Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Brandon Williams

Default Brandon Williams

Can we just have a Brandon Williams thread with his visit being this week? The weather is going to be spectacular. Right around 75-80 degrees. Keeping fingers crossed!

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    Can we just have a Brandon Williams thread with his visit being this week? The weather is going to be spectacular. Right around 75-80 degrees. Keeping fingers crossed!
    The raging waters of the Spokane River should be pretty impressive too - as will the new Volkar Center. I have a good feeling about BW's visit.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Agreed. Separate the wheat from the chaff. Brandon seems like a guy who could probably commit.

Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    Agreed. Separate the wheat from the chaff. Brandon seems like a guy who could probably commit.
    Remember when all we wanted was an official visit? When if we could get him here we had a punchers chance?

Well he's going to be here, and we are his last visit. That used to be huge. Still is?

Gotta think he's very aware of perks recent surgery and that he has a very good shot of being the opening day starting point guard due to Josh's recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Gotta think he's very aware of perks recent surgery and that he has a very good shot of being the opening day starting point guard due to Josh's recovery.
    I believe he’ll be the opening day starting point guard whether or not Perkins is ready to go. Or at least as that Goss-Perkins combo from a couple years ago. Again, this kid is high high major.

I believe he’ll be the opening day starting point guard whether or not Perkins is ready to go. Or at least as that Goss-Perkins combo from a couple years ago. Again, this kid is high high major.
    Moreover, the starting PG on a top 5 team (should he commit). No other team in the hunt even comes close.

When does he get to Spokane, Friday?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Moreover, the starting PG on a top 5 team (should he commit). No other team in the hunt even comes close.
    It’s really the ideal situation. He’ll be protect this year by veteran players and he wont be asked to do too much. The team would be his completely the year after, and he’ll have plenty of talent to play with to showcase his abilities. If he goes to Oregon, the players who are trying to get him there might not even be there the next year, and this year is a coin flip when it comes to whether or not Oregon puts it all together.

Mark, Tommy, the staff, Thayne and the Administration will do their best to convey the essence of what it's like to be a part of the Gonzaga program ... the Gonzaga community ... the Gonzaga family.

And speaking of "family" ... the Pontiff (Angelo Roncalli) summed up the how/why of Gonzaga's "family" atmosphere with these comments .... with the link below.

Coach Giacoletti expanded on the community aspect at Gonzaga when he spoke on Monday.

He mentioned that there was a fusion of Fr. Spitzer's vision for GU and Mark Few's vision for GU basketball that has created the unique situation at GU.

He also talked about the family atmosphere of the coaching staff and team. He said that every school's coaching staff will tell you that their program is a family. For the most part it's "BS" he observed. He said the only other situation he's seen like Gonzaga is Duke's. He mentioned a couple of major schools who represent themselves as "family," but said that under the surface they're pretty dysfunctional. Coach G said he's been part of 9 different college coaching staffs, and of them, GU is unique in its approach, its individuals and its continuity.
    http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...145#post466145

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    To me, this is our "closing argument." Time will tell what Arizona's ultimate fate will be off the court, 'on" the court next year will be a re-building project like no other, coach's real focus is anyone's guess, but it's anything but a typical "Arizona" team, not the team he dreamed of joining.

No one can say choosing the University of Oregon is a 'bad choice' in any context, solid, stable, academics sound, but he will be one among many "stars" all learning the game, lots of growing pains and lots of unknowns, how is his development impacted by possible slow learners, etc?

Here, he walks into a line up where he can lean on the others to soak up a few of his growing pains, Josh will give him a gentle shove toward his guy on defense, Rui and Tillie will be exactly where coach says they'll be, and if he messes up a set, Norvelle is more than happy to bury a 22 footer with the shot clock buzzing. It is a top 5 team without him, and it has an opening perfect for him. Join that team, and feel the "elite" team buzz from day 1, go to Maui and take it to Duke, go to Chapel Hill and avenge Nigel. But, most importantly, benefit in personal development by relying on upperclassmen surrounding him, win the whole thing, first time ever.

