Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
Results 276 to 300 of 669

Thread: Brandon Williams

  1. #276
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    I like our chances, I just wish Mom had made the trip. No doubt his stepfather was impressed...I hesitate to use the word, "sold". You get the parents on campus, it adds another dimension, there's just that magic that exists at 509 Boone Ave.
    Why are you assuming Mom wasn’t there? Article referred to whole family.

  2. #277
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12,454

    Default

    I know exactly what you mean by that magic. Every time I go back to GU feel it. It's a very strong spiritual feeling while walking around the campus with either my sons or grandsons. And then you read the inscription on the wall of the news Student Union Bldg. Wow! And then you run into a few students and they look at you and get eye contact and then smile and say hi to you as if they know you.....It's just incredible.

    I am blessed to be a part of this great University.

    Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  3. #278
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12,454

    Default

    Regarding Brandon Williams. I think back to the last great point guard that Mark Few went after, Josh Perkins. I remember the recruiting wars well. I followed them closely at the time. I didn't think Gonzaga had a good chance to get him at the time, but when He signed with us, I felt about as high as I ever have regarding recruiting someone. The same feeling for Wiltjer but in a much different way. And look what has happened to Josh firts. I Final 4, an Elite 8 and a Sweet 16. And he played in a National Championship game. And he will now lead perhaps the best Gonzaga team of All-time. And Brandon can be a part of making this the best team ever. And he is just a freshman. The door is waiting for you Brandon. It's open. Just walk through it and you will suddenly begin a GREAT journey. As the dog in the Nike commercial once said, "Just do it!"

    Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  4. #279
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12,454

    Default

    Let's not forget that Greg Foster and Filip Petrusev will also be here
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  5. #280
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zags_Fanatic View Post
    Everyone once in awhile I have to pinch myself and think back on how far this program has come. We are 20 years into this run and Gonzaga and has built itself into a national powerhouse that can honestly tout the family atmosphere and Zag identity but now also has the facilities, staff, schedule, history and budget to compete head-to-head with programs like Arizona and Oregon.

    I can't wait to see what the next 20 years will bring, but I suspect it will include a couple of national titles. Now I just hope that Williams will be part of the first.
    Quote Originally Posted by TimberZag View Post
    He wrote this below his latest Instagram post (same as twitter):

    thebwill2May 5th @ballislife ... A real decision is measured by the fact that you've taken a new action. If there's no action, you haven't truly decided.



    Is that the same as...."if you choose not to decide you still have made a choice"?

  6. #281
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Chattaroy (20 mi N of GU)
    Posts
    3,746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Goodness, if that doesn’t convince the young man then god bless him. Just makes me prouder than ever to hear that testimony from BW’s dad. No spin there. It’s from the heart. Congrats to MF and the GU BB community for rolling out the carpet so transparently. If he comes, great. If not, so be it. In my mind GU already had its finest hour.
    Well, I still have a couple more pages of posts to read but thought I'd give a BIG thumbs up to you Jazz for this post Hits the nail on the head for me. GU is a class act. Not that other schools are not as well. I sure hope more are than I tend to think there are. If that is the case I feel for the families that have to make choices like the Williams family will be making. I'd hate to end up in a situation where I felt I'd made a lesser choice on down the road. I really admire how GU/Few/Tommy, etc. go about things - not forgetting the guys on the team too. Special bunch all around!

  7. #282
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Napa, CA
    Posts
    4,535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    If he chooses Oregon or Zona... please people... don't come on here and say he was never Zag material.

    He is and the Zags pulled out all the stops. From what I read out of that article... If anything, GU may have a really good shot at him and they possibly swayed an existing P12 lean to an honest to goodness really tough decision/GU lean.
    1000 times this. So tired of seeing this regarding some recruits.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

  8. #283
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    795

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    1000 times this. So tired of seeing this regarding some recruits.
    I don’t see the problem with concluding he’s not Zag material if he commits elsewhere. That’s not saying he is talented enough, but when we sell him on system and development, and the other teams sell him on women, weather, and playing with his boys, if he picks the latter, then he’s not Zags material.

