Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: transfer thread, take three

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Crazy View Post
    Took big strides, offensively, from freshman to sophomore year.
    Yes he did. Not sure he is someone even on our radar, but this is the type of transfer I think we get, someone who entered their name in the draft, but really needs to come back to school for a year or two (graduate mostlikely).

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Crazy View Post
    Took big strides, offensively, from freshman to sophomore year.
    He sure did, 6ppg to 20ppg! He's an sg, not a pg though and we won't have a starting spot for him unless Zach blows up and leaves after next season (which is possible). Also he's from Philly, so gotta think that he's hoping for a Nova offer.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    He sure did, 6ppg to 20ppg! He's an sg, not a pg though and we won't have a starting spot for him unless Zach blows up and leaves after next season (which is possible). Also he's from Philly, so gotta think that he's hoping for a Nova offer.
    I am sure that is what he is waiting for, heck why wouldn't you!

Quote Originally Posted by caldwellzag View Post
    Interesting... I would guess this is how we will get our impact transfer, someone who declares and then transferes.

https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/sta...72503231496192

https://twitter.com/Sam_Vecenie/stat...75821148205056
    makes sense to me. here's a look at him below

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    makes sense to me. here's a look at him below

We need a guard for this year so I am not sure why we are discussing this guy. If he transfers he will have to sit a year.

I am sure that is what he is waiting for, heck why wouldn't you!
    Yup, when the best team in the nation is from your hometown and it looks like they will have an opening at shooting guard now that it looks like DDV is staying in the draft.

Thats a laundry list of schools. High interest transfer. Looks like a big physical guard who can take his man inside off the dribble drive and create his own shot. Hope hes willing to consider the west.

Rawle Alkins 2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorzag View Post
    We need a guard for this year so I am not sure why we are discussing this guy. If he transfers he will have to sit a year.
    yep, he's a sit one/play two guy. I think the discussion is mainly because he's good and could be here for two years

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    yep, he's a sit one/play two guy. I think the discussion is mainly because he's good and could be here for two years
    A guard that can slash and get to the basket is important for us moving forward. We have one in 2020 coming our way, but he will help us in the mean time if we can get him to visit.

A guard that can slash and get to the basket is important for us moving forward. We have one in 2020 coming our way, but he will help us in the mean time if we can get him to visit.
    He'd essentially fill ZN's role, if Zack were to declare after this season (which I consider a possibility). He can shoot the rock, as well. Not a sharp shooter, but proficient. His A/T ration is not good enough for him to run the point, but given how Towson moves the ball around the perimeter, and his ability to dribble-drive and take contact, he's definitely worth the look as a combo guard.

He has a super high USG%....but we are talking about a kid that has morphed into a high major talent, playing on a middling mid-major. He can't play the kind of defense he has played, and A/T ratio would need to become more efficient. But you might be able to make the case that has a chance at happening, if you don't expect him to do as much and place him in a system(and thus a role) where he can become more efficient. If you can get a kid below 20% USG, and 3 assists a game, with at last a 1.5-2/1...can't ask for much more. With the new motion offense, that becomes a little more difficult. But in the days of the PnR/PnP heavy offense, that was so hard to accomplish.

Will be interested to see what happens. Like the bigger, more physical guard type, though.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Rawle Alkins 2.0.
    I can see that comparison.

After hearing hints and hype about the Zags having a chance to land a grad transfer guard from the group of guys that will withdraw from the NBA Draft, I decided to look at the list of early entrants that may be eligible depending on if they're able to graduate this summer.

The list was longer than I expected, so I'll cut to the chase and post about 6 guys that I haven't seen mentioned on this board, but seem to me to be perfect candidates worth discussing and getting excited about:

East Coast Guys:

Justin Wright-Foreman, Hofstra - The 5th leading scorer in the nation at 24.4 ppg, and not just based on volume. Shot 37% from 3 the past 2 seasons.

Jon Davis, Charlotte - Charlotte has a new coach and another guard of theirs already transferred. Davis was the PG and averaged 17.6 ppg last year (32.9% from 3) and 19.6 ppg the year before (38% from 3).

Chris Clemons, Campbell - 5'9" but a monster scorer. 24.9 ppg last year, 25.1 ppg the year before. 36.5% career from 3.

West Coast Guys:

Deshon Taylor, Fresno State - Just withdrew from the draft today. He already transferred once and sat out a year, so he fits the grad transfer mold perfectly. Averaged 17.8 ppg last year, and has been remarkably consistent from 3, shooting almost exactly 39% all three years in college.

