Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Transfers

Most of the twitter noise im seeing on Aaron Calixte is to Oklahoma. Lon Kruger is hot on his trail.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsmoove View Post
    Seems like a patient and willing distributor, good ability to create his own shot off the dribble both in the lane and on the perimeter. I like him, a little smallish, but i dont see why that couldnt work out. Philly, where did you hear we are looking at him?
    https://twitter.com/coreyevans_10/st...929882625?s=19

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Meh.. a 5'11 scorer with an assist to turnover ratio of less than 1:1... pass.
    102 Assists/ 121 TO's. Gulp.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    102 Assists/ 121 TO's. Gulp.
    I think it is important to remember that even J3 had some stats that were not incredibly reassuring. Granted he was a few years younger. That ratio should be cause for concern. But I would look into the "why", as well. The cadence to his pace is impressive. He works the floor with a lot of patience and vision for a ball handler. And he have a nice touch in the mid-range. Which, for a dribble-drive motion guard, can be a killer for a defense. Would also be interesting see where he fits in, here.

[QUOTE=Coach Crazy;1381776]I think it is important to remember that even J3 had some stats that were not incredibly reassuring.QUOTE]

Agreed Coach, but we're talking about a point guard here. He starts bouncing the ball off the cheerleader's heads in Few's system and his butt is gathering splinters. Agree?

[QUOTE=sittingon50;1381789]
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Crazy View Post
    I think it is important to remember that even J3 had some stats that were not incredibly reassuring.QUOTE]

Agreed Coach, but we're talking about a point guard here. He starts bouncing the ball off the cheerleader's heads in Few's system and his butt is gathering splinters. Agree?
    Very much agree. And from what I am seeing, we had a cheerleader in the past who wasn't great at spelling. Don't need a head injury making that an issue again. Talk about a buzz kill for cheers that are supposed to get people amped up:

"G-O-N...wait, did Suzie just put up the "A"?! Gonazga?! Must be one of those North Central cheerleaders..."

It all comes down to whether or not he is in a system that doesn't fit, and/or if the coaching just isn't there. And it really depends on what you are looking for, in terms of a fit. This is a second unit point guard. Josh has transformed. Unless he (Josh) wants to be an off-ball guard, a kid like this doesn't make sense as a starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Confident player. Probably has a lot to do with turnover ratio. We need guards that can create and breakdown a defense. I’d take this kid in a heartbeat. Could see him spell Josh at point so Josh could get a few more open looks.

Justin Coleman. Grad transfer from Samford. 13.5 ppg 6.6 assts per game vs 2.7 turnovers.

Ehab Amin. Grad transfer from Texas A&M Corpus Christie 16.9 ppg 6.6 rebounds per game , 2.9 assists. 6-4 guard

My system here at work won't let me open the link Philly posted above; will have to check it out tonight.

You guys are throwing a lot of names out there.

Florida State PG C.J. Walker to transfer.

If you can't beat him, get him to join?

Just kidding I think, but it is pretty interesting that he wants to play somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooray4Daye&Gray View Post
    Florida State PG C.J. Walker to transfer.

If you can't beat him, get him to join?

Just kidding I think, but it is pretty interesting that he wants to play somewhere else.
    OT --

I'm over the loss, yet we had no business losing to that team. None.

They mucked it up, out-athlete'd, and used their depth well, yet we are a much better basketball team.

I felt like we played right into their hands/gameplan.

Michigan only scored 58 points vs FSU, yet they never panicked. Or rushed shots. They played precise and grinded with them. They felt the pressure but just patience was KEY. I said as much before the game and we did the exact opposite.

The young guys, especially, fell for their ploys. I thought Josh did a nice job given the constant pressure, yet while Norvell made some shots yet a big reason we lost that game (he saved us in Rd 1 and Rd 2, so take the good with the bad). Silas had no business shooting 12 shots either. And Kispert laid some eggs when we were within 5 pts. They will learn.

Not a terrible loss, but a game we should have won and advanced.

