Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: transfer thread, take three

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Disagree with your first sentence. (i.e. there WAS a shot and they didn't lay off on anything else they were doing)

Strongly agree with your second and third sentences. (i.e. that's what they do ... and do well).
    Sorry ABE, I’m putting my trust in GoZags on this!

Disagree with your first sentence. (i.e. there WAS a shot and they didn't lay off on anything else they were doing)

Strongly agree with your second and third sentences. (i.e. that's what they do ... and do well).
    I misspoke on BWilliams. Not too much time as in "wasted" time.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    I misspoke on BWilliams. Not too much time as in "wasted" time.
    But ABE, the key is we BOTH agree on the 2nd part of your post. Things ARE still quietly happening behind the scenes. "Good" things.

I know a little

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    We quite possibly have to be the worst message board at staying on topic. The transfer thread somehow morphed into the 2019 thread
    Actually, we're one of the best. It is not just normal for 10 page threads to drift into related issues, it is very welcome bc that's often where someone reads it the first time.

Beyond that, the off-season is the time to just "talk" about the future.

Evidently you haven't seen many other boards, particularly ones at big football schools, where topics generally stray to why either the coaches or the other fans are morons that have no business around a team.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Actually, we're one of the best. It is not just normal for 10 page threads to drift into related issues, it is very welcome bc that's often where someone reads it the first time.

Beyond that, the off-season is the time to just "talk" about the future.

Evidently you haven't seen many other boards, particularly ones at big football schools, where topics generally stray to why either the coaches or the other fans are morons that have no business around a team.
    And yet no one will answer my question as to what they think Rui's favorite American food is?! This thread is just garbage!

But ABE, the key is we BOTH agree on the 2nd part of your post. Things ARE still quietly happening behind the scenes. "Good" things.
    Hooray 4 hints!

So you and Abe are posting on the transfer thread.

Certainly you wouldn't dare posting these hints on the incorrect thread.

Quick question - would you still be posting these hints here if it was a "grad transfer" thread instead of the all encompassing "transfer thread, take three"?

Quote Originally Posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post
    Hooray 4 hints!

So you and Abe are posting on the transfer thread.

Certainly you wouldn't dare posting these hints on the incorrect thread.

Quick question - would you still be posting these hints here if it was a "grad transfer" thread instead of the all encompassing "transfer thread, take three"?
    this is a guess, educated by nothing but previous experience... but i don't think they put nearly that much thought into those posts.

Jeff Goodman

Verified account

@GoodmanESPN
    3m3 minutes ago
    More Jeff Goodman Retweeted ikechukwu obiagu ����
    Seton Hall picks up Florida State transfer Ike Obiagu.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Jeff Goodman

Verified account

@GoodmanESPN
    3m3 minutes ago
    More Jeff Goodman Retweeted ikechukwu obiagu ����
    Seton Hall picks up Florida State transfer Ike Obiagu.
    Good for the Hall!

Would’ve been redundant if we truly get MVK.

In one of the first two transfer threads someone posted a link of a website that continuously updates all of the transfers, who has signed and who is still available. But I can't find it. Does anyone know what the website is?

In one of the first two transfer threads someone posted a link of a website that continuously updates all of the transfers, who has signed and who is still available. But I can't find it. Does anyone know what the website is?
    Verbal commits

I love barttorvik for everything. Tons of great stuff there.

http://barttorvik.com/playerstat.php...&end=trans0501

Shows where transfers are headed.

http://barttorvik.com/playerstat.php...1&end=20180501

Shows who is left.

Just wondering if you have seen the comments below from Williams step-father,

"While Gonzaga, Oregon and Arizona were Williams’ three finalists, Wright said it was really ASU that Arizona beat out — maybe because of that feeling in Williams’ heart."

'If it wasn’t for Arizona, that’s probably where he would have gone,' "Wright said of ASU." 'It was a perfect fit for him over there. (Coach Bobby Hurley) let’s those guards play. But after that trip, Brandon was like ‘Man, I just can’t do it.

'It’s just too close.’

