Thread: Dead Week

Default Dead Week

Probably going to be very slow around here for the next week.

In Accordance with NCAA requirements, for the time period May 7 - May 14, the coaches are not permitted to:

Call, text, direct message, phone call, mail, e-mail or host campus visits.

According to CLF's twitter, she said they would be back May 14 and we should be ready.

Great, another week of speculation without any news.

Thanks coach,

ZagDad

what kind of news are you expecting?....we know we have Virjoghe and the Truongs for 2019....I think we always need posts because we've been pretty good at recruiting guards IMO of course...I would love to be surprised....

btw, was reading on the WSU board...don't remember which one...but one guy was speculating that in June, the NCAA committee is going to decide on the transfer rule and this poster thinks they might allow the transfer to play right away...it would help if we could play Virjoghe this year...

but I don't know how I feel about this rule....I'm still kind of miffed about JB leaving early....imagine the big schools like ND/Conn, etc could swipe away players easily....I hope the NCAA thinks about the havoc this might cause with the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer...the poster over there suggested that the NCAA should allow transfers but the recipient of the player looses a scholly for the following yr plus the one they give to the new player..

I share your concern sylean. As many transfers as we're seeing now, I think there would be even more if all transfers had immediate eligibility. Also, yeah, I could see lower level P5 schools and non P5 schools becoming more or less farm systems for the bigger programs.

Why I also agree with your concerns, I don't know how negatively it would impact the Lady Zags. While we have had P6 program students transfer into GU and we have had lower division players transfer into the GU program and yes, we have had athletes leave to lower division programs (Kacie Bosch) or other non-P6 D-1 programs (Zhane), but other than losing a student who reneges on her LOI or simply leaves Gonzaga, I personally cannot think of any Lady Zag who transferred to a P6 program after being in the Gonzaga program.

The student who selects a P-6 school initially and quickly finds out that they are a bench warmer or are limited in playing time (think Eaton at BYU) may quickly re-evaluate their recruiting selection and may consider Gonzaga. The students that are going to the top 15 schools or so (like UConn, ND, Louisville, Texas A&M, Miss. State, Oklahoma, Texas, Oregon, Oregon State, etc.) are athletes that GU likely has not chance at getting in any case. I think that GU can successfully recruit against much of the Pac-12, but trying to get ladies to come to the NW from the Mid-West, East Coast or Southeast, if the schools in their immediate vicinity are offering scholarships, is very difficult.

I would put the lady zags in about the same position as the GU Mbb were about 20 years ago in recruiting. Our best teams are when we get transfers from P-6 teams. Counting on our recruiting talents (without transfers) has been good enough to win the WCC but has generally not proven to be successful in the NCAA tournament (the Vandersloot, Standish, Bowman, years excluded). For the upcoming year, we have LF who is from BC as our only foreign born player. No Sunny, No Emma, No Grace, etc. It appears that we have abandoned the foreign market and are trying to put more emphasis on US born talent. That is great if you can get good enough talent. If you can't beat the P-6 schools heads up in recruiting then you have to count on transfers or foreign born players. This year is the first year that CLF will have no players recruited by KG on the team. We will now see how good her recruiting has been over the past four years and if she has recruited the talent to take this team forward.

ZagDad

foreign players can fill a lot of needs....already WSU has two foreign players coming, and if they can recruit to eastern Washington, so should we..Sunny was an absolute fantastic player and I'd like to see more of her kind...Grace had that potential but I still don't know what exactly happened there...we've been lucky to have Zag type players come play here.....

CLF tweeted about the "dead period" and then said to "be prepared"....what we're we supposed to be prepared for?...I've seen no news whatsoever....