Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to another new walk-on - Paul Pennington

Default Welcome to another new walk-on - Paul Pennington

I don't know anything about him except he comes from Boise. Just saw this tweet:

https://twitter.com/BoiseHoops/statu...26964299968512
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

A tweet from the dad:

https://twitter.com/TweetsofVIQ/stat...72458585862144

What happens when you mix amazing coaches, supportive teammates and a wonderful administration? You wind up fulfilling your dreams. Proud Dad. Go Zags.
    “When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.”

~ Desiderius Erasmus

Nice!

Averaged 19.4 ppg, 5.1 apg, & an impressive 3 steals per game. And those were his JR yr stats, can't find his SR yr.

Considered one of the top guard prospects in Idaho.

Only thing holding him back...5'10", 150lbs.

Has serious game though, will be a great addition.
    Last edited by raise the zag; 04-19-2018 at 10:05 PM.

Welcome!! We get the best walk ons!

I believe this might be the brother-in-law of Kevin Pangos.

*future brother-in-law, thanks a13

Paul is the future brother-in-law of Kevin Pangos. I got to watch Paul play against Brock Ravet's AAU team this summer. Paul was able to get to the rim anytime he wanted with Brock guarding him.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
    Those who understand binary and those who do not.
    "Only a madman or an economist thinks exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world."

Func FOO

E .· ` ' / ·. F
    The FOO fuels me.

Quote Originally Posted by a13coach View Post
    Paul was able to get to the rim anytime he wanted with Brock guarding him.
    Wow, that's great! Oh wait, uhhh, that's bad!

Quote Originally Posted by a13coach View Post
    Paul is the future brother-in-law of Kevin Pangos. I got to watch Paul play against Brock Ravet's AAU team this summer. Paul was able to get to the rim anytime he wanted with Brock guarding him.
    Props to Paul.

He did that to a lot of people, he was a 20+ ppg scorer at the highest lvl in Idaho.

However, as much as I've built up Brock's game, and he's a baller, his defense might be the worst we've ever seen in a prospect. Brock's D makes Jesse Wade look like Kawhi Leonard.

But back to Paul. A legit pick-up. He received some serious D1 interest from lower-tier schools, and had his pick from D2.

Could develop into a sneaky good player, and someone who could garner a few mins per game before scrub time (in a couple seasons). A little 'David Stockton' in him, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    Nice!

Averaged 19.4 ppg, 5.1 apg, & an impressive 3 steals per game. And those were his JR yr stats, can't find his SR yr.
    His ppg average dipped from 19 to 15 ppg his Senior season, yet he averaged 7.1 apg!! Again, at the 5A lvl in Idaho.

The 5-10 senior won’t impress anyone stepping off the bus, but few can match the point guard’s toughness and competitive fire.

Pennington pours in 15 points per game with his soft shot, explosive first step and array of floaters in the paint. But where he truly stands out is at the head of 5A’s top-scoring offense averaging 7.1 assists per game, the most in the 5A SIC.

Coaches throughout the 5A SIC said they were amazed by the competitive fire of the 5-foot-10 senior point guard. Few are as dangerous or creative with the ball in their hand.

“(He’s a) great leader and does all the things you need to do to be an impact player,” Borah coach Jeremy Dennis said. “(His) intangibles are through the roof.”
    Prep Hoops and Idaho Statesmen considered him the top-rated player in Idaho, except his size 5'9.5", 150lbs held him back some. Coach Few took a sincere interest following the Seattle AAU Tournament. Pennington's team won the event with him at PG. He is supposedly extremely competitive and known for being lightning quick, tough, and has played well vs top competition in the Summer.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports...202516904.html

Did he ever play with or match up with Leon Rice's son Max, either in winter or summer?
    But we don't play nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewey View Post
    Wow, that's great! Oh wait, uhhh, that's bad!

But we don't play nobody.

Welcome to the Zag family!

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Welcome to the Zag family!
    Welcome, Paul!

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Did he ever play with or match up with Leon Rice's son Max, either in winter or summer?
    He did not play against him a Senior. Boise High is in the 5A and Bishop Kelly is 4A and they did not play in the non-conference schedule. I have a student at my high school who has played with/against him from time to time, I will talk to him today about Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    His ppg average dipped from 19 to 15 ppg his Senior season, yet he averaged 7.1 apg!! Again, at the 5A lvl in Idaho.

Prep Hoops and Idaho Statesmen considered him the top-rated player in Idaho, except his size 5'9.5", 150lbs held him back some. Coach Few took a sincere interest following the Seattle AAU Tournament. Pennington's team won the event with him at PG. He is supposedly extremely competitive and known for being lightning quick, tough, and has played well vs top competition in the Summer.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports...202516904.html
    I have no inside information, but based on what you wrote, this kid is not coming here to ride the bench. My guess is that he's been told he'll have a chance to make the team and contribute if he works hard kind of like David Stockton.

Braves Basketball

@BoiseHoops
    Follow Follow @BoiseHoops
    More
    Replying to @GonzagaGuru @Pm_Pennington @KPangos
    That's our guy! He did put on a show at BHS! Took us to State for the first time in 20 years with a buzzer beat 3 during his Junior year and took us back his senior year! Over 1000 points scored in his career and has helped coach the next generation! He is one of a kind!

The team also attends the Gonzaga team camp -- so he got to spend some time with other Zags also.

Welcome Paul
    Think Big. No think Bigger than that!

Sounds like more than a practice player. Hope he does well.

Welcome Paul! It's going to be great to watch your play as a Zag.

I work with a guy who coaches him during the summer and he said if he was 6'2 he would have been a 4/5 star recruit. Can't wait to see him grow as a player in our system.

This amazing legacy continues to grow.

Paul will join two former Zag walk-ons on the bench. Assistant Coach Brian Michaelson who is proving to be GREAT at what he does ... both on the floor in practice and on the recruiting trail. And Stephen Gentry (Director of Basketball Operations). After leaving Gonzaga he spent time with the Miami Heat staff (as an intern), Texas A and M, Stephen F Austin and Oklahoma State University.

I flat out love that the tradition of Gonzaga Men's Basketball walk-ons continues (and grows) to this day.

Default Paul Pennington?

When was he added to roster? Background? Redshirt?

Can players who have played in fewer than 7 games be bedshirted retroactively?

Walk-on freshman, Katie Pennington's brother, who is Kevin Pangos' wife.

Thanks for the fill-in, folks. Welcome, Paul! Happy to have you as a Zag.