It looks like at best we were his third option and even there you would have a hard time convincing me that if U of A and ASU suddenly decided to disband their basketball programs that he would not have chosen Oregon. However, that is irrelevant as his dream school was U of A and he was never going to go anywhere else.

I am also wondering, as I have no idea, if the staff lost out on Joe Cremo because of Williams. I have not seen any articles on the matter but it was stated on the boards earlier that Few and staff missed a chance at an in-home visit with Cremo because they were visiting with Williams and that they also cancelled or moved the Cremo visit to accommodate Williams. I am wondering if the Williams recruitment cost us Cremo but maybe as others have stated maybe we weren't that interested in him.

I really hope your second statement is true as Few has been trying to find a PG for 2 season now without any success and it is looking like we are going to start 2018 with only a recovering Perkins and no clear back-up. 2019 is not looking any better as our system works best with a new PG having a year of tutelage under an upperclassmen before taking the reins.

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawild...50bf2832f.html

Why did ABC cancel Designated Survivor? It was a good show.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy outgo lifer View Post

"While Gonzaga, Oregon and Arizona were Williams’ three finalists, Wright said it was really ASU that Arizona beat out — maybe because of that feeling in Williams’ heart."

'If it wasn’t for Arizona, that’s probably where he would have gone,' "Wright said of ASU." 'It was a perfect fit for him over there. (Coach Bobby Hurley) let’s those guards play. But after that trip, Brandon was like ‘Man, I just can’t do it.

'It’s just too close.’

It looks like at best we were his third option and even there you would have a hard time convincing me that if U of A and ASU suddenly decided to disband their basketball programs that he would not have chosen Oregon. However, that is irrelevant as his dream school was U of A and he was never going to go anywhere else.

I am also wondering, as I have no idea, if the staff lost out on Joe Cremo because of Williams. I have not seen any articles on the matter but it was stated on the boards earlier that Few and staff missed a chance at an in-home visit with Cremo because they were visiting with Williams and that they also cancelled or moved the Cremo visit to accommodate Williams. I am wondering if the Williams recruitment cost us Cremo but maybe as others have stated maybe we weren't that interested in him.

I really hope your second statement is true as Few has been trying to find a PG for 2 season now without any success and it is looking like we are going to start 2018 with only a recovering Perkins and no clear back-up. 2019 is not looking any better as our system works best with a new PG having a year of tutelage under an upperclassmen before taking the reins.

Sad, if true. To quote George Costanza, "we got nothin'."

I don't believe we lost out on Cremo BECAUSE of Williams. Besides, BWill was worth fighting for -- shoot for the 'stars' as they say. We had a horse in the race, had to go for it...

However, I do know we moved Cremo's one open wkend around for Brandon Williams since he was originally scheduled for June 1st. Cremo wanted to visit Gonzaga. He continually expressed his interest in GU. After he had visited Creighton the first wkend, Texas the second wkend, he wanted to visit Gonzaga the third weekend. We did not say "no" to Joe, but its the same weekend we moved things around to accommodate Brandon Williams. We were honest and upfront to Joe about this occurrence, and Joe was open to re-scheduling.

That said, it cost us some momentum with Cremo. He also received interest from Villanova and Kansas that following week. Who could have guessed that would happen? Even after all that, he still listed us as a finalist in his most up-to-date interview (as the only school he hadn't visited up to that point). Plus, the wkend after he visited Kansas, it was Gonzaga's Graduation Wkend, which would have been difficult, thus moving him back another wkend.

Gonzaga wanted him to consider, and Joe pulled the trigger on Villanova's offer. Not in spite of us, but probably a bit tired after 5 visits in a row, and not being able to fit us in between said visits.

One of those things, where "timing is everything". It just wasn't meant to be. We didn't lose out on Cremo because of Williams, but it certainly cost us a visit with him.
    "Rob plays with a high level of intensity when it's time, has a good time when it's not ... I love his enthusiasm and his zest for life. He picks us all up when he enters the gym."

-- Coach Few

'It’s just too close.’

