Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Recruits

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Name off our last 5 Top 100 recruits prior to the recruiting class that is coming in this year or next year? Come on Jazz do some research and bring facts!
    Where’s the beef?

Facts (247 composite ranking)

1 -- Collins 2016
    2 -- Daye 2007
    3 -- Timme 2019
    4 -- Watson 2019
    5 -- Davis 2006
    6 -- Bouldin 2006
    7 -- Zakharov 2019
    8 -- Harris 2020
    9 -- Strawther 2020
    10 -- Gray 2007

5 of our highest rated recruits every in the classes of 2019 and 2020. The other 5 range from 2006 to 2016. Quit being so negative Jazz it gets old! Facts are friendly and you don't have any facts!!!! Our recruiting is at a whole new level right now.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Where’s the beef?
    Get your facts out I got mine and posted them. Don't just run your mouth.

No doubt recruiting has risen several levels over the past 5 years. That’s empirical, as you point out. IMO, we haven’t reached the ionosphere and may never.

1 -- Collins 2016
    2 -- Daye 2007
    3 -- Timme 2019
    4 -- Watson 2019
    5 -- Davis 2006
    6 -- Bouldin 2006
    7 -- Zakharov 2019
    8 -- Harris 2020
    9 -- Strawther 2020
    10 -- Gray 2007

5 of our highest rated recruits every in the classes of 2019 and 2020. The other 5 range from 2006 to 2016. Quit being so negative Jazz it gets old! Facts are friendly and you don't have any facts!!!! Our recruiting is at a whole new level right now.
    Last edited by jazzdelmar; 09-26-2019 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LTownZag View Post
    I see what you are saying in terms of who GU is publicly targeting, but has it really jumped a level (so far) in terms of who has committed to attend the University?

Seems like we are (as yet) still basically doing the same - a mix of unknown diamond-in-the-rough international guys (Ballo, Zakharov) and good (but not nationally elite or nationally top-50) PNW kids. (Ravet, Perry, Watson). And accomplished Power-6 grad transfers (Gilder).

With no commitment from Suggs, have we landed a top-40 recruit, a 5* recruit, or a Mcdonalds All-American since Zach Collins?
    Agree right now it is more in who we are targeting for 2021 compared to prior years. And we havent landed any of those guys yet, but that's not surprising as none of the top 2021 recruits have committed anywhere, it's still really early. I was saying more that in prior years if Gregg wanted to come to GU we would have said okay already, now the coaching staffs sights are set a little higher. It will be a year or more before we see if this new philosophy pays off. Gregg's not a bad fall back either. Like you said we done great with players like him in the past.

I see what you are saying in terms of who GU is publicly targeting, but has it really jumped a level (so far) in terms of who has committed to attend the University?

Seems like we are (as yet) still basically doing the same - a mix of unknown diamond-in-the-rough international guys (Ballo, Zakharov) and good (but not nationally elite or nationally top-50) PNW kids. (Ravet, Perry, Watson). And accomplished Power-6 grad transfers (Gilder).

With no commitment from Suggs, have we landed a top-40 recruit, a 5* recruit, or a Mcdonalds All-American since Zach Collins?
    I think our 2019 and 2020 classes show big improvement in recruiting also. I'm just using 247s rankings because some scouting services dont rank international players and not the composite because that skews their rankings by not being included. Most previous years Gregg as a top 100 guy would be our highest ranked recruit, but in 2019 he would have been 6th and in 2020 he would be 3rd behind both Harris and Strawther. Not saying we recruit with the Dukes or Kentuckys but a big upswing for GU. I dont imagine we will ever get to their level, nor care if we do, but the coaching staff is targeting some top 10-20 players I dont think they would have a year or two ago and seem to be getting some interest in return from them. Its early and we'll see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    I think our 2019 and 2020 classes show big improvement in recruiting also. I'm just using 247s rankings because some scouting services dont rank international players and not the composite because that skews their rankings by not being included. Most previous years Gregg as a top 100 guy would be our highest ranked recruit, but in 2019 he would have been 6th and in 2020 he would be 3rd behind both Harris and Strawther. Not saying we recruit with the Dukes or Kentuckys but a big upswing for GU. I dont imagine we will ever get to their level, nor care if we do, but the coaching staff is targeting some top 10-20 players I dont think they would have a year or two ago and seem to be getting some interest in return from them. Its early and we'll see what happens.
    This sentiment is only tangentially relevant here, but given the hypothetical choice between a perennial top-10 team (legit contender) made up showcasing a couple 5* kids and where 1-3 players intend to be 1-and-dones VS a similar top-10 congending team made up of mostly 3-4 year 3* and 4* guys who develop together and play more complicated, intricate, elaborate team ball yet fewer individual highlight reel plays and isolation schemes, I am vastly more likely to follow and root for the second type of team.

