Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Jesuit school heads to the Final Four.

Default A Jesuit school heads to the Final Four.

A Jesuit school heads to the Final Four.

Why is this noteworthy ? It happened last year. . .

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    A Jesuit school heads to the Final Four.
    Congrats!

Given how wide open this year is, I wouldn't be surprised if they won it all.

Very good defensive team that can shoot, and seems tough. Most importantly, showed good leadership in several closely contested games or when things weren't going well for them.

It's what I felt we lacked this year, above all else. Consistent leadership. Not just by example but maintaining composure and toughness when we were off or getting beat. It didn't happen often but when it did, it was obvious. A Freshman was the closest thing we had to a leader on the court. Just because you are the PG, and a good one, doesn't mean you are the leader. Perkins is far from one, even NWG said he barely said a word on the court.

I think we will have it next year. Kispert and Norvell will step up.

Must get this off my chest, but THIS was our year for the taking. IF NWG and Collins would have stayed, we would win the whole damn thing. There, I said it. I believe it. Totally woulda coulda shoulda but still...had to say it once out loud. Hell, even if just NWG would have given it one more year. Done deal.

Zero question in my mind that if nwg and Collins had come back we would have gone undefeated and won the title. Just one of them, still probably do it.

From the Missouri Valley no less....that conference gets no respect....they should join the Mountain West...

I believe they are the only team for Illinois to have won a National Championship in Basketball....or perhaps any sport...

Uh RTZ, we had consistent leadership out of NWG. We had the #1 Defense in the country. We were tough... lol we didn’t lack anything unless you are talking luck of the officials
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    Congrats!

Very good defensive team that can shoot, and seems tough. Most importantly, showed good leadership in several closely contested games or when things weren't going well for them.

It's what I felt we lacked this year, above all else. Consistent leadership. Not just by example but maintaining composure and toughness when we were off or getting beat. It didn't happen often but when it did, it was obvious. A Freshman was the closest thing we had to a leader on the court. Just because you are the PG, and a good one, doesn't mean you are the leader. Perkins is far from one, even NWG said he barely said a word on the court.

Must get this off my chest, but THIS was our year for the taking. IF NWG and Collins would have stayed, we would win the whole damn thing. There, I said it. I believe it. Totally woulda coulda shoulda but still...had to say it once out loud. Hell, even if just NWG would have given it one more year. Done deal.
    That’s like Kentucky saying if Booker, Fox and Towns had stayed they would’ve won it all. It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by raise the zag View Post
    Congrats!

Might have been the favorites but anything can happen in a 1 game playoff. Ask Virginia.

CBS is thrilled....3rd largest TV market

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    TBS is thrilled....3rd largest TV market
    fixed it

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Why is this noteworthy ? It happened last year. . .
    2 years in a row?

Quote Originally Posted by KStyles View Post
    2 years in a row?
    Fair enough. . .

Fair enough. . .
    In my quick research, first back to back appearance for Jesuit colleges since Georgetown in 84 & 85.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    CBS is thrilled....3rd largest TV market
    If St Mary’s made the final 4 do you think the Bay Area would care? I have no idea but have my doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by 509er View Post
    If St Mary’s made the final 4 do you think the Bay Area would care? I have no idea but have my doubts.
    as much as Angelenos would if Loyola or Pepperdine made it....gotta go sun is setting over Catalina right now..... 805 has my name on it....see I'm also part of the problem. I didn't even care to watch Ramblers.

Quote Originally Posted by KStyles View Post
    In my quick research, first back to back appearance for Jesuit colleges since Georgetown in 84 & 85.
    Here's a 2010 blog post by a Marquette grad who ranked the "Top 10" Jesuit post-season basketball events. . .have to think GU's NC runner-up would merit more copy. . .

And there's always: https://www.jesuitbasketball.com/

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Loyola's been a fav since 1963. Obviously Creighton and our Zags.....I think it's noteworthy to get a Jesuit school in the FF every year. Some don't care, some do.........Count me in. Nova is Augustinian.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Loyola's been a fav since 1963. Obviously Creighton and our Zags.....I think it's noteworthy to get a Jesuit school in the FF every year. Some don't care, some do.........Count me in. Nova is Augustinian.
    Agree
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Here's a 2010 blog post by a Marquette grad who ranked the "Top 10" Jesuit post-season basketball events. . .have to think GU's NC runner-up would merit more copy. . .

And there's always: https://www.jesuitbasketball.com/
    There is a link to an interesting Washington Post article on the history of Catholic basketball.

It appears that Catholic dominance originated similarly to current African-American dominance. Poor, urban populations (Irish and Italian at the time) could play cheaply in areas with no access outdoor fields.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    There is a link to an interesting Washington Post article on the history of Catholic basketball.

It appears that Catholic dominance originated similarly to current African-American dominance. Poor, urban populations (Irish and Italian at the time) could play cheaply in areas with no access outdoor fields.

CYO!!!!

The Big East invited the wrong Chicago Catholic university

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    CYO!!!!
    Odd thing is that where I grew up in rural MT, CYO was simply Weds night youth group. The Mormons owned recreational basketball. The whole town got in on that if you wanted to play any ball.

'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post

Forgot the link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...21d_story.html

- Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Nova easy. Branson gotta be Wooden winner. Awesomely coached. Texas Tech playing spooked, like GU vs Nova at MSG.

Two Catholic schools to the Final Four as well. I wonder how many times that has happened?