Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: transfer thread, take three

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    Hes going to be 23 years old by the 2019 draft with a history of injuries, on a team that doesnt fit his playing style, in a league that he will have a hard time getting his numbers to look decent in. Cal cant overcome that to the league scouts.
    Thank u.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsmoove View Post
    Not a shock at all. What was shocking was how everyone doubted the rumors that he was almost a lock to go to Lexington in the first place. Sometimes homerism can be blinding.
    So do you believe everything you read on the internet...lol

Without knowing why this kid chose Kentucky, and not knowing what his precise roll will be or how the season will unfold for him, I think it is comical that folks on this board would pontificate on how smart or dumb the decision was. I can think of a half dozen reasons right off the top of my head why picking Kentucky over Nova or GU might be preferred by a kid like Travis. i can also think of another half dozen reasons why someone in his shoes might want to go somewhere other than Kentucky. We are not him and we have no idea what drove him to transfer to Lexington, and without knowing his reasons it is a fools errand to try and proclaim how wise or unwise that decision was

Quote Originally Posted by MileHigh View Post
    Without knowing why this kid chose Kentucky, and not knowing what his precise roll will be or how the season will unfold for him, I think it is comical that folks on this board would pontificate on how smart or dumb the decision was. I can think of a half dozen reasons right off the top of my head why picking Kentucky over Nova or GU might be preferred by a kid like Travis. i can also think of another half dozen reasons why someone in his shoes might want to go somewhere other than Kentucky. We are not him and we have no idea what drove him to transfer to Lexington, and without knowing his reasons it is a fools errand to try and proclaim how wise or unwise that decision was
    Of course we can’t know his reasons but isn’t tossing around opinions about why, where, how etc. on any and all topics related to GU hoops the raison d’ętre of this forum?
    “I don’t expect us to be perfect anytime soon,” guard Silas Melson said, “but one thing I do expect is trying to get better every day and playing tougher, harder and more physical than the opponent.”

As per Jon Rothstein. Geno Crandell visiting us next weekend. Also I posted this to reply in 2018 thread.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Of course we can’t know his reasons but isn’t tossing around opinions about why, where, how etc. on any and all topics related to GU hoops the raison d’ętre of this forum?
    Spot on, Flex. We all wish the kid well, some of us just dismayed by the decision on K. If he chose Jay there’d be 99% approval here.

If I was Reid, I would probably just go to the place I thought I would have the most fun at this point. If he is an NBA player, the NBA will find him. Nigel Williams Goss is a fringe NBA player and had more exposure his last year than just about anybody I can think of. I don't think the path can be the same for any two people. To thine own self be true, or something like that...

Quote Originally Posted by doctorzag View Post
    As per Jon Rothstein. Geno Crandell visiting us next weekend. Also I posted this to reply in 2018 thread.
    This kid would really help Gonzaga. He is a high major talent that has been playing at a mid major school. He has been playing 30+ minutes a game since he was a freshman at UND though, and I doubt, even if he steps in to replace Melson as a starter, that he would get that much tick if he transferred to Gonzaga. Maybe a reduced role/minutes is something he is willing to give up for the chance to play for a potential final four team. Xavier (visits next week)might be a better spot for him from a PT perspective since both MCura and Bluett graduated

This kid would really help Gonzaga. He is a high major talent that has been playing at a mid major school. He has been playing 30+ minutes a game since he was a freshman at UND though, and I doubt, even if he steps in to replace Melson as a starter, that he would get that much tick if he transferred to Gonzaga. Maybe a reduced role/minutes is something he is willing to give up for the chance to play for a potential final four team. Xavier (visits next week)might be a better spot for him from a PT perspective since both MCura and Bluett graduated
    Agree that minutes probably won't be the same at the two schools, but only one school on that list is sweet 16 bound and that is us!

You don't really want a bunch of your players (if any) playing 30mpg, anyway. Ideally, if you can get them between the mid-low 20's and super efficient, you can make a lot of deep run's. Efficiency is the name of the game, the more minutes you play, the more diminished your return will typically be. He actually seems to have some similarities in style to JP. Would make a very good backcourt tandem.

