Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Not all teams happy with Zags remaining in WCC

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    Just did a little Wikipedia browsing. Still not understanding the excitement over SMC scheduling this game. Except for the distance, second-round NIT teams are about par for their course.

Taking nothing away from the new coach though. Looks to be doing great things.
    LSU is a preseason top 25 school this coming year. Cal is not. I dont understand what there isnt to see? SMC scheduling LSU in Vegas is far and away better.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsmoove View Post
    LSU is a preseason top 25 school this coming year. Cal is not. I dont understand what there isnt to see? SMC scheduling LSU in Vegas is far and away better.
    the term "digging in" mean anything to you?
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me."
    --R.A.H

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsmoove View Post
    Basketball logic says you're right and I'm crazy. But I've also seen "hot" coaches with talk-of-the-town recruiting classes come in and fall flat when the season tips off.

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    Basketball logic says you're right and I'm crazy. But I've also seen "hot" coaches with talk-of-the-town recruiting classes come in and fall flat when the season tips off.
    Very true dontzig. Anything can happen, that's why they play the games.

But I think you can make some educated guesses when comparing LSU TO Cal:

Per Kenpom, LSU WAS #66 with a new Coach & his 1st group of commits & now add a second strong group.

Cal was #244. Not sure that their recruiting class will be anywhere near as good, even with Brown.

Cal's Kenpom was dead last by a long ways to WSU's 186. And by comparison, it's 10 spots behind #234 LMU.

Cal is a long way off. LSU is not.
    "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in..."

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Very true dontzig. Anything can happen, that's why they play the games.

But I think you can make some educated guesses when comparing LSU TO Cal:

Per Kenpom, LSU WAS #66 with a new Coach & his 1st group of commits & now add a second strong group.

Cal was #244. Not sure that their recruiting class will be anywhere near as good, even with Brown.

Cal's Kenpom was dead last by a long ways to WSU's 186. And by comparison, it's 10 spots behind #234 LMU.

Cal is a long way off. LSU is not.
    It's becoming more and more clear that I flat missed the evolution of a potential SEC powerhouse not Kentucky. I guess the casual fan owes him/herself some time to see what LSU is made of.

I didn't really know much about LSU either, dontzig. But I did know Cal was in bad shape & just went from there.

I keep tabs of the WCC pretty closely, the Pac-12 a bit.

The rest = hit & miss.
    "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in..."

If GU had departed for WCC, we would have left about $7M in earned NCAA Tourney shares behind with the WCC. Presumably that $7M would have gone to the remaining WCC schools. I wonder if that might be part of the reason some were not happy we stayed.