Tyler Hall, Montana State - Has been a stud scorer since he got there. Not sure if he can graduate in 3 years. 17.5 ppg last year, 23.1 ppg the year before, 18.6 freshman year. 37.2% from 3 last year, 42.9% the year before, 43% freshman year.

Sedrick Barefield, Utah - Already transferred from SMU and sat out a year, so fits the traditional grad transfer mold. He's from California originally. 12 ppg and 35% from 3 last year, 39% from 3 the year before.

I would be pumped about any of these guys, but especially piped up about Taylor or Hall personally. Let's keep an eye on if these guys withdraw from the draft in the coming days.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post
    After hearing hints and hype about the Zags having a chance to land a grad transfer guard from the group of guys that will withdraw from the NBA Draft, I decided to look at the list of early entrants that may be eligible depending on if they're able to graduate this summer.

The list was longer than I expected, so I'll cut to the chase and post about 6 guys that I haven't seen mentioned on this board, but seem to me to be perfect candidates worth discussing and getting excited about:

East Coast Guys:

Justin Wright-Foreman, Hofstra - The 5th leading scorer in the nation at 24.4 ppg, and not just based on volume. Shot 37% from 3 the past 2 seasons.

Jon Davis, Charlotte - Charlotte has a new coach and another guard of theirs already transferred. Davis was the PG and averaged 17.6 ppg last year (32.9% from 3) and 19.6 ppg the year before (38% from 3).

Chris Clemons, Campbell - 5'9" but a monster scorer. 24.9 ppg last year, 25.1 ppg the year before. 36.5% career from 3.

West Coast Guys:

Deshon Taylor, Fresno State - Just withdrew from the draft today. He already transferred once and sat out a year, so he fits the grad transfer mold perfectly. Averaged 17.8 ppg last year, and has been remarkably consistent from 3, shooting almost exactly 39% all three years in college.

Tyler Hall, Montana State - Has been a stud scorer since he got there. Not sure if he can graduate in 3 years. 17.5 ppg last year, 23.1 ppg the year before, 18.6 freshman year. 37.2% from 3 last year, 42.9% the year before, 43% freshman year.

Sedrick Barefield, Utah - Already transferred from SMU and sat out a year, so fits the traditional grad transfer mold. He's from California originally. 12 ppg and 35% from 3 last year, 39% from 3 the year before.

I would be pumped about any of these guys, but especially piped up about Taylor or Hall personally. Let's keep an eye on if these guys withdraw from the draft in the coming days.
    Good stuff. I would say that Hall and Taylor will withdraw their names in the next few days, with the amount of dual credit classes these students can take in high school these days graduating in 3 years is pretty easy actually. I would guess Hall could or will graduate this summer at the latest (just my guess no proof).

Quote Originally Posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post

East Coast Guys:

West Coast Guys:

Terrific post, informative, & a fun read.

As much exciting "behind the scenes" things I've heard for 2019 -- recruits, international prospects, even future transfers...lots of rumblings and things going on...I haven't heard a PEEP for 2018. Not since Carr or Cremo announced their destinations.

That said, nothing was said or mentioned about Byron Wesley til August....thus ya never know...

I had heard about Jordan Mathews almost 2 months before it was announced though, from a former player who was aware of it...

Personally, I wish there were legs behind the Montana kid. Ahmaad Rorie. The perfect fit for us, strong, tough, good attitude, can ball, & handle the rock, durable too.
    "Rob plays with a high level of intensity when it's time, has a good time when it's not ... I love his enthusiasm and his zest for life. He picks us all up when he enters the gym."

-- Coach Few

And who knows what the Zag coaching staff is up to? I’m thinking and hoping a “pleasant surprise” on down the road. Who knows? You never know. Could be!ray

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaCoyote View Post
    I’m thinking and hoping a “pleasant surprise” on down the road.
    Not a bad plan, MC.

The possibilities while not "endless" are certainly there.

1. This Board first heard of Byron Wesley VERY late in the process because he wasn't sure he was going to have the credits to graduate ... until he did. Thus, he hadn't "announced" he was going the "Grad Transfer" route until he did (which means we ... the board ... didn't know about him until very late May/early June.

2) There have been continued rumblings about an International kid (not 100% sure which country/continent but some of us remember just how close Greivis Vasquez was to being a Zag).

3) Those "in the know" are aware of the possibility of Ayayi being a "2 and done" guy ... and not leaving early for Euroball. The kid can play.

So I'm with you @MontanaCoyote ... "thinking/hoping for a pleasant surprise". But the most pleasant thought of all? Zags are Top 5 NOW ....