Thread: 2019 Recruits

Hybrid View

Default 2019 Recruits

Couple of things I'm hearing from a pretty reliable source on who is going to verbal (or have, but no offical announcement yet)for 2019. Looks like we will be seeing double again with the twins from Houston Texas. That will help with the point guard position.

Also the 6'5" post from Northwest Christian was on campus early this week working out for the staff before they left for the final 4. She is transferring to a D1 program somewhere. Maybe it will be us.

the Truong twins...about 5'7"..... if that's who you're referring too......I guessed that several weeks ago when Craig retweeted them....ha ha I got a scope...that and knowing JB was thinking of leaving many months ago, that from an extended family member of hers...

the Truong twins have you tube videos out there....

excited about the NWC girl....we need her height..

any news if we've tried for Louise Brown?....she would be a grad transfer, and could play right away, like JB could if she wanted...

Quote Originally Posted by sylean View Post
    the Truong twins...about 5'7"..... if that's who you're referring too......I guessed that several weeks ago when Craig retweeted them....ha ha I got a scope...that and knowing JB was thinking of leaving many months ago, that from an extended family member of hers...

the Truong twins have you tube videos out there....

excited about the NWC girl....we need her height..

any news if we've tried for Louise Brown?....she would be a grad transfer, and could play right away, like JB could if she wanted...
    I hope you mean scoop and not scope.

To actually earn a true scoop, you have to be the first to announce it to the board.

This would have been a great topic to bring to our attention, several weeks ago, when you first saw that CF retweeted the twins.

I don't think we need a direct replacement for JB. JW shoots the same percentage and plays better defense than JB ever did and we have LW as back-up. We just need her to take more shots and without JB on the floor I think that will happen naturally. We have two (2) players coming in next year who play the wing and forward, so I think we are fine in these two positions. If we are going to use a scholarship we need either a true post player (6'4", 6'5" or taller with a bigger body), a true point guard or a sharp shooter from outside.

As far as Louise Brown goes, she is a (6'3") redshirt junior this year, thus she can't directly transfer unless she graduates this year and goes the grad transfer route. At 6'3" I don't think she gives us anything that we don't already have except maybe some more experience. She typically plays forward and we have a fair number of forwards already. For the year, LB played in 28 games and averaged 6.4 points and 6.0 rebounds per game in 23.7 minutes. For the year she had 15 steals and 49 assists. I just don't see the production for the time played to give up a scholarship. I don't know how she would feel about playing the post. If we can't do any better, then LB would give us some added depth and height in the #4/#5 position and it would only be for a year. The negative is that she would be another player leaving after next year (back to 4) leaving the team short of experienced players. I personally would prefer either a taller/bigger post or sharp shooter from either the grad transfer, transfer or recruit where we would get more years for our scholarship. If you can get a freshman or sophomore transfer, then any of the needs could be addressed but they would not help next year.

Obviously, we don't know who is on the recruiting horizon, so maybe we will have a taller post coming in 2019 and we can use the extra scholarship as a bandaid for this upcoming year.

ZagDad
    Last edited by ZagDad84; 04-01-2018 at 05:08 PM.

I see that CLF has announced on her Twitter that Anamarie Virjoghe is going to be a ZAG. 6' 5", that will help in 2019

Anamarie Virjoghe played for Northwest Christian as a freshman last season. She's from Romania. NCU is an NAIA team out of Eugene. They played the Bulldogs in an exhibition game last November in what turned out to be a Gonzaga rout. Anamarie scored 7 points. The coaches must have remembered her from that game. She went on to have a great season for NCU. They had their best year ever, finishing at 23-7. She led the team in scoring at a 15.4 pace, shot 50% from the floor, and was a 71% free throw shooter. She was the first ever player from the school ever named to the NAIA All-American squad, being selected as an Honorable Mention. It's a big step up from NAIA to NCAA Division 1. Looks like she has some skills at the lower level, let's hope she can continue her success at Gonzaga.

Quote Originally Posted by zag on the run View Post
    I see that CLF has announced on her Twitter that Anamarie Virjoghe is going to be a ZAG. 6' 5", that will help in 2019
    Northwest Christian University's "Freshman Anamaria Virjoghe was listed among the All-America honorable mention selections. ... Virjoghe led the Beacons with 461 points on the season, averaging 15.4 points per game while also averaging 6.5 rebounds and 2.3 blocks per contest. Of the 60 players named to the First, Second, and Third Teams and the honorable mention list, Virjoghe is one of just two freshmen selected and one of only eight underclassmen."

http://www.gobeacons.com/news/2018/3...rican-nod.aspx

Last August Anamaria played on Romania's FIBA Under-19 European Championship team, averaging almost 19 minutes/game, and scoring 5.5 ppg on 41.7% fg shooting. She averaged 5.1 rpg, .5 apg, .3 spg, 1.9 topg, 1.6 bpg, and 1.9 fpg. Her recorded height then was 6' 3.85".

http://www.fiba.basketball/europe/u1...maria-Virjoghe
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

maybe Anamaria can get some special Notre Dame sauce and be able to play right away..