If we show him the campus, the family feel, the development people who make sure classes/study time is organized to the minute, meets all the guys who are planning on doing a lot of "winning" next year, and he still doesn't commit, then I think everyone's better off with him following his instincts.

I have seen nothing here to indicate we don't have a very real shot.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    To me, this is our "closing argument." Time will tell what Arizona's ultimate fate will be off the court, 'on" the court next year will be a re-building project like no other, coach's real focus is anyone's guess, but it's anything but a typical "Arizona" team, not the team he dreamed of joining.

No one can say choosing the University of Oregon is a 'bad choice' in any context, solid, stable, academics sound, but he will be one among many "stars" all learning the game, lots of growing pains and lots of unknowns, how is his development impacted by possible slow learners, etc?

Here, he walks into a line up where he can lean on the others to soak up a few of his growing pains, Josh will give him a gentle shove toward his guy on defense, Rui and Tillie will be exactly where coach says they'll be, and if he messes up a set, Norvelle is more than happy to bury a 22 footer with the shot clock buzzing. It is a top 5 team without him, and it has an opening perfect for him. Join that team, and feel the "elite" team buzz from day 1, go to Maui and take it to Duke, go to Chapel Hill and avenge Nigel. But, most importantly, benefit in personal development by relying on upperclassmen surrounding him, win the whole thing, first time ever.

If we show him the campus, the family feel, the development people who make sure classes/study time is organized to the minute, meets all the guys who are planning on doing a lot of "winning" next year, and he still doesn't commit, then I think everyone's better off with him following his instincts.

Spot on Dixie ---- well stated.

Go Zags!
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post

This gave me chills. That's a compelling closing argument, councillor.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Good post Dixie. It was in the spirit of what I was thinking but was put much more eloquently.

I keep saying this, but I hope that charter is right there at the airport for Brandon to see. That is one "amenity" that Gonzaga has over every Pac 12 school.

I asked earlier in this thread but no one answered; when does His visit start? Thank you

I asked earlier in this thread but no one answered; when does His visit start? Thank you
    Twitter says the 28th but not sure if he’s just stating that as the weekend of or if it’s truly Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    I keep saying this, but I hope that charter is right there at the airport for Brandon to see. That is one "amenity" that Gonzaga has over every Pac 12 school.
    Would be awesome if we could just pick him up in it. We pay for the flight on an official visit anyway, right?

Twitter says the 28th but not sure if he’s just stating that as the weekend of or if it’s truly Sunday.
    that's weird if it's just one day. He spent the entire weekend in Eugene

April 28th is a Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by packlite View Post
    April 28th is a Saturday
    Calendars are hard.

Im pretty sure everyone in the Pac 12 flys a private charter just like Gonzaga. I know Colorado does and they are at the bottom of he barrel when it come to spending money on basketball in Pac 12.
    The days where major colleges had to schlep through airports are pretty much over

Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post
    Im pretty sure everyone in the Pac 12 flys a private charter just like Gonzaga. I know Colorado does and they are at the bottom of he barrel when it come to spending money on basketball in Pac 12.
    The days where major colleges had to schlep through airports are pretty much over
    As far as ive understood, the PAC 12 does not allow their members to fly charter.

Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsmoove View Post
    As far as ive understood, the PAC 12 does not allow their members to fly charter.
    Since 2012, nearly every Pac-12 school now flies charter flights. They use Alaskan/Horizon, Allegiant, Private Groups, etc.

Very expensive though, and often counts for over 10% of their budget.

Often times, Pac-12 schools share charter flights, so Gonzaga does have this over them.

(when the Pac-12 signed their media rights deal for over $3 billion, this was one of the perks...)
    "Rob plays with a high level of intensity when it's time, has a good time when it's not ... I love his enthusiasm and his zest for life. He picks us all up when he enters the gym."

-- Coach Few

that's weird if it's just one day. He spent the entire weekend in Eugene
    Just a quick visit to pick out his room at DeSmet

Go Zags!
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”