/end rant. Apologies for OT reply.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsmoove View Post
    I watched a little of Flynns game and i just wonder if he cares about winning plays.
    I watched quite a few of the Cougs' games, and couldn't disagree more. Their only Pac caliber players were Flynn and Franks, both of whom had to score a lot for them to have a chance. Flynn moved the ball really well for them, and as someone said above, had to take the tough shots when the clock was winding down. Hit at least a couple of big game-winning shots. Very clutch in some of the games I saw.

I'm very confident from watching him that he'd play well in the Zags' system. Drawbacks I see are size and lack of elite athleticism, but a very good basketball player.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    I watched quite a few of the Cougs' games, and couldn't disagree more. Their only Pac caliber players were Flynn and Franks, both of whom had to score a lot for them to have a chance. Flynn moved the ball really well for them, and as someone said above, had to take the tough shots when the clock was winding down. Hit at least a couple of big game-winning shots. Very clutch in some of the games I saw.

I'm very confident from watching him that he'd play well in the Zags' system. Drawbacks I see are size and lack of elite athleticism, but a very good basketball player.
    I would take Malachi all day, every day, including on Tuesday.

He would be a tremendous guard to have in our RS program. Would be fortunate to get a player like him sit out a year.

Actually, flashes some NWG in his game. Not as polished/efficient overall, but similar style on the court. Makes the right play more often than not, can score, pass, and excellent handles.

I don't believe he has any interest, yet I would take him in a heart beat.

(he didn't shoot the ball particularly well last season, yet he shot 39% 3pt and over 150 attempts as a Frosh, so I know he can shoot when taking good shots)

And he did it with a bad team in a tougher league. 39% from 3 is a bit better than our own guys did outside of Tillie. He's a good player. He'll improve. Good tools and coachable. PLUS he's from Bellarmine Prep. lol

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    And he did it with a bad team in a tougher league. 39% from 3 is a bit better than our own guys did outside of Tillie. He's a good player. He'll improve. Good tools and coachable. PLUS he's from Bellarmine Prep. lol
    Ummm...darn facts.

Flynn 34%

Tillie 48%
    Perkins 39%
    Melson 37%
    Norvell 37%

https://www.foxsports.com/college-ba...n-player-stats

Only Sorta. I looked at the top line wherein his 3 pt % is 387 % (basically 39%) from his first year.

Quote Originally Posted by cggonzaga View Post
    Ummm...darn facts.

Flynn 34%

Tillie 48%
    Perkins 39%
    Melson 37%
    Norvell 37%
    34% was Sophomore season, with over 250 attempts.

39% was Freshman season, with over 150 attempts

Averages out to around 37% with 400 attempts.

That's solid.

And his shot selection would improve mightily, as you might expect, as a Zag.

A long shot he comes here, but he'd be a great get as a transfer.

Some will quibble over minor details but the bottom line is that this kids data is solid and he will contribute to the team. Young and still in development. He's a good player with HS and college stats to back it up. Unless the staff finds somebody clearly better, I'd have him in for a "sit down". Not sure how he was overlooked.

How is his "D"?

Quote Originally Posted by roxdoc View Post
    How is his "D"?
    Defensive liability.

I have 3 things to say on this topic:

1. NO SHORT GUARDS.
    2. NO SHORT GUARDS.
    3. NO SHORT GUARDS.

Six Foot Four, show me more.
    Six Foot Three, talk with me.
    Six Foot Two, bad for you - and go away.

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Zag View Post
    I have 3 things to say on this topic:

1. NO SHORT GUARDS.
    2. NO SHORT GUARDS.
    3. NO SHORT GUARDS.

Six Foot Four, show me more.
    Six Foot Three, talk with me.
    Six Foot Two, bad for you - and go away.

Go Bulldogs!
    Wade/Ravet...

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Wade/Ravet...
    FSU had 9 blocks against Zags... Can’t picture Wade getting his shot off unless it was Curryess