Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Media Rights Deal

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    $5/month to watch us destroy inferior competition? I don't think that's a good business model at all.
    Sheesh. I'll venmo you the money.
    "My golf is woeful, but I will never surrender."--Bing Crosby

Any other DirecTV subscribers notice that they’ve added the Scientology channel? Pretty sure we’re dumping it soon.

I’m thinking of giving Sling a try. Anyone know if you can get all the ESPN channels there?
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousZ View Post
    Any other DirecTV subscribers notice that they’ve added the Scientology channel? Pretty sure we’re dumping it soon.

I’m thinking of giving Sling a try. Anyone know if you can get all the ESPN channels there?
    I used Sling, but it didn't have ESPNU (it had all the others) so I switched to HuluTV. It had all the ESPN channels, though it's $10/mo more.

Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousZ View Post

Quote Originally Posted by PCZ_Frites View Post
    I used Sling, but it didn't have ESPNU (it had all the others) so I switched to HuluTV. It had all the ESPN channels, though it's $10/mo more.
    I have Sling and during the basketball season I pay the extra $5 for the sports add-on, which has ESPNU. It also has the SEC network, plus the PAC12 channels. Plus several other non-mainstream sport feeds.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
    Those who understand binary and those who do not.
    "Only a madman or an economist thinks exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world."

Func FOO

E .· ` ' / ·. F
    The FOO fuels me.

Quote Originally Posted by a13coach View Post
    I have Sling and during the basketball season I pay the extra $5 for the sports add-on, which has ESPNU. It also has the SEC network, plus the PAC12 channels. Plus several other non-mainstream sport feeds.
    I would gladly use sling or hulu, but neither carry Root Sports, so I can't see the M's games.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by HillZag View Post
    Sheesh. I'll venmo you the money.
    You realize that could be $20 or even more for the Conference.....not everyone can spend that kind of money...

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I would gladly use sling or hulu, but neither carry Root Sports, so I can't see the M's games.
    Yes that is a big draw back of Sling, no M's. But it also means that I don't have to put up with Husky homerism on Root.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
    Those who understand binary and those who do not.
    "Only a madman or an economist thinks exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world."

Func FOO

E .· ` ' / ·. F
    The FOO fuels me.

Quote Originally Posted by a13coach View Post
    What kind of online access do you get with Sling ESPN?
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    What kind of online access do you get with Sling ESPN?
    I, too, use Sling and paid the extra $5 for the basketball regular season & WCC tournament. If you go this route you'll get all the ESPN channels on your streaming devices through Sling.tv plus access to ESPN360 (WatchESPN). Its worth it, plus the ability to cancel after the regular season is a plus. There were definitely several games that weren't broadcast on ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU but were available on WatchESPN. I don't think I missed any games this season and I live in NJ.

The only downside is that with Sling you CANNOT record the game; for some reason Disney will not let you record any ESPN/ABC/family of networks.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    I, too, use Sling and paid the extra $5 for the basketball regular season & WCC tournament. If you go this route you'll get all the ESPN channels on your streaming devices through Sling.tv plus access to ESPN360 (WatchESPN). Its worth it, plus the ability to cancel after the regular season is a plus. There were definitely several games that weren't broadcast on ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU but were available on WatchESPN. I don't think I missed any games this season and I live in NJ.

The only downside is that with Sling you CANNOT record the game; for some reason Disney will not let you record any ESPN/ABC/family of networks.
    Hmmm. Being on the East Coast, I record most of the games since they are on so late.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

I think the angle of this that most people arent even discussing is what kind of financial future will WatchESPN afford the Zags if the WCC moves to a streaming only platform? Im sure there will be some major network games sprinkled in, especially for the Zags, but will an agreement like this destroy the WCCs TV revenue? or perhaps will this increase its revenue? I guess without knowing the monetary terms of the Ivy League agreement with ESPN or what membership looks like it would be hard to project future TV revenue. Seems risky to me though.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsmoove View Post
    I think the angle of this that most people arent even discussing is what kind of financial future will WatchESPN afford the Zags if the WCC moves to a streaming only platform? Im sure there will be some major network games sprinkled in, especially for the Zags, but will an agreement like this destroy the WCCs TV revenue? or perhaps will this increase its revenue? I guess without knowing the monetary terms of the Ivy League agreement with ESPN or what membership looks like it would be hard to project future TV revenue. Seems risky to me though.
    It is my understanding that the WCC and Gonzaga don't really make that much from their TV deal. What they get is exposure. I believe CDC has said previously stated that the Root deal is more valuable, but I could be mistaken.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    It is my understanding that the WCC and Gonzaga don't really make that much from their TV deal. What they get is exposure. I believe CDC has said previously stated that the Root deal is more valuable, but I could be mistaken.
    I know i read that the Zags used to get about $500k from the WCC annually, is that just based on tourney shares? No TV $$$ from the ESPN deal are in that?

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsmoove View Post
    I know i read that the Zags used to get about $500k from the WCC annually, is that just based on tourney shares? No TV $$$ from the ESPN deal are in that?
    I asked Mr Google and he had lots of information dating back to when the present contract was signed. Alas, I couldn't find a mention of $$$$s. Somewhere I got the idea that GU makes in excess of $200,000 and the other members make in excess of $100,000, perhaps BYU a little more.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.