I doubt I'm alone.

That being said - it's obviously far from easy to simply "opt into" one of the 2 models above.

L, see your pt but imo you would have to accept a significant talent gap — particularly as it relates to the Dance — between the two models. As they say, you need pros to compete on the last weekend. To the extent Gonzaga has had pros over the last five years, it’s advanced. Five Pendos or Kisperts or even Melsons, however developed in their years 3 and 4, wont get you there. Zbo was both the outlier and model on getting a very good team into the FF.

This sentiment is only tangentially relevant here, but given the hypothetical choice between a perennial top-10 team (legit contender) made up showcasing a couple 5* kids and where 1-3 players intend to be 1-and-dones VS a similar top-10 congending team made up of mostly 3-4 year 3* and 4* guys who develop together and play more complicated, intricate, elaborate team ball yet fewer individual highlight reel plays and isolation schemes, I am vastly more likely to follow and root for the second type of team.

I doubt I'm alone.

That being said - it's obviously far from easy to simply "opt into" one of the 2 models above.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    L, see your pt but imo you would have to accept a significant talent gap — particularly as it relates to the Dance — between the two models. As they say, you need pros to compete on the last weekend. To the extent Gonzaga has had pros over the last five years, it’s advanced. Five Pendos or Kisperts or even Melsons, however developed in their years 3 and 4, wont get you there. Zbo was both the outlier and model on getting a very good team into the FF.
    There's a difference between "future pros" and "1-and-dones" (most of whom, if that's their trajectory from 11th grade, will be lottery picks).

Collins, drafted at #10, was actually the highest drafted (and only 1-and-done) player to appear in a national championship game in 2017 or 2018. In 2019 the two lottery picks in the Championship game were both returning players to their respective schools (Culver, Hunter) and the other 2 final 4 schools (Auburn, MSU) didn't feature any 1-and-dones. The only elite-8 squads with one-and-dones were Duke and UK (surprise!).

So I'm not arguing that a team doesn't need future NBA guys or future NBA 1st rounders to be elite in college BBall. I'm questioning the evidence to support it needs 1-and-done caliber top30 type recruits.

1 -- Collins 2016
    2 -- Daye 2007
    3 -- Timme 2019
    4 -- Watson 2019
    5 -- Davis 2006
    6 -- Bouldin 2006
    7 -- Zakharov 2019
    8 -- Harris 2020
    9 -- Strawther 2020
    10 -- Gray 2007

Here is all I know for sure. Ben Gregg is a top 30 recruit by ESPN. With that ranking, I believe he would be one of the 10 highest ranked recruits to ever commit to Gonzaga out of high school. Currently (whether wise or not) we are telling Gregg “not so fast buddy, we need to do our due diligence.” Pretty good indicator to me that we are recruiting at an insane level right now.

1 -- Collins 2016
    2 -- Daye 2007
    3 -- Timme 2019
    4 -- Watson 2019
    5 -- Davis 2006
    6 -- Bouldin 2006
    7 -- Zakharov 2019
    8 -- Harris 2020
    9 -- Strawther 2020
    10 -- Gray 2007

Wow. 5 of Zags’ top 10 highest composite ranked recruits of all time are from current ‘19 freshman and upcoming ‘20 grads Harris andStrawther. Suggs would make it 6 of 10
    It is their time....their team...I just get to watch. - Bartruff1

Gregg is actually REALLY good! Face up 4 who can play some 3.......great shooter, super skilled offensively with the body to be a plus defender......I’m actually shocked we haven’t made this one official.

Posted in the Kraziness thread on the main forum, but next weekend is going to be a huge:

https://twitter.com/ChetHolmgren/sta...85726743093248

From Bleacher Report, some facts, some familiar names.

