Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brandon Clarke, one of 15 impact transfers

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Clarke is better than JWIII
    I think the jury is still out on that call; however, it will be interesting to watch him excel this season and hopefully he is a better FT shooter...

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    Thanks Dixie. Spy generally leans towards the outrageous.

I will say Clarke is a top 3 Gonzaga leaper. Guy gets up high and easily.
    How is that "outrageous"? Debatable, I will giver you, but "outrageous"?

Weren’t there some rumblings about Clarke being the best big man in the practices, ala KO in his red shirt year? It could have just been a rumor started on this board, but after seeing him at the Kraziness, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was true.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousZ View Post
    Weren’t there some rumblings about Clarke being the best big man in the practices, ala KO in his red shirt year? It could have just been a rumor started on this board, but after seeing him at the Kraziness, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was true.
    I would like to know the details of that designation, because he isn't a super muscular/big forward. If he's put on some muscle and strength, and was out-doing J3 in practice, he could be in line for a very big year, including some ways that some of us might not have expected.

Default Brandon Clarke, one of 15 impact transfers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by 2wiceright; 05-28-2018 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Posted by mistake
    "Blake Stepp had a reputation for saying little. That's probably because he had to clench his teeth and wince so much, playing through the pain."
    -Tales From the Gonzaga Hardwood

More in response to your overall collection of statements. Every new player is the best ever. Every recruit is unbelievable. Etc etc etc

More in response to your overall collection of statements. Every new player is the best ever. Every recruit is unbelievable. Etc etc etc
    Oh OK, fair enough. Yes I usually make outrageous statements but Brandon Clarke being better than JW3 is the rare instance where I did not.

The difference between outrageous and debatable is that outrageous is not debatable....

Oh OK, fair enough. Yes I usually make outrageous statements but Brandon Clarke being better than JW3 is the rare instance where I did not.
    We’ll see. I’m afraid some seriously undervalued JWIII. The guy was about as consistent a high level player we’ve had.

We’ll see. I’m afraid some seriously undervalued JWIII. The guy was about as consistent a high level player we’ve had.
    Let's not forget that J3 was the MOP in the West Regional in 2017, before we anoint Brandon as the next GOAT.

I think you're actually over valuing him. As awesome as he was, he was like a deer in headlights when he was doubled and he was a bit robotic and stiff when stuck under the rim and his free throw shooting was utterly atrocious, so much so that Few began to sub him out at enfd of game situations so team wouldn't employ "Hack a III". . He was awesome and I loved his heart, hustle and demeanor, but I think you're creating an image of him in your mind that doesn't match reality and that doesn't mean that Clarke won't be better.

Prediction:

Clarke will be regarded as the most productive and valuable player on the team. WCC Newcomer of the Year and all WCC.
    I miss Mike Hart

I can't really say who is better. I haven't seen Cook, I mean Clarke play enough. I've seen JWIII a lot and he was one of the greatest power forwards who ever played at Gonzaga. He was a big part of helping the Zags reach the Final Four and then the National Championship game. To me, JWIII was one of the toughest Zags ever, and there have been a lot of them. And he had a beautiful hook shot. And yes, MVP of the West Regional in 2017. I would have loved to see how far last year's team could of have gone if Tillie had not gotten hurt and had to sit out against Florida St.

Yes! This is a thread about Clarke, so I'll focus on that now. He's very good. He was MVP, in the conference he played in, his Sophomore year. That's a great thing to have on your resume. My impressions of him when I watched a few of his videos is that he's really athletic. And yes, he can jump, and can dunk with great passion. Not a good outside shooter. A winner. Sounds like JWIII doesn't it. I am really excited, and can hardly wait to watch him play in a Zag uniform. I don't think we could have asked for a better player to fill the hole that JWII left when he graduated.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I can't really say who is better. I haven't seen Cook, I mean Clarke play enough. I've seen JWIII a lot and he was one of the greatest power forwards who ever played at Gonzaga. He was a big part of helping the Zags reach the Final Four and then the National Championship game. To me, JWIII was one of the toughest Zags ever, and there have been a lot of them. And he had a beautiful hook shot. And yes, MVP of the West Regional in 2017. I would have loved to see how far last year's team could of have gone if Tillie had not gotten hurt and had to sit out against Florida St.

Yes! This is a thread about Clarke, so I'll focus on that now. He's very good. He was MVP, in the conference he played in, his Sophomore year. That's a great thing to have on your resume. My impressions of him when I watched a few of his videos is that he's really athletic. And yes, he can jump, and can dunk with great passion. Not a good outside shooter. A winner. Sounds like JWIII doesn't it. I am really excited, and can hardly wait to watch him play in a Zag uniform. I don't think we could have asked for a better player to fill the hole that JWII left when he graduated.
    Good post. JWIII will go down as one of the greats in Zags history. Small correction, Clarke was first team all MWC not the MVP.

I think you're actually over valuing him. As awesome as he was, he was like a deer in headlights when he was doubled and he was a bit robotic and stiff when stuck under the rim and his free throw shooting was utterly atrocious, so much so that Few began to sub him out at enfd of game situations so team wouldn't employ "Hack a III". . He was awesome and I loved his heart, hustle and demeanor, but I think you're creating an image of him in your mind that doesn't match reality and that doesn't mean that Clarke won't be better.
    Never said Clarke wouldn’t be better, just said JWIII seems to be highly undervalued. Until I see Clarke play a meaningful game at GU I’ll refrain from anointing him the next great Zag. It’s easy to make those kinds of claims because if you actually get it right you think you’re a genius. If you’re wrong nobody cares.

