Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Maui, Maui, Maui....

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    That's exactly my point, it's not like the tournament is in Cleveland. Maui is paradise on earth, we went there for our honeymoon and absolutely loved it. To spend eight hours in doors in Maui is nuts, in my opinion of course
    I am ok to be called nuts
    Lots of time sunup to tipoff to walk beach with coffee
    Lots time from last game to catch sunset
    Days before and days after time to engage in water activities

Only one chance to see great games
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

If your only reason to go to Maui is to watch every single basketball game in Maui including the games that don't include GU or any interesting national contenders, I strongly recommend you consider staying home and spending your money to expand your digital cable or satellite sports package. The Lovely Mrs. '75 and I attend all the GU games in Maui and watch a few other games, but we also spend a lot of time on the beach or swimming or enjoying the beach front bars and restaurants or some "quiet time" (also known as vacation sex) in our condo.

Life is too short. Enjoy it before you die.

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

[QUOTE=75Zag;1387182]If your only reason to go to Maui is to watch every single basketball game in Maui including the games that don't include GU or any interesting national contenders, I strongly recommend you consider staying home and spending your money to expand your digital cable or satellite sports package. The Lovely Mrs. '75 and I attend all the GU games in Maui and watch a few other games, but we also spend a lot of time on the beach or swimming or enjoying the beach front bars and restaurants or some "quiet time" (also known as vacation sex) in our condo.

Thank you for your advise but will ignore it as I enjoy good basketball as much as some enjoy a quiet beach
    To each his own and life is too short so one should enjoy and engage in those activities one find enjoyment from
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by 75Zag View Post
    If your only reason to go to Maui is to watch every single basketball game in Maui including the games that don't include GU or any interesting national contenders, I strongly recommend you consider staying home and spending your money to expand your digital cable or satellite sports package. The Lovely Mrs. '75 and I attend all the GU games in Maui and watch a few other games, but we also spend a lot of time on the beach or swimming or enjoying the beach front bars and restaurants or some "quiet time" (also known as vacation sex) in our condo.

Go Bulldogs!
    Dude?!?!?!?!

Go Bulldogs!
    What a strange post. Pointless.
    "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

Go Bulldogs!
    My man!

Well bit the bullet last night and made my reservations for Maui. Did my own travel arrangements and got two more nights and it was half of the cost of the official trip but of course no tickets. Wife asked how I felt if we did not find tickets and said we would enjoy the sun but am so hoping we can find tickets to at least one of the games.

Just checked the site. They say Sold Out. What now?

As with most sporting events, tickets can be had if you try hard enough. Scalpers at the arena, StubHub, or check at the hotel where the team stays - i've known people who have gone and gotten tickets each of these three ways.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Just checked the site. They say Sold Out. What now?
    That's just for the entire package, which they gouge you anyway. Individual tickets go on sale in August:

Ticket-only packages for the 2018 Maui Jim Maui Invitational, based on availability, are scheduled to go on sale in August, 2018. At this time, tickets for the 2018 Maui Jim Maui Invitational are only available through All-Tournament or Booster Travel Packages. Visit mauiinvitational.com/travel for travel package details.

http://mauiinvitational.com/sports/2...806144303.aspx

That's just for the entire package, which they gouge you anyway. Individual tickets go on sale in August:

Ticket-only packages for the 2018 Maui Jim Maui Invitational, based on availability, are scheduled to go on sale in August, 2018. At this time, tickets for the 2018 Maui Jim Maui Invitational are only available through All-Tournament or Booster Travel Packages. Visit mauiinvitational.com/travel for travel package details.

http://mauiinvitational.com/sports/2...806144303.aspx
    Thanks, Spy. I realize that. What are the odds getting tix only in August? Between rich alums of Duke and Zona?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Thanks, Spy. I realize that. What are the odds getting tix only in August? Between rich alums of Duke and Zona?
    I'm not sure I'm following your question. In August the tickets will be available by following the link. There is no early sign-ups or anything like that it's just first come first serve I guess. So on the day that they become available just purchase them. Besides the rich Duke alums already bought the package.

If you have friends at one of the participating Schools, call em. They'll get tickets for you. I did.

All, airline availability is beginning to tighten up,even with flexibility on travel dates. I still have some post tournament hotel reservations to make in HNL, so I’ll soon learn about availability there. Any recommendations, on or off Waikiki?

"The Maui Invitational (Nov. 19-21) is back to being the best tournament of the non-conference with Arizona, Auburn, Duke, Gonzaga, Illinois, Iowa State, San Diego State and Xavier. There is no longer a spot in the main field for Chaminade. Here is how I would seed the field: 1. Gonzaga; 2. Duke; 3. Auburn; 4. Iowa State; 5. San Diego State; 6. Xavier; 7. Illinois; 8. Arizona. Wow. Think about this field for a second. In a given year these could be the top eight seeds in a regional. Gonzaga was my top pick for the pre-season Power 36. Duke will get plenty of love for being a top choice. But they still should be 1-2 in some order and be set up on opposite brackets for a possible Maui final."

