Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Media Rights Deal

Default New Media Rights Deal

ESPN and the Ivy League just announced a 10 year deal to air all 1100 sporting events on their new premium ESPN+ platform for a subscription fee of $4.99 a month. Do you think the new WCC ESPN deal might mirror this?

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/s...g-events-espn+

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsmoove View Post
    ESPN and the Ivy League just announced a 10 year deal to air all 1100 sporting events on their new premium ESPN+ platform for a subscription fee of $4.99 a month. Do you think the new WCC ESPN deal might mirror this?

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/s...g-events-espn+
    Great breakthrough. And starting from the top.

Man, this would be fantastic. GU games are 100% the reason I have had a cable subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by GUDan07 View Post
    Man, this would be fantastic. GU games are 100% the reason I have had a cable subscription.
    $5/month to watch us destroy inferior competition? I don't think that's a good business model at all.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    $5/month to watch us destroy inferior competition? I don't think that's a good business model at all.
    Its a good model for me - I've been saying for a long time that I would have no problem whatsoever shelling out money to watch the Zags on a single consistently quality platform. The best part is you can just cancel after the regular season/WCC tournament are over until the next season!

If this is what ESPN is settling for, they are really hurting.

If you can’t find other reasons to watch each game then you could consider routing for a different team in a more interesting league and sparing us from having to read comments like the above. I feel like I’m being trolled and I don’t understand where you are coming from at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    If you can’t find other reasons to watch each game then you could consider routing for a different team in a more interesting league and sparing us from having to read comments like the above. I feel like I’m being trolled and I don’t understand where you are coming from at all.
    Totally agree. You don’t seem to enjoy much of anything Spy guy. Pre season number 1 seed. So stupid!! All the WCC you can handle, terrible idea. Root for a different team or conference.

Ah yes, the inevitable, "I'm a better fan than you" post. Never gets old. My apologies for having an opinion that differs from yours. I'll do better next time, I promise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tmac5360 View Post
    Totally agree. You don’t seem to enjoy much of anything Spy guy. Pre season number 1 seed. So stupid!! All the WCC you can handle, terrible idea. Root for a different team or conference.
    Please forgive me for not thinking the same way you do about a particular subject. I will try and do better next time, I promise.

Ah yes, the inevitable, "I'm a better fan than you" post. Never gets old. My apologies for having an opinion that differs from yours. I'll do better next time, I promise.
    Nobody said they are better than you. Just tired of you #####ing about everything. Including how we are better fans than you. Nobody said that, At All.

Quote Originally Posted by Tmac5360 View Post
    Nobody said they are better than you. Just tired of you #####ing about everything. Including how we are better fans than you. Nobody said that, At All.
    Implying that someone root for a different team simply because they don't agree with you on a particular subject is saying just that. But you have shown me the error of my ways, and I'm sorry for having a differing opinion and will try to do better next time. I promise.

I didn’t say that I’m a better fan than you. You definitely are a different type of fan than me. Maybe you are the norm and I am an outlier. If I am way off base I am willing to accept that. I don’t want to pile on, but will just say that my perception is that you have a great deal of frustration due to trying to fit a round GU peg into the square hole of what you wish they were.

I didn’t say that I’m a better fan than you. You definitely are a different type of fan than me. Maybe you are the norm and I am an outlier. If I am way off base I am willing to accept that. I don’t want to pile on, but will just say that my perception is that you have a great deal of frustration due to trying to fit a round GU peg into the square hole of what you wish they were.
    What are you talking about? Have you not seen my incessant threads about the pundits loving us, or the fact that we'ere one of the "big boys", etc? Confirmation bias allows us to see what we want.

My goodness, when will you give it a rest?

Disney's CEO Iger is investing billions in streaming (BAM) and on the advice of Board Members like Sandberg and Dorsey...

They will build their own international platform....they have the content and they have the capital.... the cord/cable cutting is creating dozens of independent platforms...... and I suspect ESPN will dominate sports streaming with exclusive contracts with Conferences....

With a variety of pay for view options and monthly contracts in the less than $10 ....range.....

You will be able to watch what you want and not have to pay for the Jesus Networks and Shopping Networks...unless of course you like that stuff...

Edited to add that ESPN is a $25 Billion segment of Disney.....and I have about 200 channels on cable...watch about 10 of them...
    Last edited by bartruff1; 04-06-2018 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    My goodness, when will you give it a rest?
    if Rui and Tillie are both back...not soon

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    if Rui and Tillie are both back...not soon
    ha, no kidding. I wonder what they record is for average margin of victory vs conference foes. I feel bad for our conference mates if we bring everyone back.

ha, no kidding. I wonder what they record is for average margin of victory vs conference foes. I feel bad for our conference mates if we bring everyone back.
    I believe it was 33/game by LMU back in their hayday?

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Crazy View Post
    Really? That's nuts

If this is what ESPN is settling for, they are really hurting.
    They might not have a choice. They are a subsidiary of Disney and cable viewership continues to decline. Depending on how much per subscriber they get from cable companies this model could work just fine and maybe they will hire Andy Katz back. Gonzaga will probably be ten bucks per month.

They totally should have changed conferences.

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    They totally should have changed conferences.
    But we don't play nobody.

Thank you!
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

12 Straight Round of 32s

11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.