X lost a lot of talent --- he would probably get a bunch of minutes on a rebuilding team -- not sure if that is what he is looking for. They do have a solid point guard still there in Goodin -- but the cupboard might be a bit empty for a dance trip next year. They do have 4 different 2 star transfers coming in to try to right the ship -- we will see if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaholicPodcast View Post
    You don't really want a bunch of your players (if any) playing 30mpg, anyway. Ideally, if you can get them between the mid-low 20's and super efficient, you can make a lot of deep run's. Efficiency is the name of the game, the more minutes you play, the more diminished your return will typically be. He actually seems to have some similarities in style to JP. Would make a very good backcourt tandem.
    Perkins 32
    Melson 30
    Williams 29
    Norvell 27
    Tillie 26

If Gonzaga recruited Reid, I don't get it. If anything, they have too many frontcourt players. Reid was not going to choose GU on that alone.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    If I was Reid, I would probably just go to the place I thought I would have the most fun at this point. If he is an NBA player, the NBA will find him. Nigel Williams Goss is a fringe NBA player and had more exposure his last year than just about anybody I can think of. I don't think the path can be the same for any two people. To thine own self be true, or something like that...
    He also played a lot. Cal has already recruited his team of frosh one and doner's. He MAY get Wiltjer minutes, but there is no guarantee that he will beat out the incumbent freshman!
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    If Gonzaga recruited Reid, I don't get it. If anything, they have too many frontcourt players. Reid was not going to choose GU on that alone.
    Agreed, yet the biggest question to me is why didn't we recruit Joe Cremo harder? It's been bugging me.

I suppose timing is everything yet pretty evident we want to add another guard. We have shown interest in just about every available guard on the market.

I think we missed an incredible opportunity with Joe, who, by all accounts, was very interested in GU. Based upon our actions, it appeared more one sided on his behalf.

Again, moving on...yet here is hoping Crandall joins the team by the 4th.
    "Rob plays with a high level of intensity when it's time, has a good time when it's not ... I love his enthusiasm and his zest for life. He picks us all up when he enters the gym."

-- Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    Agreed, yet the biggest question to me is why didn't we recruit Joe Cremo harder? It's been bugging me.

I suppose timing is everything yet pretty evident we want to add another guard. We have shown interest in just about every available guard on the market.

I think we missed an incredible opportunity with Joe, who, by all accounts, was very interested in GU. Based upon our actions, it appeared more one sided on his behalf.

Again, moving on...yet here is hoping Crandall joins the team by the 4th.
    Meh on Cremo. Hope he does well at Nova. Crandall seems like a much better fit imo.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    Meh on Cremo. Hope he does well at Nova. Crandall seems like a much better fit imo.
    I agree. Crandall > Cremo, but best of luck to Cremo at Villy hope he has a great season.

Daily News: An example of the the Calipari BS that lured Travis.

“Kevin Knox, the co-SEC Freshman of the Year with Alabama's Collin Sexton, doesn't turn 19 until August. He averaged 15.6 points and 5.4 rebounds for John Calipari, who predicted last week that Knox would be the steal of the draft. Calipari is supposed to say that. He always says that. He was saying big things about Malik Monk last year as well and Monk barely played for a losing Charlotte team.”

Somewhere lost in this madness, Zane Martin is supposed to be in Spokane starting today through sunday. Lets show our guy some love. Would be nice to see him to finish his career in Spokane.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    He also played a lot. Cal has already recruited his team of frosh one and doner's. He MAY get Wiltjer minutes, but there is no guarantee that he will beat out the incumbent freshman!
    Ridiculous statement.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Daily News: An example of the the Calipari BS that lured Travis.

“Kevin Knox, the co-SEC Freshman of the Year with Alabama's Collin Sexton, doesn't turn 19 until August. He averaged 15.6 points and 5.4 rebounds for John Calipari, who predicted last week that Knox would be the steal of the draft. Calipari is supposed to say that. He always says that. He was saying big things about Malik Monk last year as well and Monk barely played for a losing Charlotte team.”
    Or....he's a salesman who gets on the trail and hustles for his kids. Wait. Almost like someone said that, before? Hmmm. You can hate Calipari, you can think he is shady (and he is), but he gets the job done in that respect (PR and hustle for his players). I await your pivot and spin.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsmoove View Post
    Somewhere lost in this madness, Zane Martin is supposed to be in Spokane starting today through sunday. Lets show our guy some love. Would be nice to see him to finish his career in Spokane.
    While I completely agreed with Smoove, Zane Martin should be getting some serious love on this board too, I think folks are focussed on the immediate needs of next season, which Martin won't help with. Doesn't mean we don't need him, though. We truly do.

You want to use examples of Kentucky players in the nba, so you choose Monk. I gues you forgot about Anthony Davis, DeMarcus Cousins, John Wall, Davin Booker, Karl-Anthony Towns, just to mention a few. For every Monk there are 6 or 8 Kentucky players in the nba that are stars. Who knows given time even Monk might even turn out to be a good player. It takes time for some players to adjust than others. There are many more supposedly can't miss duke players who are busts in the nba than Kentucky players, but I suppose you forgot about that.

Can we stop with all the Kentucky bs? Nobody cares. Let’s focus on our potential transfers.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    Can we stop with all the Kentucky bs? Nobody cares. Let’s focus on our potential transfers.
    Just came here to post the same thing. Let's talk about Zane Martin