  9. #284
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Napa, CA
    Posts
    4,535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    I don’t see the problem with concluding he’s not Zag material if he commits elsewhere. That’s not saying he is talented enough, but when we sell him on system and development, and the other teams sell him on women, weather, and playing with his boys, if he picks the latter, then he’s not Zags material.
    Given that we don't know what he's been sold on at other places, and knowing that there are other quality universities besides our own, it seems awfully presumptuous of us to conclude that a recruit isn't "Zag material" simply because he chooses another university without actually knowing the reasons for his choice.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

  10. #285
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    795

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    Given that we don't know what he's been sold on at other places, and knowing that there are other quality universities besides our own, it seems awfully presumptuous of us to conclude that a recruit isn't "Zag material" simply because he chooses another university without actually knowing the reasons for his choice.
    Read the articles from Oregon’s and Arizona’s own sources, and there’s plenty to see about how Altman and Miller sold the school, not to mention his own step father’s comments. Would it stand in court? No, but there’s plenty enough information to surmise what the programs’ Various pitches were.

  11. #286
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    17,250 miles East of Spokane
    Posts
    17,983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    I don’t see the problem with concluding he’s not Zag material if he commits elsewhere. That’s not saying he is talented enough, but when we sell him on system and development, and the other teams sell him on women, weather, and playing with his boys, if he picks the latter, then he’s not Zags material.
    That’s a terrible assumption to make. I’m going to guess that you have no idea what the recruiting process entails. These young men and women get courted at each school When they go on these visits. It’s a tough decision to make.
    If he chooses Arizona, maybe because he feels loyal to the school he first committed to?
    If he chooses Oregon, maybe it’s because he has friends on the team?
    Maybe it’s academics? Or basketball future? Or proximity to home? Or dozens of other things?

    Coach Few and his staff and players have already designated this kid as “Zag material” by wanting him at Gonzaga. Fact!

  12. #287
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Idaho
    Posts
    850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    Given that we don't know what he's been sold on at other places, and knowing that there are other quality universities besides our own, it seems awfully presumptuous of us to conclude that a recruit isn't "Zag material" simply because he chooses another university without actually knowing the reasons for his choice.
    Couldn't have said it better, webspinnre!!! Thanks..
    "Blake Stepp had a reputation for saying little. That's probably because he had to clench his teeth and wince so much, playing through the pain."
    -Tales From the Gonzaga Hardwood

  13. #288
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    795

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    That’s a terrible assumption to make. I’m going to guess that you have no idea what the recruiting process entails. These young men and women get courted at each school When they go on these visits. It’s a tough decision to make.
    If he chooses Arizona, maybe because he feels loyal to the school he first committed to?
    If he chooses Oregon, maybe it’s because he has friends on the team?
    Maybe it’s academics? Or basketball future? Or proximity to home? Or dozens of other things?

    Coach Few and his staff and players have already designated this kid as “Zag material” by wanting him at Gonzaga. Fact!
    Was Taeshon Cherry designated Zag material because Few pursued him? Because he sure picked the flavor of the month, both times picking schools with no discernible system, and with great weather and coeds.

    Feels to me Few’s recruiting process is more putting the team out on the table and letting the recruit decide if he wants to buy into a challenging but rewarding system.

  14. #289
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Napa, CA
    Posts
    4,535

    Default

    So, basically any recruit that we offer that doesn't choose us isn't "Zag material"? That's ridiculous, given the number of offers we give out, relative to the number who end up committing.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

  15. #290
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    795

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    So, basically any recruit that we offer that doesn't choose us isn't "Zag material"? That's ridiculous, given the number of offers we give out, relative to the number who end up committing.
    Well, yes. It is a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

    We can all agree on this; we all hope Brandon Williams commits to Gonzaga. And it’s late. And a week night. Rest well and Go Zags.

  16. #291
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,062

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagnetitForce View Post
    Is that the same as...."if you choose not to decide you still have made a choice"?

    "You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill. I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose freewill."

    BW sounds like a steady young man. No rash decisions. Think things through. Kind of young man you want as your point guard running your offense.

  17. #292
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    other teams sell him on women, weather, and playing with his boys.
    That's just inane. All 3 are trying to sell him the same thing. That is that they are the best place to develop his basketball skills (and mentality) to prepare for a pro career.