NORTH CAROLINA

No one has a bigger weekend on tap than North Carolina, as they welcome five five-star recruits to Chapel Hill for their Late Night with Roy festivities. The biggest recruit headed to campus is the nation’s No. 2 prospect – Cade Cunningham. He’ll be joined by fellow top 10 seniors Ziaire Williams and Greg Brown and top five junior Paolo Banchero. UNC pledge Day’Ron Sharpe is also expected to be in town. Last weekends visits were a success, picking up a commitment from Walker Kessler and making a serious move for Caleb Love, could the Tar Heels add more a week later?

ARIZONA

Every year Arizona brings in a ton of recruits for their Red-Blue Weekend. This year is no different, as they’ll host four recruits for official visits and at least eight for unofficial visits. The four official visitors are four-star recruits Kerwin Walton and Puff Johnson, committed guard Dalen Terry and 2021 five-star recruit Nathan Bittle. Another key trip is five-star guard Devin Askew, who will be on campus unofficially. Other names expected to be at Arizona this weekend include 2021 five-star Jaden Hardy; 2022 five-star Dylan Anderson (No. 9), Will McClendon, Dylan Andrews and potentially five-star Michael Foster (No. 7).

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Posted in the Kraziness thread on the main forum, but next weekend is going to be a huge:

Great comments in that post, including this one by @zagmundfreud:

Turiaf. Sacre. Olynyk. Sabonis. Collins. Clarke. Hachimura. Holmgren. Welcome to the next great Zags big man. You’ll love it in Spokane, and the team/staff/community will not only support you now but through your NBA career as well.

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Great comments in that post, including this one by @zagmundfreud:

Turiaf. Sacre. Olynyk. Sabonis. Collins. Clarke. Hachimura. Holmgren. Welcome to the next great Zags big man. You’ll love it in Spokane, and the team/staff/community will not only support you now but through your NBA career as well.
    I think there may be a couple more names to squeeze inbetween Rui and Chet if he decides to come to GU.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post

Anyone else notice the bottom right corner of this..? “Parental Advisory Future Zag”? Reading too much into things?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnOGU View Post
    Anyone else notice the bottom right corner of this..? “Parental Advisory Future Zag”? Reading too much into things?
    Was this picture edit posted by someone else first or is it Holmgren’s edit? He’s asking for for opinions ("wya" means "where you at?".)
    Parlez-vous français?

Even with Suggs coming, I'm pretty sure Chet is the highest ranked recruit we will ever have had on campus. I feel like we should give him his due and discuss in his own thread.

List of 2021 recruits I can recall us talking about, let me know if I've left anyone out. I included their ranking on ESPN, 247, and Rivals. Just wanted to get all of them on 1 page.

Kennedy Chandler 17,19,12
    Isael Silva 57, 31, 20
    Nolan Hickman NR, 59, 86
    Max Christie 15, 10, 17
    Devin Askew 12, 13, 9
    Peyton Watson 52, 27, 30
    Kaden Perry NR, 83, NR committed
    Paolo Banchero 3, 4, 2
    Ben Gregg 30, 82, 60
    Caleb Furst 31, 38, 32
    Chet Holmgren 4, 2, 4
    Nathan Bittle 14, 12, 16
    Charles Bediako 34, 34, 53
    Franck Kepnang 20, 25, 24

https://twitter.com/trigonis30/statu...110637568?s=09
    We apparently have a recruit on campus this weekend on an unofficial visit. T J Wainwright.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantua View Post
    Was this picture edit posted by someone else first or is it Holmgren’s edit? He’s asking for for opinions ("wya" means "where you at?".)
    He made a identical tweet for THE Ohio state university (without the picture). Wouldn't read to much into the wording. Good start for him and Gonzaga, but its super early and the blue bloods are just now taking notice.

I wonder more about that giant Nike Swoosh with all the #### that going down related to NCAA and Nike.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnOGU View Post
    Bumping JohnOGU's comments. I think we would all value any insider perspective. Seems like a strong message to me, too.

Edit: missed ZagRecruitWatch's comment about Chet's tOSU tweet. Sounds like we should take it with a grain of salt.
    Welcome to Zagdom

from Jake twitter:
    “Arizona State’s Bobby Hurley in today for Top-100 juniors Frank Anselem and Jaden Jones, a source told @Stockrisers; Gonzaga will be in to watch Jones tomorrow.”
    Probably the only Gonzaga fan in Ireland!