Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 39 of 39

Thread: New Media Rights Deal

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    $5/month to watch us destroy inferior competition? I don't think that's a good business model at all.
    Sheesh. I'll venmo you the money.
    "My golf is woeful, but I will never surrender."--Bing Crosby

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Spo Vegas
    Posts
    2,409

    Default

    Any other DirecTV subscribers notice that they’ve added the Scientology channel? Pretty sure we’re dumping it soon.

    I’m thinking of giving Sling a try. Anyone know if you can get all the ESPN channels there?
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

  3. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousZ View Post
    Any other DirecTV subscribers notice that they’ve added the Scientology channel? Pretty sure we’re dumping it soon.

    I’m thinking of giving Sling a try. Anyone know if you can get all the ESPN channels there?
    I used Sling, but it didn't have ESPNU (it had all the others) so I switched to HuluTV. It had all the ESPN channels, though it's $10/mo more.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Somewhere between pain and pleasure
    Posts
    3,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousZ View Post
    Any other DirecTV subscribers notice that they’ve added the Scientology channel? Pretty sure we’re dumping it soon.

    I’m thinking of giving Sling a try. Anyone know if you can get all the ESPN channels there?
    Quote Originally Posted by PCZ_Frites View Post
    I used Sling, but it didn't have ESPNU (it had all the others) so I switched to HuluTV. It had all the ESPN channels, though it's $10/mo more.
    I have Sling and during the basketball season I pay the extra $5 for the sports add-on, which has ESPNU. It also has the SEC network, plus the PAC12 channels. Plus several other non-mainstream sport feeds.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
    Those who understand binary and those who do not.
    "Only a madman or an economist thinks exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world."

    Func FOO

    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    The FOO fuels me.


  5. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    8,631

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a13coach View Post
    I have Sling and during the basketball season I pay the extra $5 for the sports add-on, which has ESPNU. It also has the SEC network, plus the PAC12 channels. Plus several other non-mainstream sport feeds.
    I would gladly use sling or hulu, but neither carry Root Sports, so I can't see the M's games.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,973

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HillZag View Post
    Sheesh. I'll venmo you the money.
    You realize that could be $20 or even more for the Conference.....not everyone can spend that kind of money...

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Somewhere between pain and pleasure
    Posts
    3,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I would gladly use sling or hulu, but neither carry Root Sports, so I can't see the M's games.
    Yes that is a big draw back of Sling, no M's. But it also means that I don't have to put up with Husky homerism on Root.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
    Those who understand binary and those who do not.
    "Only a madman or an economist thinks exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world."

    Func FOO

    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    The FOO fuels me.


  8. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    17,064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a13coach View Post
    I have Sling and during the basketball season I pay the extra $5 for the sports add-on, which has ESPNU. It also has the SEC network, plus the PAC12 channels. Plus several other non-mainstream sport feeds.
    What kind of online access do you get with Sling ESPN?
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

    ________________________________



    Foo Time

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    What kind of online access do you get with Sling ESPN?
    I, too, use Sling and paid the extra $5 for the basketball regular season & WCC tournament. If you go this route you'll get all the ESPN channels on your streaming devices through Sling.tv plus access to ESPN360 (WatchESPN). Its worth it, plus the ability to cancel after the regular season is a plus. There were definitely several games that weren't broadcast on ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU but were available on WatchESPN. I don't think I missed any games this season and I live in NJ.

    The only downside is that with Sling you CANNOT record the game; for some reason Disney will not let you record any ESPN/ABC/family of networks.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    17,064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    I, too, use Sling and paid the extra $5 for the basketball regular season & WCC tournament. If you go this route you'll get all the ESPN channels on your streaming devices through Sling.tv plus access to ESPN360 (WatchESPN). Its worth it, plus the ability to cancel after the regular season is a plus. There were definitely several games that weren't broadcast on ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU but were available on WatchESPN. I don't think I missed any games this season and I live in NJ.

    The only downside is that with Sling you CANNOT record the game; for some reason Disney will not let you record any ESPN/ABC/family of networks.
    Hmmm. Being on the East Coast, I record most of the games since they are on so late.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

    ________________________________



    Foo Time

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,200

    Default

    I think the angle of this that most people arent even discussing is what kind of financial future will WatchESPN afford the Zags if the WCC moves to a streaming only platform? Im sure there will be some major network games sprinkled in, especially for the Zags, but will an agreement like this destroy the WCCs TV revenue? or perhaps will this increase its revenue? I guess without knowing the monetary terms of the Ivy League agreement with ESPN or what membership looks like it would be hard to project future TV revenue. Seems risky to me though.

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oklafriggenhoma
    Posts
    7,682

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsmoove View Post
    I think the angle of this that most people arent even discussing is what kind of financial future will WatchESPN afford the Zags if the WCC moves to a streaming only platform? Im sure there will be some major network games sprinkled in, especially for the Zags, but will an agreement like this destroy the WCCs TV revenue? or perhaps will this increase its revenue? I guess without knowing the monetary terms of the Ivy League agreement with ESPN or what membership looks like it would be hard to project future TV revenue. Seems risky to me though.
    It is my understanding that the WCC and Gonzaga don't really make that much from their TV deal. What they get is exposure. I believe CDC has said previously stated that the Root deal is more valuable, but I could be mistaken.
    Birddog

    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    It is my understanding that the WCC and Gonzaga don't really make that much from their TV deal. What they get is exposure. I believe CDC has said previously stated that the Root deal is more valuable, but I could be mistaken.
    I know i read that the Zags used to get about $500k from the WCC annually, is that just based on tourney shares? No TV $$$ from the ESPN deal are in that?

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oklafriggenhoma
    Posts
    7,682

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsmoove View Post
    I know i read that the Zags used to get about $500k from the WCC annually, is that just based on tourney shares? No TV $$$ from the ESPN deal are in that?
    I asked Mr Google and he had lots of information dating back to when the present contract was signed. Alas, I couldn't find a mention of $$$$s. Somewhere I got the idea that GU makes in excess of $200,000 and the other members make in excess of $100,000, perhaps BYU a little more.
    Birddog

    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •