especially if diamon and naar come available. good luck.

ETA: it's fun to think, to be comparable the zags would have had at least two of: kelly, domas, karno, collins, and wiltjer. that would have changed things a lot.
    Last edited by soccerdud; 07-01-2018 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by roundup View Post

PG - Mathew Dellavedova
    SG - Patty Mills
    SF - Clint Steindl
    PF - Diamon Simpson
    C - Jock Landale

McConnell is better then Dellavedova. And it isn’t close. Mickey didn’t ever get a fair shake in the NBA. WCC player of the year and really helped kick starts this transformation

I have switched my TBT support to fellow WCC Brethren, Gael Force:

TBT Registration Link

If the Gaels go on to win, every fan showing support wins money as well, a win-win.

The next Super 16 round isn't played until July 28th in Atlanta. The Final 4 is August 2nd in Baltimore. All games will be televised on ESPN.

Quote Originally Posted by HenneZag View Post
    Maybe the Gaels felt at home playing in a high school gym.

Basketball Web Sites Listing

“ We tend to forget in times of reversal that life without risk is endless rehearsal.” -- Fran J. Polek

I agree that if you had 7 of the best 10 Zags of the last decade on your squad it would have been very different. I wholeheartedly agree McConnell is one of the most underrated former Gaels. Not sure stats support him being far better than Delly.

No doubt it would have been different, my point was just that this wasn’t our “first side” of alums so to speak. I love Micky, but to say he is far better than Delly is lunacy. A better shooter, definitely. But that’s about it. And they were both WCC POY.

Quote Originally Posted by AzZag View Post
    McConnell is better then Dellavedova. And it isn’t close. Mickey didn’t ever get a fair shake in the NBA. WCC player of the year and really helped kick starts this transformation
    That is just outrageously false.

Quote Originally Posted by Bouldin4Prez View Post
    That is just outrageously false.
    Not sure why it would be false as it is AzZag's opinion...I don't think opinions have to be factual.

McConnell beat the Zags at home on the final shot over a stretching Sacre's arms. Delly only beat BYU on a last second "3"...

Quote Originally Posted by AzZag View Post
    Not sure how anyone can say that with a straight face. Delly is far superior to McConnell and his continuous success in the NBA proves it. Sheesh.

I think Delly has 38 million reasons to testify that he is pretty darn good …..and a very rapid retirement of his number at St Mary's..to suggest that the coaches think so also...

I think there's a case to be made for McConnell being a better college PG than Delly, though overall I'd definitely agree that Delly is the better of the two.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V