• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZagDad84
    Zag for Life
    • Dec 2014

3 Point Line Distance

In the NCAA, the current distance for the 3 point line for the ladies is 20'- 9". The WNBA moved their 3 point line to match the international 3 point line in 2012 to the current distance of 22'- 1.75".

The NCAA is looking at moving the ladies 3 point line back to the international distance of 22'- 1.75" for the exhibition games of the 2018-2019 season.

According to the NCAA, for the 2017-2018 season, D-1 teams averaged 18.77 3 point shots per game making an average of 6 shots per game for an average of approximately 32%.

“The game is developing, and we are always interested in what that would do for spacing and flow of the game,” said Brad Duckworth, chair of the rules committee and director of athletics at Wisconsin-Stevens Point. “We believe that it will not diminish 3-point field goal attempts and that our women are capable of adjusting to that distance.”
    Should the NCAA women's BB 3 point line be moved back to 22'- 1.75" to match the WNBA and International lines, be kept at the current distance of 20'- 9" or should the NCAA move the 3 point line in closer than 20'- 9" and if so to what distance?

O'k members of the ladies board, What say you??

ZagDad
  • sylean
    Zag for Life
    • Mar 2010

are the men going to lengthen their 3 pointers too?...

what I like in bb is a strong inside game and also short 2 pointers as well as accurate passing for easy layups under the basket....3 pointers are great when you can get them....but too many games depend on it....

I think in general when they changed the 3 second rule it affected the inside game....(rule that you had to have both feet outside the line).

so what does the NCAA want?.

doesn't it seem like the women's game is used to test out new rules before TPTB make them for the men?....

Comment

• ZagDad84
      Zag for Life
      • Dec 2014

I do not know if the Mbb is considering changing the 3 point line distance. I also don't think the Mbb have anything to do with what the Wbb may choose to do. The NCAA changed the Wbb to 4 quarters from 2 halves to match the WNBA despite the Mbb staying with 2 halves.

so what does the NCAA want?.
      I would guess that the NCAA is for any change which would create more interest in the college Wbb game. I personally don't think moving the 3 point line will generate any more interest in the Wbb's game. There is already a big disparity in talent between the top 7-10 teams and the teams ranked 10-25th with an equal or bigger gap between the top 10-25 teams and the teams ranked 25-50th. With a good sharpshooter, a team which would normally have no chance would always have a puncher's chance. Moving the 3 point line back, would likely reduce the impact of the 3 point shot on most games. making it more likely the favored team would win.

That being said, I see absolutely no reason for the NCAA to have a 3 point line that differs from international play in both the Mbb and the Wbb. This 3 point line is used in international competitions (U-17, U-19, world championships, Olympics, etc.) as well as in international leagues. Having the premier training ground for US athletes for these competitions using an artificially short 3 point line serves no purpose. Having a 3 point sharpshooter that is great at 20'- 9" may not be near as effective at 22'- 1.75".

I do understand the impact it could have on the NCAA game, but the sooner we match the international 3 point line, the better evaluations we will have of the college players. IMO.

ZagDad

Comment

• SkipZag
        Zag for Life
        • Nov 2015

What does the mighty Geno think?

He was for the 4 quarters and that’s what we ended up with.
        I miss the one and one that was taken away from the women’s game with the new rules that came with the 4 quarters.

The 3 point line really can be at any distance... although, the harder the shot might bring the game back inside... which might bring back running good plays.

Go Zags!!

Comment

• ZagDad84
          Zag for Life
          • Dec 2014

Just saw this announcement on ESPN.

The ACC wants the NCAA to make the following changes to Mbb:

- Expand the NCAA tournament to 72 teams from 68 teams

- Widen the lane

- Move the 3pt line back

- After an offensive rebound, reset the shot clock to 20 seconds instead of 30.

ZagDad

Comment

Working...
          X