Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 949

Thread: transfer thread, take three

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    Completely agree. IF he visits he's a Zag.

    However, as good as our staff is/are, we have been occupied and focused on B-Will.

    The week everyone did an in home with Cremo, we did one with Brandon Williams.

    The wkend Cremo was hoping to visit, we adjusted to Williams moving to next wkend, etc.

    I recognize how good of a talent Williams is, yet really want Joe to become a Zag. It would change his life, imo. And just think he is a perfect fit of trying to fit in, rather than taking over.

    Hell, he has been public about not demanding a starting spot, just wants more than 10 mpg. Wants to "earn" PT and have a chance to play in March.
    Is the bold section true? Was this stated somewhere?

    As far as not taking a home visit with Cremo because we were visiting B Williams that seems rather odd given that it was only one day we were visiting. Could they not find the time to see both?

    There has been some frustration with the the coaching staff's perceived focus on Brandon Williams, however, up until reading this statement I thought they were doing a great job balancing recruiting. They re-offered Brandon Williams when he reopened his recruitment but they also reached out to other guards such as, James Akinjo, Cremo, Zach Johnson, Marcus Carr, Aaron Calixte, and Malachi Flynn. They were going hard after Williams but still reaching out to other point guards they just have swung and missed on most of these guys - a recent trend in our recruiting unfortunately.

    If they really have not visited Cremo because of one meeting with Brandon Williams and actually moved Cremo's visit because of Williams I would say that was a huge mistake. Putting one recruit on the back-burner for a guy that we have been recruiting for years and only recently seemed to actually consider us an option seems like wishful thinking.

    I am sure they have communicated with Cremo that they have offered Brandon William's first and are waiting and seeing on him but letting Cremo know that they are very interested in him - at least I hope they are. Why they could not do an in-home with him seems like not a very good sign for us though and then they move his visit. Do not be surprised when when Cremo chooses someone else because you treated him as a second option.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy outgo lifer View Post
    Is the bold section true? Was this stated somewhere?

    As far as not taking a home visit with Cremo because we were visiting B Williams that seems rather odd given that it was only one day we were visiting. Could they not find the time to see both?

    There has been some frustration with the the coaching staff's perceived focus on Brandon Williams, however, up until reading this statement I thought they were doing a great job balancing recruiting. They re-offered Brandon Williams when he reopened his recruitment but they also reached out to other guards such as, James Akinjo, Cremo, Zach Johnson, Marcus Carr, Aaron Calixte, and Malachi Flynn. They were going hard after Williams but still reaching out to other point guards they just have swung and missed on most of these guys - a recent trend in our recruiting unfortunately.

    If they really have not visited Cremo because of one meeting with Brandon Williams and actually moved Cremo's visit because of Williams I would say that was a huge mistake. Putting one recruit on the back-burner for a guy that we have been recruiting for years and only recently seemed to actually consider us an option seems like wishful thinking.

    I am sure they have communicated with Cremo that they have offered Brandon William's first and are waiting and seeing on him but letting Cremo know that they are very interested in him - at least I hope they are. Why they could not do an in-home with him seems like not a very good sign for us though and then they move his visit. Do not be surprised when when Cremo chooses someone else because you treated him as a second option.
    To be fair - I'm pretty sure that Williams was a high-priority target during the original recruitment phase too; this isn't like a sudden fling.

  3. #53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy outgo lifer View Post
    Is the bold section true? Was this stated somewhere?

    As far as not taking a home visit with Cremo because we were visiting B Williams that seems rather odd given that it was only one day we were visiting. Could they not find the time to see both?

    There has been some frustration with the the coaching staff's perceived focus on Brandon Williams, however, up until reading this statement I thought they were doing a great job balancing recruiting. They re-offered Brandon Williams when he reopened his recruitment but they also reached out to other guards such as, James Akinjo, Cremo, Zach Johnson, Marcus Carr, Aaron Calixte, and Malachi Flynn. They were going hard after Williams but still reaching out to other point guards they just have swung and missed on most of these guys - a recent trend in our recruiting unfortunately.

    If they really have not visited Cremo because of one meeting with Brandon Williams and actually moved Cremo's visit because of Williams I would say that was a huge mistake. Putting one recruit on the back-burner for a guy that we have been recruiting for years and only recently seemed to actually consider us an option seems like wishful thinking.