In all honesty spy, have you seen him play a full game? More than one full game?

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    Prediction:

Clarke will be regarded as the most productive and valuable player on the team. WCC Newcomer of the Year and all WCC.
    The second sentence is possible. If he surpasses Perkins, Norvell, Rui and even Tillie, I’ll be shocked.

JIII was friggin strong in heart body and mind but I’m with spy on this one.

Is reading comprehension not a thing anymore? Or is it people just don’t take the time and jump to their own conclusions? Go back and read what I wrote and then decide if your comments match up with mine. Nowhere did I say he wouldn’t be better. I said we’ll see. I then say JWIII is being undervalued as a Zag. Nothing more, nothing less. You comment with how I’m overvaluing him. What is it I’m overvaluing when I never said what it was I was valuing in the first place?!

You ask any coach or teammate that has played with JWIII to name one player they’d go to war with and Mr. Williams will be the response 10 out of 10 times. He always showed up no matter if he was hurt (played his sophomore season at Missouri with a partially torn meniscus and still led team in ppg and rpg) or tired (he started all but 1 game in his collegiate career) and gave 110% effort. We haven’t even touched on his talent. He was a terrific low post defender despite being undersized. He also averaged 12ppg and 7.3rpg while shooting 58% from the field during his GU career. When another player comes along and wins 69 games in 2 years at Gonzaga and plays in a national championship and sweet 16 then we can talk. Did he have weaknesses? Of course but which player doesn’t? Clarke is a perfect player? Let’s have this conversation 2 years from now. I hope Clarke lives up to yours and others unreasonable expectations. Even if he doesn’t, I won’t denigrate his career here the second he’s gone.

The second sentence is possible. If he surpasses Perkins, Norvell, Rui and even Tillie, I’ll be shocked.
    I guess it is possible that the fore mentioned players could be MVP of the MWC as a sophomore.
    I miss Mike Hart

Never said Clarke wouldn’t be better, just said JWIII seems to be highly undervalued. Until I see Clarke play a meaningful game at GU I’ll refrain from anointing him the next great Zag. It’s easy to make those kinds of claims because if you actually get it right you think you’re a genius. If you’re wrong nobody cares.

In all honesty spy, have you seen him play a full game? More than one full game?
    I think that I've proven time and again with my absurd posts that a genius I will never be mistaken for. I think one of the things that's different about me (among a long list) is that I not could care less what people think about me as evidenced by the nonsense that I write. I'm just some anonymous, irrelevant dork on a message board, what i write has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on what takes place on the actual court; and I'm quite content with that.

Nope, I've never seen a full SJSU game with Clarke, just highlights, clips and stats and from those things I've concluded that Clarke is better than JWIII. I could be wrong though, don't really care.

Because that all makes sense...smh

I forget we live in a society now where people just say and do whatever they want without repercussions. Please continue on with the great work you do on this board spy.

Intrigued to see how Clarke will fit, what defensive schemes Few and co. go to this year as the team again evolves. lots of adjustments last year with the personnel changes tho still with an emphasis on trying to take away catch and shoot 3s, especially after the Florida game

J3 was unique defensively, could guard on the ball all 5, perimeter and post, off the dribble, great help side defender too, point of attack rebounder or weakside, tough guy too, so much stuff. that's just defensively

With Clarke's tool kit, which is awesome but maybe a little different (what kind of perimeter defender is he? I don't know he's really been asked to prove it so much, but idk), psyched to see how Brandon fits and how Few and co. adjust things to his strengths so he can do his things and go off

Quote Originally Posted by MickMick View Post
    I guess it is possible that the fore mentioned players could be MVP of the MWC as a sophomore.
    Let me start by reiterating I'm very excited to have Clarke on the team. I think he will be very good and a big time contributor. That being said...

Clarke was not the MVP of the Mountain West Conference. He was first team all league his sophomore season averaging 17ppg and 8rpg. While that is very impressive, he did so on a 4-26 team. To say he was by far the best player on that team is an understatement. Norvell, Rui and Tillie all averaged double digit scoring on a top 10 nationally ranked team this past season as "sophomores". I think it's safe to say any one of them would've been the best player on that SJSU squad and most likely first team players in the conference as well.

Let me start by reiterating I'm very excited to have Clarke on the team. I think he will be very good and a big time contributor. That being said...

Clarke was not the MVP of the Mountain West Conference. He was first team all league his sophomore season averaging 17ppg and 8rpg. While that is very impressive, he did so on a 4-26 team. To say he was by far the best player on that team is an understatement. Norvell, Rui and Tillie all averaged double digit scoring on a top 10 nationally ranked team this past season as "sophomores". I think it's safe to say any one of them would've been the best player on that SJSU squad and most likely first team players in the conference as well.
    I completely agree that our 3 sophomores would of done the same on SJSU. What I really like about BC is his defense, blocks (2.6 per game) and rebounds (8.9 per game) all day long. I saw him play when they played BSU he had 14 rebounds and 5 blocks, when they played BSU at SJSU he had 26 points (not great on the boards that game. I think he is going to be a great addition to an already solid team. I can't wait to see him play!

Not that is really matters, but SJSU was 4-26 last year and Brandon Clarke was already at Gonzaga, they had 14 wins his last year there.

Didn't see any SJS games while Brandon was there cg, but have to imagine that he got his #'s despite getting more than his share of attention from the opponent's. Make's it a bit more impressive to me.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.