Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2019 Recruits

Can’t disagree on the undergrad transfers. The ones that came in after a year at another school have been great.
    Chandler and Katie are two of the current transfers that have had a positive impact on the team. Both I believe were on GU’s radar while in high school.

Question.. does the player contact the university they would like to attend after they request a release from their current contract?

Go Zags!!

My Bad.

Thanks Skip for pointing out I only missed the two most obvious transfers, the ones currently on the team.

I guess I could have used another cup of coffee before making that post.

Nobody can talk with a student athlete while they are under scholarship with another team. The student "athlete" has to be a "free agent" before they can be contacted. I would assume there is nothing wrong with a student contacting a university after they have been released from their scholarship.

ZagDad

Thought I would throw out there what I know or at least think I know from the summer recruiting so far. I was able to talk with the staff over the weekend. They keep things pretty hush hush I think because a lot of the work they are doing can change very quickly with AAU coaches, High School coaches, parents and the actual girls themselves. During the first 2 weeks of July our coaches have been in Portland, Oakland, San Jose, LA, Chicago, Kansas City, Orlando and Seattle. They have a quite week this week and then back out there for the remainder of July. Still hearing they want to sign 2 more to the 2019 class. Alyssa Pili is very high on the Zags list but not expected to declare her choice until fall. I think that would be a good one to get. As far as I know there are no grad transfers this year.

Thanks for the Update Zags on the Run.

Best info we have heard to date.

ZagDad

I have been following Pili for several months...one of our coaches tweeted or FB'd her and her HS team....Pili has been Gatorade player of the year 2 yrs in a row, is rated a 4 star.

she would be a terrific get....

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    She is only a sophomore but if Gonzaga didn't know about Hailey Van Lith at Cashmere.....they probably know about her now as she led her high school team to a championship at Hoop Fest...Can't miss....another Pangos....
    Well if they still don't know about her, young Hailey Van Lith of Cashmere WA. was on the USA U17 team.... (can you imagine being that young and traveling the world)….. that has just won the World Championship in Minsk, Belarus....

And she has been selected to play on the U18..... (she is just a sophomore !!!)….. 3 on 3 Youth Olympic Games in Buenos Aries , Argentina …..

I see that we have made Alissa Pili top 5. USC, ASU, Pepperdine and TCU are the others. She is rumored to be on campus again for an offical visit in early October.

I believe her brother plays football for USC.....

If you get a chance take a look at Charolette Whittaker from New Zealand's highlights. Zag coaches were over there last weekend and she is having a campus visit this week. 6' 3" post that looks she can play. Hope she has a great visit.

Thanks for the heads up Zag on the Run.

The highlight videos focus primarily on her offensive skills, so don't show much of her defensive skills beyond some good anticipation on steals and the occasional block.

My thoughts after viewing several of her highlight videos:
    - She seems to run the court pretty well
    - She's a lefty.
    - She is very aggressive taking the ball to the hoop
    - She positions herself so the guards have somewhere to pass her the ball (pass her open).
    - Her shooting range appears to be 12-15' and in. I did not see her take a single 3.
    - Her body structure is larger than our current staff.
    - She seems very willing to in part her will on her opposition. Something we need.

Here are some direct links to some of her videos:
    Link #1: http://www.fiba.basketball/oceania/u...Rose-Whittaker
    (Profile/Stat page from U17 Oceana Championships)

Link #2 - https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...8538&FORM=VIRE

Link#3 - https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...85F9&FORM=VIRE

Link#4 - https://www.facebook.com/basketballn...type=3&theater
    (Basketball New Zealand Profile Page)

She looks very promising. Hope she has a great visit.

ZagDad

Sounds like 6'2" Eliza Hollingsworth from Australia has verbably committed to become a Zag. Check out her highlights. I know the coaching staff is still trying to land one more post player for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    She is only a sophomore but if Gonzaga didn't know about Hailey Van Lith at Cashmere.....they probably know about her now as she led her high school team to a championship at Hoop Fest...Can't miss....another Pangos....

Van Lith is already being closely watched by a number of the nation’s college programs, such as UConn, Louisville, Baylor, Notre Dame, Ohio State and every school in the Pac-12 conference.

Van Lith isn't alone in the '20 in state class. Prospects Nation has 4 of the top 40ish from the state of Washington. I can't think of there ever being that many highly rated prospects here in one class. There's also (#15) Dalayah Daniels 6-3 from Garfield, (#36) Meghan Fiso 5-11 from West Seattle and (#42) Jordyn Jenkins 6-3 from Kentridge. They have Van Lith ranked #2.

See that Alissa Pili has decided to join her brother at USC. I was really hoping she'd choose to be a Zag, but I guess family ties are hard to ignore.

Thanks for all the updates everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavebear33 View Post
    See that Alissa Pili has decided to join her brother at USC. I was really hoping she'd choose to be a Zag, but I guess family ties are hard to ignore.

thought for sure she was heading our way

Thought the same Sylean. I think that Hollingsworth is going to do fine. She looks like she will hold her own. Has alot of international experience playing for Australia. 2019 class is looking pretty strong.

Try looking at "raoul" on twitter for basketball news

or this

https://wbbblog.com/2018/04/14/2019-class-finalists/

Quote Originally Posted by zag on the run View Post
    Sounds like 6'2" Eliza Hollingsworth from Australia has verbably committed to become a Zag. Check out her highlights. I know the coaching staff is still trying to land one more post player for next year.
    I watched most of the videos of both Charolette Whittaker (NZ) and Eliza Hollingsworth (AUS) I could find. I thought Charolette was more polished overall, had more skill at establishing inside position (offensive and defensive) on both sides of the ball and had a very strong, definitive drive to the hoop. Charolette did not appear to have a great outside shot. Eliza appears to be the better offensive weapon with the ability to shoot from 3 pt land on in. She was not near the force that Charolette showed on the defensive side of the ball.

Both ladies appear to be very good players, and the better player depends on what you want or how you want that player to play. Charolette appears to be a defensive stopper with some strong offensive skills from 10 feet on in. Eliza, not a force on defense but can stretch the defense out to the 3pt line.

ZagDad

I believe that Charolette chose Colorado. To me both girls look like they have a different body type than what we currently have on the roster. Always interesting to see how they develope with a couple of years of work in the program. With Kylee possibly redshirting, Anna Maria redshirting, Eliza and Truong Twins coming on board CLF has almost set up a complete lineup in a couple of years with the 2019 class.

Eliza Hollingsworth is the closest thing to Jill Barta I've seen. Very similar. Really like how she pump-fakes and drives into the lane. Nice shooter.

Great get.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

is she a sure thing?

To the best of my knowledge, no 2019 recruit has signed their LOI as of yet. All are verbal commitments only.

The Early signing period is Nov 14 - Nov 21, 2018 with the regular signing period April 17 - May 15, 2019.

Until the name is on the dotted line, nothing is guaranteed and even then they can always asked to be released, leave campus, etc. The key is the kids can still re-open their recruitment until they sign their LOI.

ZagDad

thx.....

still hoping for an above average size girl.....6'5 or above......