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...ld-be-key-come

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    "The Maui Invitational (Nov. 19-21) is back to being the best tournament of the non-conference with Arizona, Auburn, Duke, Gonzaga, Illinois, Iowa State, San Diego State and Xavier. There is no longer a spot in the main field for Chaminade. Here is how I would seed the field: 1. Gonzaga; 2. Duke; 3. Auburn; 4. Iowa State; 5. San Diego State; 6. Xavier; 7. Illinois; 8. Arizona. Wow. Think about this field for a second. In a given year these could be the top eight seeds in a regional. Gonzaga was my top pick for the pre-season Power 36. Duke will get plenty of love for being a top choice. But they still should be 1-2 in some order and be set up on opposite brackets for a possible Maui final."

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...ld-be-key-come
    Pass the salt shaker it’s Cats.

Maui Invitational

@MauiInv
    Follow Follow @MauiInv
    More
    Hey @ZagMBB, will you be bringing the same heat to #MauiHoops as you did in 2005?

With the addition of Geno, ESPN is probably *dreaming* of a Duke/Gonzaga Maui final matchup. Not that they weren't before.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    With the addition of Geno, ESPN is probably *dreaming* of a Duke/Gonzaga Maui final matchup. Not that they weren't before.
    Bring em on! Especially early, before the young guys figure it out. That modern day Fab 5 could be rolling by March, but if Perks hits the ground running...we could win.

I want no part of Kentucky or Kansas, as they both feature experienced bigs who are strong, atheltic, & bigger than our guys. Defending either in the paint will be a superior challenge.
    "Rob plays with a high level of intensity when it's time, has a good time when it's not ... I love his enthusiasm and his zest for life. He picks us all up when he enters the gym."

-- Coach Few

What's going to be interesting to follow is who is going to get the #1 seed in Maui. Duke or GU? The #2 is going to get Auburn on their side of the bracket. The Tigers are a preseason top 10 team with many people.

Even the first round opponent won't be easy. Wouldn't it be funny if Gonzaga faces Arizona in the 1st round?? Brandon Williams vs. Geno Crandall. Now that's a storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    Bring em on! Especially early, before the young guys figure it out. That modern day Fab 5 could be rolling by March, but if Perks hits the ground running...we could win.

I want no part of Kentucky or Kansas, as they both feature experienced bigs who are strong, atheltic, & bigger than our guys. Defending either in the paint will be a superior challenge.
    I expect Larsen to be improved this year and back to the from he showed in MSG. Petrosev has been playing on a stage so, while he doesn't have the size, he is experienced.

Many times smaller, quicker and more mobile bigs can outplay the others, especially if they can draw them out of the paint.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

This is certainly a Maui Invitational that has 8 teams that are either elite or great. I think Gonzaga has played 6, of the other teams, sometime in the Few Era and have given the Zags a rough time. I remember when Illinois beat the Zags at home when Illinois had a pretty good team. It was a great game (maybe ten years ago). Iowa St has been one of my favorite teams for the past 6 years. I love how they play the game. I think we beat them in a tournament last year or the year before. We have certainly had great games against Xavier, Arizona, San Diego St (I remember all too well how they beat us in K2, as did San Diego St). Both teams had an elite player who has very well in the NBA. We finally beat Xavier in the NCAA Tournament two years ago. Finally, I always look forward to beating Duke. We haven't beaten them yet, and we've had several chances. I don't remember playing Auburn. These teams are all Top Teams in the country. Every game will be tough, and exciting. This is a better tournament than PK80 I think.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post

Ok, I've been scolded several times by a few mods about trying to be less harsh in my posts and I accept and agree with their rebuke, but I've gotta be honest, the bolded part of your post infuriates me. It's so self loathing and reeks of an inferiority complex. To be the best you gotta beat the best, bring on Kentucky and Kansas!

Gonzaga has nothing to worry about when it comes to their frontcourt facing any other frontcourt in college basketball. Especially when you factor in Rui - a future lottery pick - who is likely to see time at the PF slot.

Ok, I've been scolded several times by a few mods about trying to be less harsh in my posts and I accept and agree with their rebuke, but I've gotta be honest, the bolded part of your post infuriates me. It's so self loathing and reeks of an inferiority complex. To be the best you gotta beat the best, bring on Kentucky and Kansas!
    Lighten up, Francis!

I’m at the DMV with my son, to get his learners permit. After an hour outside, we still have over 100 in front of us.

I’m staying entertained thanks to you all.