• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Norwester
    Kennel Club Material
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Coach Crazy View Post
    Care 0% about the Academic AA's.
    This puts you at odds with the University President, the Athletic Director, the coaching staff, the athletic department staff, the board of trustees, major donors, and most Zags.
    Last edited by Norwester; 04-02-2018, 01:22 PM.

Comment

• SWZag
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
      I think the most impressive achievement of all is the athletic department’s collective graduation rate, which is currently tied for best in the nation.

https://www.gonzaga.edu/news-events/...n-success-rate
      Outstanding!! Thanks for the article, I was looking for that.

The NCAA Graduation Success Rate tracks degree completion for student-athletes, even those who transfer. Some data from the NCAA in terms of Graduation Success Rates (GSR) (overall - all sports) for Western Conferences:

* WCC Schools in Blue

Top in the West (Overall GSR):
      School: Overall GSR
      1) Gonzaga: 99
      2t) Portland: 97
      2t) Stanford: 97
      4) Seattle: 95
      5) LMU: 92
      6t) Saint Mary’s: 91
      6t) Santa Clara: 91
      6t) Utah State: 91
      9t) San Diego: 90
      9t) Utah: 90

Top in the West (Men’s Basketball GSR):
      School: Men’s Basketball GSR
      1t) Gonzaga: 100
      1t) Santa Clara: 100
      1t) Northern Arizona: 100
      1t) Stanford: 100
      1t) Arizona: 100
      1t) Utah: 100
      7) Seattle: 95
      8t) Portland: 93
      8t) Colorado State: 93
      8t) Arizona State: 93

By Conference:
      West Coast Conference:
      School: Overall GSR, Basketball GSR
      - Gonzaga: 99, 100
      - Portland: 97, 93
      - LMU: 92, 77
      - Santa Clara: 91, 100
      - Saint Mary’s: 91, 81
      - San Diego: 90, 64
      - Pacific: 89, 89
      - Pepperdine: 89, 77
      - San Francisco: 87, 45
      - BYU: 78, 67

Mountain West Conference:
      - Utah State: 91, 78
      - Air Force: 88, 79
      - Boise State: 87, 86
      - Colorado State: 84, 93
      - Wyoming: 82, 71
      - Nevada: 81, 73
      - Fresno State: 81, 73
      - New Mexico: 80, 85
      - San Jose State: 80, 33
      - San Diego State: 79, 50
      - UNLV: 76, 75

Pac-12 Conference:
      - Stanford: 97, 100
      - Utah: 90, 100
      - Colorado: 88, 85
      - Arizona State: 87, 93
      - Washington: 86, 92
      - USC: 86, 50
      - UCLA: 86, 44
      - Arizona: 84, 100
      - Cal: 81, 50
      - Oregon: 81, 38
      - Washington State: 80, 59
      - Oregon State: 78, 67

Western Athletic Conference:
      - Seattle: 95, 95
      - Missouri - Kansas City: 88, 76
      - Texas - Rio Grande Valley: 78, 77
      - Grand Canyon University: 78, 71
      - Cal State - Bakersfield: 75, 87
      - New Mexico State: 75, 60
      - Utah Valley: 74, 67
      - Chicago State: 73, 59

Big West Conference:
      - UC - Irvine: 88, 83
      - UC - Davis: 87, 69
      - Long Beach State: 86, 86
      - Hawaii: 85, 64
      - UC - Santa Barbara: 83, 56
      - Cal Poly - San Luis Obispo: 80, 75
      - Cal State - Northridge: 79, 71
      - UC - Riverside: 78, 59
      - Cal State - Fullerton: 76, 75

Big Sky Conference:
      - Northern Colorado: 86, 73
      - Northern Arizona: 85, 100
      - North Dakota: 83, 79
      - Montana State: 83, 57
      - Idaho State: 81, 86
      - Montana: 80, 82
      - Southern Utah: 80, 70
      - Eastern Washington: 78, 75
      - Weber State: 77, 91
      - Sacramento State: 77, 86
      - Idaho: 75, 78
      - Portland State: 74, 81

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Comment

• jazzdelmar
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Given the conference, the 20 years dancing is least impressive. The academic all Americans belongs in its own category as Spy would concede. The 10 opening wins is nice but again GU generally gets high seeds due in part to the weak conference. The 3 straight S16s is dynamite. Isn’t it 4 straight? The KW layup to Dook, the dream season w the Josh floater, the Collins fiasco and this year? No? That’s E8, S16 to Cuse, THE NC and to the FSU thugs?

Ed: Scratch all that. I counted one too few “backs.” Three straight E8s would have been nice, too.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
          You care 0% about academics? That seems very un-coach-like.
          He just plays one on this board.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by rennis View Post
            Q: How many Bill Walton Double Doubles does the MWC have?

A: No less than they did before.

hahahahahahaa
            QED.

