X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zagdawg
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

21 pts and 7 boards in the win (5-6 from three)

Comment

• ZagNative
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Montverde meets University at 9:00 AM tomorrow on ESPN. Set your DVRs.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
        Banned
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zagdawg View Post
        He played really well and Paul Bianchardi mentioned him coming to Gonzaga next year and how we got a really good player.
        Last edited by thespywhozaggedme; 03-30-2018, 04:36 PM.

Comment

• GonzaGAW
          Zag for Life
          • Aug 2012

- fillips 4 3's in first quarter put his team out ahead by 10 and they kept that lead the whole game.
          - finishes with 5 for 6 from long range, and 21 points.

- I like that when a shot goes us he is always looking for a player to box out for a rebound
          - he sets a decent, still, screen up top for his teammate

- needs work on strength is my guess, as his game is finesse, he does not look to play a physical game at all.

Comment

• sittingon50
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zagdawg View Post

That'll work.
            But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• OrlandoZag1995
              Redshirt
              • Apr 2018

Let me say first that, though I am posting for the first time today, I have enjoyed reading GUBoards for years. Thank you to all those who keep the site going. I am a high school coach in the Orlando area and we played Montverde our first game of the year. We were a state final four participant in the 2A classification, but were obviously not at the level of Montverde and lost by 28.

I'd like to offer my impressions of Filip...

He is tremendously skilled for a 6'10" kid -- an elite shooter for his position. Right now, he's definitely more of a stretch 4 than a back-to-the-basket 5. Does have some trouble finishing over defenders in the lane. He seemed to have a very high basketball IQ and definitely played with an even, unselfish temperament. He struck me as a good, but not great athlete. He is well-coordinated and has good feet, but is not super quick or explosive. It's hard to tell how he would approach the game if he were "the man" on his team instead of a complimentary piece, but I think he has played so much high-level basketball that he could contribute next year if needed. The biggest question I had about him as we scouted Montverde was his general toughness. It appeared that he lacked "nastiness" and that we could be physical with him. How would he do in a D1 college basketball game? I could see him able to hold his own and provide some solid minutes. Montverde is very well coached and so his understanding of the game (spacing, passing, cutting, etc) will be good. Will he be physical and aggressive enough to defend his position and rebound effectively? We'll have to see. I could definitely see him knocking down an open shot and making good decisions with the ball -- a non-negotiable in Coach Few's system. You never can tell how a young man is going to continue to develop in college, but given the GU staff's track record of player development, I could certainly see Filip (who seems very coachable and already possesses some wonderful tools to work with) excelling at Gonzaga and being an all-WCC caliber player in the future. I am looking forward to watching his career. Welcome Filip and good luck.

Comment

• caldwellzag
                Zag for Life
                • Jan 2018

Originally posted by OrlandoZag1995 View Post
                Let me say first that, though I am posting for the first time today, I have enjoyed reading GUBoards for years. Thank you to all those who keep the site going. I am a high school coach in the Orlando area and we played Montverde our first game of the year. We were a state final four participant in the 2A classification, but were obviously not at the level of Montverde and lost by 28.

He is tremendously skilled for a 6'10" kid -- an elite shooter for his position. Right now, he's definitely more of a stretch 4 than a back-to-the-basket 5. Does have some trouble finishing over defenders in the lane. He seemed to have a very high basketball IQ and definitely played with an even, unselfish temperament. He struck me as a good, but not great athlete. He is well-coordinated and has good feet, but is not super quick or explosive. It's hard to tell how he would approach the game if he were "the man" on his team instead of a complimentary piece, but I think he has played so much high-level basketball that he could contribute next year if needed. The biggest question I had about him as we scouted Montverde was his general toughness. It appeared that he lacked "nastiness" and that we could be physical with him. How would he do in a D1 college basketball game? I could see him able to hold his own and provide some solid minutes. Montverde is very well coached and so his understanding of the game (spacing, passing, cutting, etc) will be good. Will he be physical and aggressive enough to defend his position and rebound effectively? We'll have to see. I could definitely see him knocking down an open shot and making good decisions with the ball -- a non-negotiable in Coach Few's system. You never can tell how a young man is going to continue to develop in college, but given the GU staff's track record of player development, I could certainly see Filip (who seems very coachable and already possesses some wonderful tools to work with) excelling at Gonzaga and being an all-WCC caliber player in the future. I am looking forward to watching his career. Welcome Filip and good luck.
                Thank you for the write up. I am excited to see him join the team this fall!