    I am sure they have communicated with Cremo that they have offered Brandon William's first and are waiting and seeing on him but letting Cremo know that they are very interested in him - at least I hope they are. Why they could not do an in-home with him seems like not a very good sign for us though and then they move his visit. Do not be surprised when when Cremo chooses someone else because you treated him as a second option.
    Your post seems to be full of a lot of assumptions. How do you know that we swung and missed on those other players? Just because there was a small blurb that we reached out to them does not mean that we actually offered them. Plus Cremo lives in New York and Brandon Williams in California not sure how you can do in-home visits back to back across country.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,720

    Default

    We’ve been on Williams for 2-3 years. CDC claims we finished 2nd when he committed to Arizona. He certainly takes precedent over somebody that just made himself available a month ago. While some seem to believe we have the inside track on Cremo, I’ve read nothing that states such.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Your post seems to be full of a lot of assumptions. How do you know that we swung and missed on those other players? Just because there was a small blurb that we reached out to them does not mean that we actually offered them. Plus Cremo lives in New York and Brandon Williams in California not sure how you can do in-home visits back to back across country.
    Was there only one day that Cremo was doing in-home visits? I guess I am confused on that. I am wondering why they have not flown over to meet him on any day in the past few weeks.

    For the other portion of your comment we offered James Akinjo:


    @VerbalCommits
    Follow Follow @VerbalCommits
    More
    Arizona, Baylor, Gonzaga, Seton Hall and Utah offered 2018 Salesian (CA) G James Akinjo. (HT @coreyevans_10) http://verbalcommits.com/players/james-akinjo

    He committed to Georgetown.

    Yes, some assumptions on the others. The first is that when the blurb says that we reach out to the recruit I am assuming that means we are interested in that player. Secondly, when the next quote from the player states their final 4 or 5 schools and we are not listed that means that the player stated they were not interested in us. It could be a number of other reasons but I think the staff generally puts feelers out to these guys and if they are interested move forward in the process. In my opinion, that is a swing and a miss if they reach out to a kid and they are not interested but that is a part of recruiting (some recruits are just never going to be interested in us). But you are right some assumptions on my part.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    We’ve been on Williams for 2-3 years. CDC claims we finished 2nd when he committed to Arizona. He certainly takes precedent over somebody that just made himself available a month ago. While some seem to believe we have the inside track on Cremo, I’ve read nothing that states such.
    We very well could have been 2nd as I have no inside information. What I do know is that he took 10 visits to other schools prior to committing to Arizona and we were not one of them.

    He flew 3,000 miles to visit UCONN
    He has unofficially visited Cal
    He has unofficially visited UCLA; TWICE
    He has unofficially visited USC
    He has unofficially visited Nevada
    He has unofficially visited Arizona: THRICE
    He flew nearly 2,000 miles to unofficially visit Kansas

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,720

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy outgo lifer View Post
    We very well could have been 2nd as I have no inside information. What I do know is that he took 10 visits to other schools prior to committing to Arizona and we were not one of them.

    He flew 3,000 miles to visit UCONN
    He has unofficially visited Cal
    He has unofficially visited UCLA; TWICE
    He has unofficially visited USC
    He has unofficially visited Nevada
    He has unofficially visited Arizona: THRICE
    He flew nearly 2,000 miles to unofficially visit Kansas
    Not sure I get your point? He didn’t take one official visit anywhere before committing to Arizona which I believe was his dream school. The “fact” we finished 2nd, site unseen, tells me we made quite an impression. Unofficial visits seem more like “we happen to be in the neighborhood” ordeals than true interest. The way these basketball kids travel the country nowadays that wouldn’t surprise me at all. He could’ve taken those visits totally paid for if he was truly interested in those schools.

  8. #58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy outgo lifer View Post
    Was there only one day that Cremo was doing in-home visits? I guess I am confused on that. I am wondering why they have not flown over to meet him on any day in the past few weeks.

    For the other portion of your comment we offered James Akinjo:


    @VerbalCommits
    Follow Follow @VerbalCommits
    More
    Arizona, Baylor, Gonzaga, Seton Hall and Utah offered 2018 Salesian (CA) G James Akinjo. (HT @coreyevans_10) http://verbalcommits.com/players/james-akinjo

    He committed to Georgetown.

    Yes, some assumptions on the others. The first is that when the blurb says that we reach out to the recruit I am assuming that means we are interested in that player. Secondly, when the next quote from the player states their final 4 or 5 schools and we are not listed that means that the player stated they were not interested in us. It could be a number of other reasons but I think the staff generally puts feelers out to these guys and if they are interested move forward in the process. In my opinion, that is a swing and a miss if they reach out to a kid and they are not interested but that is a part of recruiting (some recruits are just never going to be interested in us). But you are right some assumptions on my part.
    You're missing the point though; it's obvious to virtually everyone that Brandon Williams is unequivocally their top priority, ahead of every other point guard including Akinjo and Cremo. If they did offer Akinjo Im sure that they told him that Brandon Williams was their top priority, reading the tea leaves it appears that they told this to Joe Cremo as well. Some people are OK being the back up plan, see Greg Foster Junior regarding Will Richardson, many or not.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    1,497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    I gotta say, people are really under-rating Cremo.