Comment

• gonzagafan62
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Coach Crazy View Post
              Care 0% about the Academic AA's. The 4 Sweet 16's is a testament to the rise of this program, and it bolsters the 20-year appearance streak.
              Huh??????
              Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• surfmonkey89
                Not Roy Orbison
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Norwester View Post
                This puts you at odds with the University President, the Athletic Director, the coaching staff, the athletic department staff, the board of trustees, major donors, and most Zags.
                It's also the attitude of big money boosters at major universities, that ends up in sanctions. Thankfully, our administration doesn't abide.

Comment

• DZ
                  Zag for Life
                  • Sep 2007

The fact that you can do all the team has done w/ the academic accolades (including graduation rate) is phenomenal, so it is hard to hear of one without thinking of the other.

Jazz rightly points to it being easier bc of the conference to get the 20 straight, that's just truth. But, the easier conference in basketball wasn't as easy a conference w/ respect to academics, and we've all seen that teams can essentially hire mercenaries that have no interest in going to class, never mind graduating. I also am not sure I am buying that we got higher seeds bc of the easier conference, not sure about that over the course of the last 10 years. It's worth looking at, just not sure.

I always thought the 10 straight first game wins was the most impressive, and appreciate it even more after this year. But, 4 straight Sweet Sixteens or better, while graduating our players with the same core all of us took, that has likely displaced the 10 year thing.

Great thread, GZ.
                  Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                  Mark Twain.

Comment

• Hoopaholic
                    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
                    The fact that you can do all the team has done w/ the academic accolades (including graduation rate) is phenomenal, so it is hard to hear of one without thinking of the other.

Jazz rightly points to it being easier bc of the conference to get the 20 straight, that's just truth. But, the easier conference in basketball wasn't as easy a conference w/ respect to academics, and we've all seen that teams can essentially hire mercenaries that have no interest in going to class, never mind graduating. I also am not sure I am buying that we got higher seeds bc of the easier conference, not sure about that over the course of the last 10 years. It's worth looking at, just not sure.

I always thought the 10 straight first game wins was the most impressive, and appreciate it even more after this year. But, 4 straight Sweet Sixteens or better, while graduating our players with the same core all of us took, that has likely displaced the 10 year thing.

Great thread, GZ.
                    So jazz and Dixie if it is so easy because of a league affiliation why has no other team in the many many lesser leagues done it yet or even say 6 in row?
                    The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• Coach Crazy
                      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Hoopaholic View Post
                      So jazz and Dixie if it is so easy because of a league affiliation why has no other team in the many many lesser leagues done it yet or even say 6 in row?
                      It's not easy, even in lesser leagues. People don't like admitting this, but lesser leagues also come with lesser econsystem's with regard to the talent of personnel, players, and the quality of economics. And when you do find the diamonds in the rough, they tend to move upward more and more these days. Inconsistency is far more likely when the variables are that shaky. Few and Co. have been able to battle against that current and find success where no other program in their position has.

Comment

• RenoZag
                        Super Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

I voted for the 20 consecutive years of NCAA tourney appearances. There were a few seasons when the Zags had their backs against the wall and managed to go dancing.

IMG should put out a new DVD and call it "Two Decades of Excellence."

The other choices in the poll are also noteworthy. If someone wants to diss the academic achievements, that's their right.
                        Last edited by RenoZag; 04-02-2018, 06:36 PM. Reason: sp
                        The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• 23dpg
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Four great options but I went with 10 straight NCAA wins.

A few of those were against better seeds but it also helped get rid of the bs argument that the Zags underperformed in the tourney. Every other schools except Kansas has either missed the tourney or lost a first round game in that span. And the Jayhawks have been given 1 or 2 seeds in all but one of those years as memory serves.
                          Birds aren’t real.

Comment

• raise the zag
                            Zag for Life
                            • May 2011

Few was quoted and said himself...he is most impressed with winning at least one game for 10 straight years.

I'm going with that...

He said its just so darn hard to win games in March.

He also said the 20 consecutive appearances is what he is most "proud of".

So...he felt the 10 straight years of winning at least one game was most impressive, yet most proud of the 20 straight appearances.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by 23dpg View Post
                              Four great options but I went with 10 straight NCAA wins.

A few of those were against better seeds but it also helped get rid of the bs argument that the Zags underperformed in the tourney. Every other schools except Kansas has either missed the tourney or lost a first round game in that span. And the Jayhawks have been given 1 or 2 seeds in all but one of those years as memory serves.
                              I didn't vote, because they're all great options. Bill Walton's 3 years as an academic AA stands out with me as a notable accomplishment.

Comment

• Bing
                                Kennel Club Material
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
                                I didn't vote, because they're all great options. Bill Walton's 3 years as an academic AA stands out with me as a notable accomplishment.
                                Walton's accomplishments (3x) were remarkable as evidenced by the fact that only six guys have done it in the last 20 years. That three of those six are Zags is phenomenal, and is the reason I voted it as most impressive. But I would have voted "All of the above" including grad rates if it had been an option.
                                gobroncsgozags: "Have a great day in the podunk, crap hole known as Roslyn."

Comment

Working...
                                X