• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GoZags
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Which is most impressive ???

The Zags are in the middle of a few awesome streaks/achievements. Which do you find the most impressive?

1. The entire list of NCAA D1 schools (out of 351) who have made it to the Sweet 16 and beyond the past 4 seasons: Gonzaga

2. The entire list of NCAA D1 schools (out of 351) who have one at least one game in the dance the past 10 seasons: Kansas, Gonzaga

3. The entire list of NCAA D1 schools (out of 351) who have made it to the dance the past 20 seasons: Duke, Kansas, Michigan State Gonzaga

4. Over the past 20 years, a grand total of 6 players have achieved the "Bill Walton Double/Double" (Top 5 Academic All American and Top 5 All American in the same season). Walton did it three times. Here is the list: Shane Battier - Duke (2001) Dan Dickau - Gonzaga (2002) Emeka Okafor - UConn (2004) D.J. Augustine - Texas (2008) Kelly Olynyk - Gonzaga (2013) Nigel Williams-Goss - Gonzaga (2017) Thus .... half of these guys are Zags.
    Back to Back to Back to Back Sweet 16 and beyond
    25.49%
    Winning an NCAA tournament game in each of the past 10 seasons
    12.75%
    20 straight years of dancing
    26.47%
    Half of the Top 5 Academic All Americans/Basketball All Americans are Zags
    35.29%
    sigpic
    “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
    Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.
  • Birddog
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Those are really tough choices. It is a little like saying "pick your favorite child", I went with the double AA's. Do you feed this stuff to the announcers before each game? You are like our very own SID on this site, thanks for that.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• GoZags
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

I "could" have change the verbiage to "which of these are you most 'proud' of"?

I went with the All Americans as well.

Interesting side note .... in their history Gonzaga Basketball has had a total of 16 Academic All Americans (1st team, 2nd team, 3rd team) including one Academic All American of the year (Jeff Brown).

OTOH, the University of Washington has had a Grand Total of 1 (one). That was Nigel Williams-Goss when he made 3rd team as a soph. 16 to 1. Kinda like our recent winning record against the Huskies.
      sigpic
      “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
      ——-
      List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
      Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• Ekrub
        Zag for Life
        • Dec 2009

Keep pumping out those double AAs and those other achievements will follow

Comment

• GeorgiaZagFan
          Zag for Life
          • Dec 2007

..as a basketball team I believe the 4 straight S16 and beyond is very impressive...as a complete program the AA achievements are equally as impressive...
          It's What You learn AFTER You Know It All That Counts

Comment

• bigblahla
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
            The Zags are in the middle of a few awesome streaks/achievements. Which do you find the most impressive?

1. The entire list of NCAA D1 schools (out of 351) who have made it to the Sweet 16 and beyond the past 4 seasons: Gonzaga

2. The entire list of NCAA D1 schools (out of 351) who have one at least one game in the dance the past 10 seasons: Kansas, Gonzaga

3. The entire list of NCAA D1 schools (out of 351) who have made it to the dance the past 20 seasons: Duke, Kansas, Michigan State Gonzaga

4. Over the past 20 years, a grand total of 6 players have achieved the "Bill Walton Double/Double" (Top 5 Academic All American and Top 5 All American in the same season). Walton did it three times. Here is the list: Shane Battier - Duke (2001) Dan Dickau - Gonzaga (2002) Emeka Okafor - UConn (2004) D.J. Augustine - Texas (2008) Kelly Olynyk - Gonzaga (2013) Nigel Williams-Goss - Gonzaga (2017) Thus .... half of these guys are Zags.
            Nice GZ....I choose the invisible number 5. All of the above...

Go!! Zags!!!
            "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Comment

• Coach Crazy
              • Apr 2011

Care 0% about the Academic AA's. The 4 Sweet 16's is a testament to the rise of this program, and it bolsters the 20-year appearance streak.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                Zag for Life
                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Coach Crazy View Post
                Care 0% about the Academic AA's. The 4 Sweet 16's is a testament to the rise of this program, and it bolsters the 20-year appearance streak.
                You care 0% about academics? That seems very un-coach-like.

Comment

• gueastcoast
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

I care about all of them, but the Academic AAs with straight AAs statistic is truly special/differentiating...unless and until they start paying the kids, colleges (and fans) should take the "student athlete" concept seriously.

That's the Gonzaga I attended and continue to serve.
                  Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Comment

• rennis
                    Zag for Life
                    • Oct 2007

Q: How many Bill Walton Double Doubles does the MWC have?

A: No less than they did before.

hahahahahahaa
                    Originally posted by Coach Few
                    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Comment

• SWZag
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

When a student athlete succeeds and receives awards for their studies, that should take precedents over all else. One admirable thing about GU is not just putting together a basketball team, volleyball team, baseball team or cross-country team,, but giving young student athletes the necessary tools to get a great education and be successful in life after sports.

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2009

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
                        I "could" have change the verbiage to "which of these are you most 'proud' of"?

I went with the All Americans as well.

Interesting side note .... in their history Gonzaga Basketball has had a total of 16 Academic All Americans (1st team, 2nd team, 3rd team) including one Academic All American of the year (Jeff Brown).

OTOH, the University of Washington has had a Grand Total of 1 (one). That was Nigel Williams-Goss when he made 3rd team as a soph. 16 to 1. Kinda like our recent winning record against the Huskies.
                        We’ve had three impressive Academic All-Americans transfer in from UW. Jeff Brown and Dan Dickau also selected the GU upgrade after loitering in Seattle for a season or two.
                        “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
                          Administrator
                          • Apr 2009

I think the most impressive achievement of all is the athletic department’s collective graduation rate, which is currently tied for best in the nation.

“No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• former1dog
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Academic excellence by our student athletes is a shared cultural value across the athletics department and a tremendous amount of resources ($money) is dedicated towards that excellence.

Frankly, I think it has become much more important part of the culture since I've been there. Academic excellence at Gonzaga in general has increased as the enrollment demand has increased. The academic resumes of prospective students across the board are starting to rival top private schools across the west.

Comment

• Mantua
                              Zag for Life
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by former1dog View Post
                              Academic excellence by our student athletes is a shared cultural value across the athletics department and a tremendous amount of resources ($money) is dedicated towards that excellence.

Frankly, I think it has become much more important part of the culture since I've been there. Academic excellence at Gonzaga in general has increased as the enrollment demand has increased. The academic resumes of prospective students across the board are starting to rival top private schools across the west.
                              Most college basketball players don’t go pro so most players are in school primarily for academics. I picked #4.
                              Bonjour tristesse.

Comment

Working...
                              X