Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kansas & N.C. State tied into FBI’s college basketball probe, new indictments issued

Default Kansas & N.C. State tied into FBI’s college basketball probe, new indictments issued

*NOTE* - this is a developing story that just came out. More to come..........

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.d9357632601e

Two Adidas officials and an aspiring NBA agent paid the parents of players to ensure their commitments to Kansas and North Carolina State, according to court documents unsealed in New York late Tuesday.

The allegations — which came in an indictment adding charges against Adidas global marketing director Jim Gatto, Adidas independent contractor Merl Code, and agent hopeful Christian Dawkins — drag two more top schools into the ongoing Justice Department probe of college basketball’s shadow economy.

The three men had faced one wire fraud charge connected to allegations they conspired the pay the parents of players to attend Louisville and Miami, both Adidas-sponsored schools, and to sign with Adidas when they turned professional. The new indictment outlines similar allegations involving unnamed parents and players who ultimately attended Kansas and North Carolina State.

Prosecutors say an Adidas representative agreed to pay $90,000 to the family of a Kansas recruit and $40,000 to a recruit at North Carolina State.

Prosecutors say money helped secure the players' commitments to play college basketball at the schools and ensured the North Carolina State recruit signed an Adidas sponsorship deal when he entered the NBA. He entered the draft last June.

In the Kansas case, the student-athlete made a surprise announcement last August to attend the school.

Who is the Kansas recruit?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...sketball-probe

David McCormack
    Signed Kansas 09/24/2017

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/b...avid-mccormack

https://www.aseaofblue.com/2018/4/10...ops-corruption

It’s been a while since the last bombshell from the FBI investigation into college basketball corruption.

Well, another big one just dropped, and it features the Kansas Jayhawks, and it may involved breakout freshman Silvio De Sousa.

Attorney Robert S. Khuzami announced the filing of a superseding indictment against Adidas executives James Gatto and Merl Code, as well as Christian Dawkins. It involves payments being made to players being recruited to the University of Kansas, North Carolina State University, the University of Louisville and the University of Miami.

I think a lot is gonna come out over the summer

Question: will the NCAA do anything to punish coaches and schools who are legitimately involved? Or will they just head for the bunker and hide....embarrassed at their failures. Either that or just issue slaps on the wrist.

I would guess that the problem is going to be to big to punish everyone without killing the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Question: will the NCAA do anything to punish coaches and schools who are legitimately involved? Or will they just head for the bunker and hide....embarrassed at their failures. Either that or just issue slaps on the wrist.
    I think it depends on what they think is going to happen. If they foresee the Fed’s willing to allow them some saving of face, they may just step up and make things happen. If the Fed’s are going to drop the hammer, themselves, then they may just step back and do nothing. And honestly, why would they, in that scenario? Do you give a body that has been put through the electric chair, a public lashing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They’ll all embrace the Seannie Miller defense, righteous indignation and a couple million bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagzKrak View Post
    I would guess that the problem is going to be to big to punish everyone without killing the sport.
    That raises the possibility that the small schools that have been punished will take the NCAA to court for unequal treatment of schools.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

Too big too FAIL....nothing to see move along

I personally never buy Adidas anymore.

They helped usher in the culture of corruption within the soccer world by bribing and giving kick backs to FIFA officials from the 80s onward. They bribed their way to hosting the 2008 world cup.
    They are now in deep with this NCAA mess.

Nike isn't clean either, fyi.

Quote Originally Posted by asoc View Post

They helped usher in the culture of corruption within the soccer world by bribing and giving kick backs to FIFA officials from the 80s onward. They bribed their way to hosting the 2008 world cup.

Yep! I don't roll with adidas, nike, underarmour or any of those biggies. Of course, I am not a competitive athlete anymore, so no skin off mine.
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

L.A. Gear!

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    L.A. Gear!
    Brilliant! 🤠

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What about Sketchers?

P F Flyers - a la benny the jet

Quote Originally Posted by asoc View Post

Most countries call it “business”....America is the exception

any old timers remember Converse?

Big baller brand ;-)

I hope more results of the investigation come to light. It is super unfair for colleges that are not involved in this to have to compete with schools that participate in recruiting in this way. Also if more comes to light there will be some top recruits and their families that want to choose elite schools that are clean. Consider me naive, but I believe Coach Few would never touch a situation like this. It is possible it could help our recruiting some day, if the whole investigation comes out in the open.
    More coming to light would also highlight the fact that only SOME not ALL NCAA schools will involve themselves with sponsors this way.

another link, https://www.yahoo.com/sports/new-fed...234400184.html

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post

Black, low cut Cons. But the world changed w the introduction of Adidas Superstars. Half canvas, half leather, multiple colors, highs and lows, the playground was never the same. Cherished em.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post

On my HS teams, we wore white high-top Chuck Taylors. The look was accentuated with white (with green stripes) knee high socks, secured at the top with white adhesive tape.

My mom couldn't understand why we paid that much money for a pair of "sneakers" and socks. lol...peer pressure is a constant through history.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    That raises the possibility that the small schools that have been punished will take the NCAA to court for unequal treatment of schools.
    Pacific should be the first school to lawyer up.

It's high time to name names...everyone knows the NC State player who took money is Dennis Smith, now playing with the Dallas Mavericks. He's rapidly becoming a favorite son in the Metroplex, and not one local writer has asked him any questions about the money he took at NC State. All 3 local sports talk stations are silent, too. Understandable, considering how irrelevant the Mavericks are.

Cuban has one more year of riding Dirk's coattails, as Dirk announced yesterday his plans to return for one more year. After that, it's o-v-e-r for the Mavs.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Pacific should be the first school to lawyer up.

It's high time to name names...everyone knows the NC State player who took money is Dennis Smith, now playing with the Dallas Mavericks. He's rapidly becoming a favorite son in the Metroplex, and not one local writer has asked him any questions about the money he took at NC State. All 3 local sports talk stations are silent, too. Understandable, considering how irrelevant the Mavericks are.

Cuban has one more year of riding Dirk's coattails, as Dirk announced yesterday his plans to return for one more year. After that, it's o-v-e-r for the Mavs.
    Cuban himself has jumped the shark, IMO. Literally. His recent behavior on the show is inexcusable. He's showing his arrogance and impatience with contemporaries. Time for MC to take his sweaty, heaving, chesty body and leave the national stage. Go, do some good work w your jillions.