    The Zags have the best chance of making a deep run next year, and that gives him the best chance to showcase himself in March. The Ducks will feature a lot of youth in key roles, and have a high upside but it's a much iffier deal as to how good they'll wind up being. You don't know what freshmen will do till they do it. But it's also a fact that while the Zags have put a lot of their recent bigs in the NBA, the Ducks have perimeters Young, Brooks, and Dorsey in the NBA in the last few years. And the three stars from last yr's final 4 team came to Eugene to pitch the program on his visit.

    So he has a lot to consider. He doesn't sound like a kid who will make a choice based on anything superfluous or trivial. He's gonna go where he believes is best for his game and development.

  18. #293
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    86

    Default

    He’s a HS kid (giving me anxiety, but still) a TEENAGER. Probably nervous, needs to find the right fit! Just wants to play ball. Hoping he chooses us but with or without him we will make a run. Hoping he chooses us, but if not? His loss. I’m sure if he doesn’t choose to be a Zag, he will regret it come tournament time.

  19. #294
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    1,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    That's just inane.
    you're being charitable.

  20. #295
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,527

    Default Good interview

    I like the reasons he chose Crespi High School:

    https://youtu.be/oZRY42x08LE

    "Academics, Brotherhood, community, life-long relationships..."

    Sound familiar?

    Then again, Brandon's Parents picked his HS, it will be Brandon's decision for College.

    Besides the sun-less wkend, it sounds like he had a great visit. Love that we showed him the communal aspect of attending GU. As Coach Giac said, no other school compares on a "familiail" level like GU.

    That said, if I'm being honest, I feel BWill re-commits to Arizona.

    No one realizes how convincing a desperate Sweat Miller can be...ever heard him in post game pressors? Always want to give him a hug, victim with a side of friendly charisma.

    According to Brandon's step dad Zona said need him to play 35 mpg, be the face of Arizona next season ala Ayton last year, & put the ball in his hands. Their 2018 recruiting is bleak by their standards as well, although they have a couple Top 50 PG's on the roster who didn't play last season, namely a 4 star 6'7" PG who is gunning for PT.

    Anyway, it was Williams' 'childhood dream' to be a Wildcat. Tough to sway that alone...

    As another poster mentioned, if this was his parents decision, Gonzaga would be a slam dunk. Same reason they chose Crespi for him.

  21. #296
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oklafriggenhoma
    Posts
    7,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Goodness, if that doesn’t convince the young man then god bless him. Just makes me prouder than ever to hear that testimony from BW’s dad. No spin there. It’s from the heart. Congrats to MF and the GU BB community for rolling out the carpet so transparently. If he comes, great. If not, so be it. In my mind GU already had its finest hour.
    Kinda stands in sharp contrast to say the way Louisville used to do it eh?
    Birddog

    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

  22. #297
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    I’m going out on the limb and reversing myself from my earlier belief that he was headed to Arizona amd now strongly believe he chooses Gonzaga on May 5th. Gonzaga over Arizona with Orgeron in third.
    When did the LSU's football coach Ed Orgeron come into the picture

  23. #298
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    So, basically any recruit that we offer that doesn't choose us isn't "Zag material"? That's ridiculous, given the number of offers we give out, relative to the number who end up committing.
    Agree. If we buy into the concept of not being "Zag material" if one goes elsewhere, then Wiltjer wasn't Zag material. Oh, but, wait, then he was? Reality: lots of players are Zag material, but make a different choice for reasons we don't always know or understand.

  24. #299
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TimberZag View Post
    He wrote this below his latest Instagram post (same as twitter):

    thebwill2May 5th @ballislife ... A real decision is measured by the fact that you've taken a new action. If there's no action, you haven't truly decided.



    I refuse to put very much meaning into a tweet or post, but I do like this message. "New action" seems less consistent with going back to Arizona, or joining his old AAU teammates at Oregon.

    Or it could mean nothing at all except that he has to take action.

    Regardless, given his father's comments, I'm still content, and wouldn't trade places with the other schools.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  25. #300
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    1,371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaglaw View Post
    Agree. If we buy into the concept of not being "Zag material" if one goes elsewhere, then Wiltjer wasn't Zag material. Oh, but, wait, then he was? Reality: lots of players are Zag material, but make a different choice for reasons we don't always know or understand.
    here we go ... train is leaving the tracks again. Can we talk about Brandon Williams' commitment and leave the debate on whether someone is "Zag material" for some other time where you beer can be consumed?

    GO ZAGS

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •