Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: 2021 Recruits

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    Gregg is interesting. Timeline on him:

Seemingly wants to be a Zag his entire recruitment. Has called GU his dream school. Doesn’t get Gonzaga offer.
    Says he’s no longer considering Gonzaga after not getting an offer. Sets commitment date.
    Receives Gonzaga offer (after Zags miss out on Paolo)
    Very interesting,
    Aug. 13th Ben Gregg tweets that he will be committing on his moms birthday, Sept. 9th. Schools he listed were Arizona, Oregon, Virginia, Indiana, Cal, Virginia Tech,
    Louisville, USC, Saint Mary's, Portland and Gonzaga
    Paolo Banchero announced he will head to Duke. Aug. 20th
    Aug. 25th It was tweeted that Ben Gregg has an offer from Gonzaga and was retweeted by Ben Gregg.

Sept 9th ?????

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    Very interesting,
    Aug. 13th Ben Gregg tweets that he will be committing on his moms birthday, Sept. 9th. Schools he listed were Arizona, Oregon, Virginia, Indiana, Cal, Virginia Tech,
    Louisville, USC, Saint Mary's, Portland and Gonzaga
    Paolo Banchero announced he will head to Duke. Aug. 20th
    Aug. 25th It was tweeted that Ben Gregg has an offer from Gonzaga and was retweeted by Ben Gregg.

Sept 9th ?????
    Does Ben Gregg have some Zach Collins in him? I hate comparing players but I don't know much about this kid.
    America's Team!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ore...outputType=amp

Article from July 30 where Gregg says “not Gonzaga anymore.” Other programs have certainty prioritized him more but if he wants to be here then he wants to be here. Will find out soon enough.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ore...outputType=amp

Article from July 30 where Gregg says “not Gonzaga anymore.” Other programs have certainty prioritized him more but if he wants to be here then he wants to be here. Will find out soon enough.
    This one is going to very interesting. Ben Gregg would have committed to Gonzaga the moment we would have made him an offer if one came in the past several months. it was obvious we were looking for bigger fish to fry and didn't show that much interest in him because were going for Paolo Banchero. Simultaneously good schools like Arizona and Oregon felt strongly enough for him that they offered and made him a priority. At the end of July he was very dejected and said Gonzaga was not happening because there was no offer and he mentally moved on. Lo and behold Banchero surprisingly chose Duke and all of a sudden we had to scramble for Plan B which just happened to be Ben Gregg. Did we wait too long? Do we have too much ground to make up? Does Ben Gregg want Gonzaga enough knowing he was Plan B? That's the $64,000 question. This will be very interesting.

What happened with Nate Bittle, he seems like an elite prospect, and maybe and Oregon lean...?
    America's Team!

Quote Originally Posted by HenneZag View Post
    What happened with Nate Bittle, he seems like an elite prospect, and maybe and Oregon lean...?
    No decision yet from him. Saw he’s moving to California to play his senior year with his AAU coach. Not expecting to get him but surprises happen.

We’d been loosely connected to Nolan Hickman from Eastside Catholic who recently committed to Kentucky. Duke commit and Kentucky commit in the same league in Seattle.

Who leads the race for the top recruiting class in the west?

"Gonzaga has a Top 70 commitment in local post Kaden Perry and the Zags are serious contenders for four five-star prospects in Bittle, Minnesota center Chet Holmgren, Florida forward Caleb Houstan, and Nebraska combo guard Hunter Sallis."

The Zags also recently offered Top 60 Oregon forward Ben Gregg and are always going to be a threat to snag some high level talent overseas.

https://247sports.com/Article/USC-UC...ing-150770656/

Things are very interesting with Mr Gregg. Doesn't sound like it's too late for us to get back into things. Kinda reminds me of Brandon Williams and his recruitment.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    Things are very interesting with Mr Gregg. Doesn't sound like it's too late for us to get back into things. Kinda reminds me of Brandon Williams and his recruitment.
    Yikes, that's a painful recruitment to bring up. I guess maybe Gonzaga and Arizona's roles are reversed this time.

Quote Originally Posted by bdmiller7 View Post
    Yikes, that's a painful recruitment to bring up. I guess maybe Gonzaga and Arizona's roles are reversed this time.
    That's my thinking.

Can’t wait for Wednesday. I never thought we would get Banchero, I still doubt we get Holmgren. I thought we had a shot at Hickman but things change. That being said my dream class is Sallis, Houstan, Perry, Gregg, and Bittle. That group offers us everything in terms of talent and skill. Throw in Nembhard and we have our best class ever by far. I also hope we get Gavin Galstrip to be a pwo or potential 5 for 4 developmental big. I think Ben Gregg is underrated and hope we didn’t offer too late. I view him as a catalyst of our class and thus our future final four runs.

From twitter: 2021 4�� Ben Gregg (@bengregg20) has picked up a futurecast prediction for @ZagMBB via @Rivals. Gregg is set to announce his college decision on Wednesday. #GoZags

https://twitter.com/heatcheckhoops/s...487579136?s=21
    Probably the only Gonzaga fan in Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by Treycrew View Post
    Can’t wait for Wednesday. I never thought we would get Banchero, I still doubt we get Holmgren. I thought we had a shot at Hickman but things change. That being said my dream class is Sallis, Houstan, Perry, Gregg, and Bittle. That group offers us everything in terms of talent and skill. Throw in Nembhard and we have our best class ever by far. I also hope we get Gavin Galstrip to be a pwo or potential 5 for 4 developmental big. I think Ben Gregg is underrated and hope we didn’t offer too late. I view him as a catalyst of our class and thus our future final four runs.
    That'd be a hell of a class but I just see too much overlap in skill/positions to realistically get all 5. The team will still have strong returning guys and only so many minutes to go around. I'd be thrilled with Perry/Gregg/Sallis & one of Holmgren/Houstan/Bittle.

Also agree on Holmgren. I'd absolutely love him but his interviews and his expectations of minutes, I'm not sure GU can guarantee what he'd want. And as much pro upside as he has, I'm not convinced he'll be physically mature enough to dominate enough in his likely 1 & done season to equal the overall contributions of a multi-year guy like Gregg.
    Last edited by OntZags; 09-07-2020 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OntZags View Post
    That'd be a hell of a class but I just see too much overlap in skill/positions to realistically get all 5. The team will still have strong returning guys and only so many minutes to go around. I'd be thrilled with Perry/Gregg/Sallis & one of Holmgren/Houstan/Bittle.

Also agree on Holmgren. I'd absolutely love him but his interviews and his expectations of minutes, I'm not sure GU can guarantee what he'd want. And as much pro upside as he has, I'm not convinced he'll be physically mature enough to dominate enough in his likely 1 & done season to equal the overall contributions of a multi-year guy like Gregg.
    Holmgren would play as much as he wanted here if he commits. Not gonna be an issue.

Sounding good on Gregg. The late crystal balls ahead of a set commitment date are usually pretty telling.

Holmgren would play as much as he wanted here if he commits. Not gonna be an issue.

Sounding good on Gregg. The late crystal balls ahead of a set commitment date are usually pretty telling.
    Yeah Holmgren seems to be the type of player you make accommodations for.

He'd absolutely be in the rotation but he's not gonna play 'as much as he wants'. Lots of uncertainty with who will actually be back next season but he's certain to have stiff competition for both minutes & touches. Of course GU can sell the fact that Collins never started a game and went in the lottery and NBA scouts are far more concerned with efficiency stats than counting stats and care more about how well you operate within a team structure alongside other talented players.

My concern is other programs will be willing to hand him the keys to the castle & as many minutes and touches he want, something that has never been (nor do I see changing, even for Chet) Few's MO. We shall see, I suppose.

Yep. AZ insider posted even before the CB's that Gregg is Zagabound. Good sign. He also has Bittle going to Oregon which has seemed pretty likely for a while now.

Perry & Gregg is a great start to the class.

Not sure I have heard of this site...found it on a Google search of Ben Gregg. Rivals.com (Corey Evans) "Expert" predicts it is GU...(Correction...All 3 Experts at Rivals.com say Gonzaga)

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/20562...a-over-arizona
    Last edited by zagnut2012; 09-08-2020 at 09:03 AM. Reason: additional info

Notable quotes:

“Spokane, that’s where I grew up and that’s where my family lives too,” said Gregg

“Arizona, I’ve talked to one of their coaches every day,” Gregg said. “We’ve built a really good relationship. Sean Miller calls me two-to-three times a week. If I go there, I’ll have a really good chance of turning professional. That’s big for me—what I will do after my three-to-four years in college.”

I wish GU would take a look at this local (to me ) kid who blew up this past summer. He comes from a Super Catholic family and is one of 12 kids.
    #1 in Black. Does he remind you any past Zag?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZizfdJi4f4
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    I wish GU would take a look at this local (to me ) kid who blew up this past summer. He comes from a Super Catholic family and is one of 12 kids.
    #1 in Black. Does he remind you any past Zag?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZizfdJi4f4
    Reminds me of Jesse Wade