    The kid is a career 42% 3pt shooter, shot nearly 46% from 3pt last year. Those are Pangos #'s.

    Averaged 4 assists as well, all the while being the NUMBER ONE option on his team. He scored 20+ pts vs several high level teams, and played significant minutes since he was a freshman.

    He didn't shoot THAT many 3's either, thus many of his points are/were coming in the paint, or mid-range shots. All things current Zag guards don't do, save Norvell.

    Some may be underwhelmed by his first step, yet once he's in the lane, he's a decisive, confident, and crafty scorer, along with passer. He rarely got his shot blocked, and converted his TWO POINT attempts at 46%. Tremendous for a lead guard.

    His efficiency #'s currently ranked NUMBER ONE amongst every single transfer and grad transfer alike.

    A guy to light up 3's, play smart offense, be a team player, scorer when necessary, provide a spark, and most importantly, play PG from time to time is something we desperately need.

    Couldn't ask for a better transfer opportunity this year, imho.

    I feel he's every bit as well rounded and good as Jordan Mathews and would compare them very closely.
    Tend to agree. I guess it’s fair to say that BW is the more athletic, talented player, but he lacks one thing that could make the difference for the Zags; Collegiate experience. Another Nigel?

    This is not in any way to take away the experience Perks provides, just means experience squared.

    No sense expressing a preference. Just hope we convince one or the other that the Zags are THE place to be.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    1,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    You're missing the point though; it's obvious to virtually everyone that Brandon Williams is unequivocally their top priority, ahead of every other point guard including Akinjo and Cremo. If they did offer Akinjo Im sure that they told him that Brandon Williams was their top priority, reading the tea leaves it appears that they told this to Joe Cremo as well. Some people are OK being the back up plan, see Greg Foster Junior regarding Will Richardson, many or not.
    I really dont dig the idea of referring to incoming players as "backup plans". I think Will Richardson was being recruited for the same slot that Brandon Williams is being recruited for. I think Joe Cremo is being recruited for that slot as well.

  11. #61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsmoove View Post
    I really dont dig the idea of referring to incoming players as "backup plans". I think Will Richardson was being recruited for the same slot that Brandon Williams is being recruited for. I think Joe Cremo is being recruited for that slot as well.
    Well then you're not being realistic. At all. Brandon Williams is their #1 priority, bottom line. And it was actually open knowledge that Greg Foster Jr. was waiting to know what WR would do before we offered him. it was discussed in a few threads. It's ok to be a "backup" plan, so of our best players were.

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    1,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Well then you're not being realistic. At all. Brandon Williams is their #1 priority, bottom line. And it was actually open knowledge that Greg Foster Jr. was waiting to know what WR would do before we offered him. it was discussed in a few threads. It's ok to be a "backup" plan, so of our best players were.
    Foster and/or his people were quoted as stating he was waiting to find out what Richardson was going to do? I havent seen that, is there a specific link to that you can provide? Not being a contrarian, just would like to see that myself.

  13. #63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsmoove View Post
    Foster and/or his people were quoted as stating he was waiting to find out what Richardson was going to do? I havent seen that, is there a specific link to that you can provide? Not being a contrarian, just would like to see that myself.
    It was in the recruiting threads last year. It was pretty well-known that he wasn't going to get an official offer until we knew what Will Richardson was going to do. Once he chose Oregon we offered Foster and he jumped on it. Some people get offended knowing they're a backup plan, others use it as motivation; no biggie either way.

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    15,780

    Default

    Gotta be one of the toughest balancing acts Coach Few takes on, priority in recruitment. He has earned the right to claim a seat at the table with any coach in the country, really shouldn't consider any kid "over his head."

    But, seems that for a school like us to get the "5-star" kids requires us to be all-in right from the start (there could be other factors at play, why 5 stars seem to fall into other elite's laps, $$$/FBI). As with Zach Collins, it can work, and the results speak for themselves. With a Wiltjer, it can ...crush us at first? (Not sure if we "lost" anyone, counting on Wiltjer out of H.S.)