Comment

• Coach Crazy
                  • Apr 2011

Originally posted by OrlandoZag1995 View Post

Money take. Post more, bro.

Comment

• GrizZAG
                    Zag for Life
                    • Nov 2009

Welcome! Nice to have another coach on board. Thank you for the great overview.
                    One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Comment

• sittingon50
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Thanks very much Orlando & congrats on your own successful season!
                      But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• ZAG 4 LIFE
                        Kennel Club
                        • Nov 2014

Based solely on the 2 times I watched Filip on TV... this analysis appears to be spot on.
                        Thanks for posting.

Comment

• zagamatic
                          Zag for Life
                          • Aug 2009

I haven't watched Filip play yet, but from what I've read it kinda sounds like he might be Tillie 2.0, would that be a fair comparison?

Comment

• OntZags
                            Professional Zag Fan
                            • Jan 2017

Originally posted by zagamatic View Post
                            I haven't watched Filip play yet, but from what I've read it kinda sounds like he might be Tillie 2.0, would that be a fair comparison?
                            I only saw a couple of his HS games but kind of.

A little bigger but not as bouncy as Killian. Neither really seems to have much of a post up game but Tillie definitely has more of an ability to put the ball on the floor and get to the bucket and has more of that mid-range floater aspect to his game. Petrusev's outside shooting seems to be further developed than where Killian was at as a freshman.

Similar in overall calibre, although I think Killian would have been ranked ~20 spots higher if he had played his HS Sr year in America.

With all the talent returning (especially if Jacob makes a leap this season), I suspect he'll see a smaller role than Killian did as a freshman but this year is about him acclimatizing to D-1 and working on his body and hopefully get to pick a few spots here and there during the season to gain confidence. But in time he's going to be a very good one for the Zags.

Comment

• Hoopaholic
                              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by OntZags View Post
                              I only saw a couple of his HS games but kind of.

A little bigger but not as bouncy as Killian. Neither really seems to have much of a post up game but Tillie definitely has more of an ability to put the ball on the floor and get to the bucket and has more of that mid-range floater aspect to his game. Petrusev's outside shooting seems to be further developed than where Killian was at as a freshman.

Similar in overall calibre, although I think Killian would have been ranked ~20 spots higher if he had played his HS Sr year in America.

With all the talent returning (especially if Jacob makes a leap this season), I suspect he'll see a smaller role than Killian did as a freshman but this year is about him acclimatizing to D-1 and working on his body and hopefully get to pick a few spots here and there during the season to gain confidence. But in time he's going to be a very good one for the Zags.
                              3 rebounds and 4 points was what Tillie gave his freshman year so you think he can’t/won’t contribute above that level. That would disappoint me from what I have seen
                              The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• OntZags
                                Professional Zag Fan
                                • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Hoopaholic View Post
                                3 rebounds and 4 points was what Tillie gave his freshman year so you think he can’t/won’t contribute above that level. That would disappoint me from what I have seen
                                It's not about raw numbers but the fact that there is only 200 minutes to go around. Tillie was the clear 4th big in 2017.

Petrusev is maybe tied for the 4th big in 2019 but Larsen brings a dynamic that we don't have with any of the other 3 bigs.

Assuming we land a quality guard, that pushes Norvell to see more minutes at the 3 and Rui at the 4.

A hypothetical top-6 of Tillie/Rui/Clarke/Norvell/Cremilliams/Perkins is gonna tally no less than 140 minutes. Almost certainly more.

Then you have Kispert/Larsen. Not likely to go down from last year of ~28 so lets say 30.

Ayayi is breaking into the rotation. How big a role remains to be seen but I'm confident in the 10-15 range.

Which doesn't leave much for everyone else. Petrusev would get the most of the remaining but it's hard to envision scenarios where he's seeing more than ~10 minutes a game barring injuries. (knock on wood) I'm excited for him but the team is deep that I think he is looking at a role somewhere between Rui & Tillie in 2017. Which is going to be fine because he is still going to develop like crazy battling such talented teammates in practice. He'll get his time to shine.

Comment

Working...
                                X