So ... is what you're saying is that if it were you in charge you wouldn't have bothered spending any time (or effort) recruiting Williams? That because after the fact you KNOW Gonzaga wasn't in his top 2 that it wasn't worth their time?

And no ... I hadn't read the comments from the kid's stepfather. I didn't feel the need to read anything after the decision was announced.

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    I don't believe we lost out on Cremo BECAUSE of Williams. Besides, BWill was worth fighting for -- shoot for the 'stars' as they say. We had a horse in the race, had to go for it...

However, I do know we moved Cremo's one open wkend around for Brandon Williams since he was originally scheduled for June 1st. Cremo wanted to visit Gonzaga. He continually expressed his interest in GU. After he had visited Creighton the first wkend, Texas the second wkend, he wanted to visit Gonzaga the third weekend. We did not say "no" to Joe, but its the same weekend we moved things around to accommodate Brandon Williams. We were honest and upfront to Joe about this occurrence, and Joe was open to re-scheduling.

That said, it cost us some momentum with Cremo. He also received interest from Villanova and Kansas that following week. Who could have guessed that would happen? Even after all that, he still listed us as a finalist in his most up-to-date interview (as the only school he hadn't visited up to that point). Plus, the wkend after he visited Kansas, it was Gonzaga's Graduation Wkend, which would have been difficult, thus moving him back another wkend.

Gonzaga wanted him to consider, and Joe pulled the trigger on Villanova's offer. Not in spite of us, but probably a bit tired after 5 visits in a row, and not being able to fit us in between said visits.

One of those things, where "timing is everything". It just wasn't meant to be. We didn't lose out on Cremo because of Williams, but it certainly cost us a visit with him.
    Raise, you sure cover all your bases in this statement. Did the lust for BW impair the approach to Cremo or not? Bottom line, as soon as Jay opened his kimono, Cremo was going to Nova.....who wouldn't. Ironically, assuming what they were saying about their CBB goals was true, Joe's best spot is indeed Nova; BW's would have been GU.

So ... is what you're saying is that if it were you in charge you wouldn't have bothered spending any time (or effort) recruiting Williams? That because after the fact you KNOW Gonzaga wasn't in his top 2 that it wasn't worth their time?

And no ... I hadn't read the comments from the kid's stepfather. I didn't feel the need to read anything after the decision was announced.
    I definitely would have gone after him after he re-opened his recruitment. I just would not have prioritized him above all other recruits and inform other recruits that Brandon Williams is our first priority and top target. I definitely would not have told Joe Cremo that and I definitely would not have moved Cremo's visit for Brandon Williams.

I definitely would have gone after him after he re-opened his recruitment. I just would not have prioritized him above all other recruits and inform other recruits that Brandon Williams is our first priority and top target. I definitely would not have told Joe Cremo that and I definitely would not have moved Cremo's visit for Brandon Williams.
    Then I’m afraid you know nothing about recruiting. Nor do any of us really.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    It was all or nothing. There were things that weren't even known by some of the coaches recruiting him. Can't use hindsight to dictate your feelings on something, unless you can gather enough of a sample size to establish a trend and then feel confident enough in applying that moving forward. Going after Brandon Williams was an important moment for this program. GU will have a possible 2-and-done in Zach Norvell, and depending on how Joel Ayayi pans out, you could have a second. Dominic Harris is right around the corner, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him bring another player or two with him. All of these things add up. At the rate he is developing (if continued) he will be a Burger Boy and the highest rated recruit in the history of the program. Breaking through stone is not an invent. It's a process. The raging river that is GU basketball will only be turned away for so long.

I don't know much about this kids at all, but a new transfer and as a 6'8 wing that is what caught my eye.

https://twitter.com/NYPost_Brazille/...30893282631680

https://247sports.com/player/boubacar-diakite-86971

Not even saying we will be looking, but just saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    These kind of posts offer little value to me. Apparently, you know nothing about recruiting but somehow you know as a certainty that I know nothing. If you have a theory share it. If you disagree with my position feel free to enlighten me on where I missed. Offer something more than we know nothing.