    Mark Few wouldn't be Mark Few, and he wouldn't be Mark Few at Gonzaga University, if he were not going to be fully honest and candid, respecting every recruit. I am sure every kid wants to hear "We want you, only you, need you, will name the plane after you." I'm sure some coaches will say it all the time, with every recruit. With Few, I'm pretty sure it's like the talk with the "father figure" in a family you might join. "Here is our situation, son. I respect that you have to make decisions, too. We have this that and the other. But, we also highly value you. Should there be a place for you, we will commit to you fully, mind, body, soul. But, you need to know this situation as it stands now, I'll always be honest with you ..."

    Very tough. the "5-stars" seem to have an ability to take you 4 games deep in the tourney. But, even including the fact that you're dealing with the whims of 18 year old kids, there are just so many truly "unknowns" the possibility of "missing" must weigh heavy. Not feeling sorry for him, he's well paid and respected to make the call. Just gotta be tough.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    5,085

    Default

    majority of top recruits see 9 players made the NBA from GU....thats 2 seasons worth at Duke or Kentucky ...just my opinion


  16. #66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    majority of top recruits see 9 players made the NBA from GU....thats 2 seasons worth at Duke or Kentucky ...just my opinion

    Sacre, Collins and Sabonis are missing from that picture for whatever reason.

  17. #67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    majority of top recruits see 9 players made the NBA from GU....thats 2 seasons worth at Duke or Kentucky ...just my opinion

    True, however, the Duke and Kentucky guys arrive already in the 1st round of many mock drafts whereas we are taking off the nba radar guys and putting them into the league. It's a chicken or the egg situation with the blue bloods putting guys in the league. So far we have gotten one McDonalds All-American, Zach Collins, and he was able to go 10th overall in what many consider a loaded draft after coming off the bench for one season with Gonzaga.

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    15,780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bouldin4Prez View Post
    True, however, the Duke and Kentucky guys arrive already in the 1st round of many mock drafts whereas we are taking off the nba radar guys and putting them into the league. It's a chicken or the egg situation with the blue bloods putting guys in the league. So far we have gotten on McDonalds All-American and he was able to go 10th overall in what many consider a loaded draft after coming off the bench for one season with Gonzaga.
    Well said.

    Guys like Olynick, Sacre, they certainly put the work in and deserve most of the credit, but I don't think even they would argue that they would be (been) in the NBA without having first been at Gonzaga. Even Sabonis likely benefited tremendously from choosing GU over other places, though he probably couldn't be kept out of the league no matter what.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  19. #69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    majority of top recruits see 9 players made the NBA from GU....thats 2 seasons worth at Duke or Kentucky ...just my opinion

    There is a chance for this to begin to change with Dominick Harris. Will be interesting to see how many high-4's and 5's want to play with this kid in 2020. But he's going to be something very special. He will not be a long-term player at GU.

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,121

    Default

    " If they did offer Akinjo Im sure that they told him that Brandon Williams was their top priority, reading the tea leaves it appears that they told this to Joe Cremo as well" says Spy.
    Why do you think that. I don't.

    Half the faces on the wall are women players. I don't know if male recruits would be impressed by that.

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    1,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    It was in the recruiting threads last year. It was pretty well-known that he wasn't going to get an official offer until we knew what Will Richardson was going to do. Once he chose Oregon we offered Foster and he jumped on it. Some people get offended knowing they're a backup plan, others use it as motivation; no biggie either way.
    So just assumed then. Ok.

  22. #72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsmoove View Post
    So just assumed then. Ok.
    I didn't post it. I don't get your point, do you honestly believe that coaches rank all recruits that play the same position equally?

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    543

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    " If they did offer Akinjo Im sure that they told him that Brandon Williams was their top priority, reading the tea leaves it appears that they told this to Joe Cremo as well" says Spy.
    Why do you think that. I don't.

    Half the faces on the wall are women players. I don't know if male recruits would be impressed by that.
    If a staff told me to wait because I was a backup plan to whom they really wanted I might look elsewhere to play.
    I also agree that the male recruits may not be impressed but the womens team are also using the facility.

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Bainbridge Island
    Posts
    1,068

    Default

    Where is Austin Daye?

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6,700

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doctorzag View Post
    If a staff told me to wait because I was a backup plan to whom they really wanted I might look elsewhere to play.
    It wouldn’t feel good.

    Do our coaches even do this? It’s written as fact by some here but it just seems off. As in a conditional offer is normal? Maybe I am getting old school but an offer should be an offer. I have a hard time believing Few would pass on a transfer he wanted for his top recruit. Makes no sense. He would find room some way to give scholarships and allow them co-exist, opposed to pitting their recruitment against each other. Just doesn’t seem like how it should go but would love to hear some perspectives.
    Go Zags!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •